Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.
Post by PleaseDriveFast
PesachZ wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:An UPDATE on House Numbers and searchability:

While the address database index is updated with each tile build, the Search server index is NOT updated daily with tile updates. This is why recently added/moved HNs in Waze are not showing changes/adds to House Numbers when searching in the app when we'd expect.

We are not sure if this is currently working as designed and/or if they are planning to make any kind of update to get the Search server to align daily with the House Number index.
I was told to report instances where the search index is not updated within 24 hours after the HN is included in a tile build. Meaning if the HN is added at 23:00 UTC (after the tile cutoff) wait till the next tile build (about 33 hours later for this example), then wait an additonal 24 hours after the tiles are updated. If it is still not indexed, report it to HQ so they start to narrow down the source of the issue.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
Is this related how Waze shows an address in the navigation directions? I have an address that's been nudged (1 month ago), is shown as a house number in search results, but when you select navigation, the navigation instructions end with "Street Name" with no house number.
PleaseDriveFast
Send a message

Post by PleaseDriveFast
On search indexing, does Live Map follow the same indexing as the app? A local editor found a discrepancy with 115 Freeport Rd, Brick, NJ.

If you search the address on Live Map, this pulls the direct Google result and incorrect location. If you search the app, auto complete results use the nudged HN. Shouldn't Live Map be using nudged HNs over Google data?
PleaseDriveFast
Send a message

Post by ruggles76
Within the past couple of months, I have seen quite a few situations where residential place points (RPPs) won't save. With primary credit to ottonomy on point 3 below, I wanted to summarize some of the reasons that seem to cause an error on saving an RPP. I believe some of this behavior is new within that time period, but some may predate it.

1. In theory, it does not matter whether the RPP number conflicts with a HN, and usually this is the case. But in a few cases there seems to be a conflicting HN in a hidden layer, not visible in the editor (probably the HN index discussed earlier in this thread); when this is the case you get an error even if you delete the HN corresponding to the new RPP. However, if you not only delete it, but wait a couple of tile updates for the HN index update, then you can then add both the HN and RPP (strongly suggesting that the original conflict wasn't due to a conflict with the visible layer of HNs). This process usually clears this conflict. I always find it useful to have the HN showing on the real building, if only for reference by editors, since the RPP is often some distance away and may not identify the building.

2. There is an apparent limitation on how far a RPP can be from the corresponding Google Pin (assuming there is one). This seems to be in the range of 200 meters, but this is just a guess from experience. If/as soon as you are able to move the Google pin, you can save the RPP. I haven't yet found a way to save an RPP too far from the Google pin, if Google won't move the pin. This behavior seemed to begin sometime in the fall of 2015, I didn't experience it before that.

3. RPPs may not save if there are HNs on the segment and the corresponding drive points are out of order. I am not completely clear on the exact parameters that cause it to fail validation (it may be that it's only if the HN that corresponds to the RPP has a drive point that's out of order relative to its neighbors, but anecdotally it seems broader than that). The fix is to first put all the drive points in order (and you may also need to wait for one or two tile update cycles). Then you can generally create the RPP, and then put the drive points back where you need them.

4. RPPs as well as confirmed HNs may be ignored if the street name or city on the RPP or on the Waze street does not match the ones on the Google pin. In this case Waze doesn't detect a match and therefore uses the Google pin. The fix is to change one or both so they match (preferably fix the one that's wrong!). I haven't yet fully tested the impact of alternate names, it's possible that adding an alternate name on the Waze street to match Google may resolve certain situations.

If you can't get Google to move a pin, and need a drive point that's on a different road than the named road, and beyond the distance range from the pin for a RPP, you may be able to create a short segment of a road with the same name as the main road, and add the HN there (in case of certain conflicts you may need to start with a different name and then change it after adding the HN and saving). I haven't tested this yet and there may be unwanted side effects, but it's on my list to try.
ruggles76
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Area Manager (AM) - Chicago Metro Area

Post by ruggles76
voludu2 wrote:...wouldn't it be more effective simply to work with the GMM address pins, eliminate HNs altogether, and ignore RPPs / leave them for those who want photos of their houses?
I think it's a mixed bag. I have found it useful to work with GMM pins first, if the pin is far off. In Chicago, where i do most of my editing, on the other hand, it's usually that the GMM pin is closer to the alley behind the address, and nudging an unconfirmed HN fixes the problem quite easily. As I've been monitoring misrouting issues others have brought into chat, however, my first question is always "is GM correct", and most often the answer is "no". Despite some chastising from editors more senior than me, I recommend at least checking the GMM location first, because fixing it may save problems later, and doesn't close out any options.

I didn't mean to suggest that HNs or RPPs don't usually work, they actually do. I've confirmed about 100K HNs and had few problems with routings on those addresses thereafter, except when bad addresses are cached in reporters' phones, which is hard to avoid. I use RPPs a lot with corner lots when the address is on one street and the driveway is on another. But I also have run into maybe a few dozen situations where they're hard to save, hence my post. Out of 100K, a few dozen isn't really that much. They're most often in sprawling apartment complexes where the GM pins may all be clustered at the entrance. And I've only got a couple I'm currently working where the techniques I've cited don't fix the problem; hopefully I'll figure those out too.

I actually welcome the integration of GM and Waze, even at the HN level. It's better for everyone if we have a single source of truth. But GM and Waze have different purposes and we need further maturation in understanding and accounting for those differences, and features for Waze editors to represent them appropriately on the Waze map. I do think we as Waze editors need to be able to override GM endpoints in some circumstances, but those situations really aren't all that common. The controls on doing that are just not yet well tuned. I think Waze is taking some early steps toward merging the two databases, but there are going to be a lot of rough spots along that trail; these are some of them.

What I'd really like to see is a shared Waze/GM database of HNs that include both the pin location and the Waze drive point. Those are two distinct needs, only one of which is covered by GM today.
ruggles76
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by ruggles76
RPPs are finicky. If you can't save one, first check that all confirmed HNs on the street have stop points that are in numerical order on each side - you may need to move some of them temporarily to accomplish this. If all HNs are confirmed and no HNs are forced then this won't be an issue.

If you still can't save the RPP, then delete the corresponding HN and wait TWO tile updates. There appears to be a hidden HN layer that needs to be reindexed to clear the conflict, and I believe it's the same one that gets updated every other tile update. You should now be able to add the RPP, and then (if you want to) add the HN back (it has no effect on navigation when you have an RPP, but can be helpful in locating the building on the map).

I've also run into issues trying to put an RPP too far from the road of its address, or too far from the corresponding Google pin. Sometimes you can fake out the location by temporarily moving the road as suggested above, or temporarily renaming a short section of the nearest road. In the latter case you may again need to wait one or two tile builds, and don't forget to undo the name change. If the Google pin is too far away, the only solution may be to move the Google pin first.
ruggles76
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by RussPA
The announcement may have been a bit premature, it also said there are still some details to be worked out, so I'm sure we'll be filled in at some point, hopefully soon.
RussPA
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 4
Send a message

Assistant Regional Coordinator - NOR
Global Champ - US
WME Beta Community Coordinator

Post by RussPA
elvieserious wrote:Hi. This is my first time to post. I read some statements about updating house numbers, about imported location. I would like to request that my house number be put in Waze. How can I do it? Thanks.
You can do it yourself from the app. If you go to the Places report, then tap "This is a residential place", then fill in the info on the screen, you will have added your house number to the map. Just be sure to do this from your driveway or at your house, not down the street or anything. Your other option is to post this in your local forum (assuming you are in the US) so a local editor can handle your request.
RussPA
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Global Champ - US

Post by RussPA
The House Numbers Wazo has been updated recently with all the findings and changes, including interpolation and the Address search hierarchy. It should answer your questions.
RussPA
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Global Champ - US

Post by RussPA
SpencerFG wrote:I'm very happy that Waze will now interpolate HN's but the following paragraph should use the term "extrapolate."
Finally, Waze will estimate some house numbers beyond where house numbers are marked in the WME. For example, if house numbers 4, 6, and 8 are marked on a named road, Waze will also interpolate (at least) numbers 2 and 10.
From Wikipedia: "In mathematics, extrapolation is the process of estimating, beyond the original observation range, the value of a variable on the basis of its relationship with another variable. It is similar to interpolation, which produces estimates between known observations, but extrapolation is subject to greater uncertainty and a higher risk of producing meaningless results."

So I think it's a matter of accuracy between the two terms, with interpolation giving more precise results (which hopefully is what happens with HN :lol: )
RussPA
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Global Champ - US

Post by SpencerFG
I encountered this problem for the first time today. I was adding addresses in a neighborhood that had no street names so I added them. Then to satisfy a UR I tried to add an RPP on the "new" street. I'm wondering if my particular problem is that I need to have a tile update in order to attach the RPP.
SpencerFG
Send a message