Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Coordinator: orbitc & ARC: SanzClew
------------------------------------------------------------
Post by Robert04101
Le_Mig402 wrote:Concerning the topic as I understood it, though. All Main Streets within the same city should probably have the same primary city name - then use alternate city names for Main St, town. Whatever is the city layer should be the primary city name for the street to avoid city smudging.

If a business uses a town name for its address, then that town name should definitely be in the alternative name list to allow for proper searching/routing. And some places have overlapping municipalities with towns and neighboring cities and might need 3 or 4 alternate city names depending on the local convention.

I think that's what we've decided thus far in this thread, right?
I think that's right, with one caveat: streets shouldn't use the "Greater [ ] Area" city name even if that's the underlying name in the City Layer.
Robert04101
Send a message

Post by Robert04101
dmcrandall wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:This is not an entirely accurate statement. Waze will process different strings but there has to be a state standard. There are on-going discussion about alt-name shielding, and exactly what will be processed for custom state shields - there is also a TTS component of this conversation.
Noam has followed up on the question regarding shields for Alt Names with a resounding "Not gonna happen."
That raises an interesting issue. The shields are a very valuable visual cue in the app. Street signage for federal and state routes also tends to be clearer using the route number rather than street name.

What do people think about shifting to a convention in which the primary name is always the federal or state number, with the Alt Name set to the local street name?
Robert04101
Send a message

Post by Robert04101
Maine and New Hampshire also clearly delineate urban/rural. Other states may, too.

I'm a little troubled by a "adopt local standards" rule. It's the right one, in principle, but it assumes that (a) there's a uniform local usage and (b) there's some way to ascertain what that usage is.

I prefer a clear rule so that AMs and SMs can review changes and have confidence that changes a local editor has made are appropriate. "What the locals do" isn't confirmable, either by street signs or chats at Dunkies.

To that end, I'd suggest that we use SR- (or State Rte. here in Maine) for rural areas uniformly, and use either SR- or a street name in urban areas.
Robert04101
Send a message

Post by SanzClew
I'd like to go back to Jan's having found documentation that areas controlled by a local government are recognized in MA and there should be a defined map.. is that the case in CT or RI? Would that sort of delineation be acceptable since it appears we have far from a consensus on the zip code as a basis for mapping?

And I found Andyville here
SanzClew
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by SanzClew
As for the highway numbers, I know that we're supposed to not use city names if we're working on freeways, etc. Should we also avoid city names when adding SR-##'s to the alt name field?
SanzClew
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message