{DISCUSSION} Pages Nominated for Wazopedia GLOBAL wiki

Moderator: Unholy

{DISCUSSION} Pages Nominated for Wazopedia GLOBAL wiki

Postby PesachZ » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:15 pm

I am starting this thread as a placeholder for discussion. This thread will be linked to from each page which has been nominated to be included in the new Wazopedia global wiki.

Editors can discuss here if they feel a certain page should be nominated to be included as a Global page in the global instance of the soon-to-be new Wazopedia.
They can also use this thread to discuss if they think a page which has already been nominated for the global wiki, would be better left out of the global wiki, and instead belongs better in a local wiki.

Anyone interested in the conversation on which pages should be moved to the global wiki in the new Wazopedia structure, should subscribe to this thread. (Hint: I recommend all Wiki Masters subscribe )

For a complete list of all pages currently nominated for the global wiki, see the Google spreadsheet, or the wiki category list.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Re: {DISCUSSION} Pages Nominated for Wazopedia GLOBAL wiki

Postby Timbones » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:05 am

I have spotted two pages that I feel should not be considered as global pages:

• Abbreviations and acronyms - These are local guidelines only with no generic information
  • Landmarks by Type (US)
    1) this page doesn't appear to contain any useful information (yet?)
    2) these only apply to US English, and will have been translated for other languages
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby Timbones » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:15 am

I feel that Road Types/USA and Road Names/USA need significant rewrites in order to be truly global, though I'm happy for this to be done after the transfer to Wazeopedia as long as it's done "soon".
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby sketch » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:57 pm

Timbones wrote:I feel that Road Types/USA and Road Names/USA need significant rewrites in order to be truly global, though I'm happy for this to be done after the transfer to Wazeopedia as long as it's done "soon".

Were these nominated for the global wiki? Why? Neither of them are envisioned as or intended to be global pages in any way. The bulk of the content on both pages is decidedly and intentionally US-specific.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Timbones » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:11 pm

Perhaps we should only transfer the parent Road types and names page, and work on filling it with generic information?

For example, we should have documentation about the different road types, and how they are used for routing, without any of the guidelines about how to apply them to the real work. E.g. Freeways and Highways are for long-distance routing, Private and Parking roads are not for through routes.

Had we'd had that from the very beginning, it would have saved a lot of confusion ;)

Note: as road types can be translated by language, the Wazeopedia page about them should also be translated accordingly (without localisations).
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby Timbones » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:20 pm

Other US-centric pages that had been nominated include Roundabouts/USA and Rest areas, both of which contain information that is mostly generic and globally applicable.

Roundabouts/USA has since been removed from the list - can the majority of it be moved to Roundabouts instead? Then it can be transferred.

Rest areas won't take much effort to generalise. However, other countries may have already written their own local version...

Cameras could do with having some local information removed from it, otherwise it's fine.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby Timbones » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:36 am

Moderators have voted on this list, and approve it.

Personally, I'd like to see a plan to address the outstanding points above.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby nzahn1 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:48 pm

I second the call to add Road_Type to the Global List, including adding some more detail.

Revisiting the topic, as there has been a request for a "legend" for the new roads layer, and this seems the appropriate place. I've added some photo legends to the WME Release Thread, but I believe this deserves some wiki attention.
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby robindlc » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:28 pm

I found in this page https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Map_Editing_Quick-start_Guide#U-Turns a section about U-turns which in my opinion is not accurate or does not apply to all countryes:

NOTE: As of November 2014, it is OK but not necessary to allow the U-turn arrow where appropriate. At this time, Waze completely ignores the U-turn arrow in routing. At some time in the future, Waze might become capable of using the U-turn arrow. This advice replaces the advice from June 2014, which was to disable all U-turn arrows. As of November 2014, it is no longer necessary to disable u-turn arrows because Waze ignores them.
If you observe Waze using a u-turn arrow in routing for any reason, please notify regional or global champs immediately.
Fortunately, the lack of U-turn support can be mitigated with a workaround. User demand for U-turns usually concentrates on divided highways where drivers must make a U-turn to reach a destination on the other side of the road. If such a highway is already divided in Waze, a U-turn may be supported via a double-turn at a box junction or a hard turn at a bowtie junction. If such a highway is not divided in Waze and U-turn capability is demanded, a short section of the road near the intersection may be divided and a bowtie junction, or partial bowtie junction, inserted with the hard turn enabled. This approach effectively allows U-turn voice guidance using ordinary turn instructions. The need to support U-turns is one of the factors involved in deciding when and when not to divide a road in Waze.

As far as I know, U-turns are currently in productive with no problem (except for countries which decided not to use such feature)
robindlc
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby sketch » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:14 pm

^ Correct, as we can see, the date on that is old ;) U turns were enabled around April 2015, so this needs an update.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion