county data

Post by
hope Timbones finds this as my brain isn't working, county datasets may be found here
http://data.gov.ie/dataset/census-2011-boundary-files

they are esri files and appear to be attribute licence, I'm not up so much on the Ireland counties but pretty sure someone will be able to look and check which would fit, I'll also check to see if I can find any other sources.

Post by davidg666
seriousarsonist wrote:hope Timbones finds this as my brain isn't working, county datasets may be found here
http://data.gov.ie/dataset/census-2011-boundary-files

they are esri files and appear to be attribute licence, I'm not up so much on the Ireland counties but pretty sure someone will be able to look and check which would fit, I'll also check to see if I can find any other sources.
Thanks Pip! I haven't had a chance to look into this yet - hopefully something in here (or elsewhere) will be something that can be beaten into a form that Waze can import, and without too much licensing complication.

++David
davidg666  
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
Timbones wrote:It looks potentially useful, and in a form I (and Waze) can work with. However, I'm unable to download any of the files from there, probably because I'm outside of Ireland.

Can one of you download one or two of the most promising looking files, can share them with me via Google drive or something? Ta.
OK; I've put the county boundary file on Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/az8mq91le6vlc ... m.zip?dl=0

Let me know if you'd prefer it somewhere else...

++David
davidg666  
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Post by davidg666
Timbones wrote:That works, thanks! :)
Phew!
Timbones wrote:I can see 34 counties in that file, including a few cities such as Limerick, Cork and Galloway.
Does this seem the right level of hierarchy for "states" in Ireland? (Tiny map, doesn't show all labels)
IECounties.png
IECounties2.png
Emm, I'd be inclined to drop the word "County" from all of them, and also combine all cities with their surrounding county - so Galway and Galway City would both just be part of "Galway", and the same for Cork, Waterford, Limerick and Kilkenny (if Kilkenny is indeed split).

Even for Dublin, I think its four parts (the city and the three "counties" that surround the city) should all be combined into one city called "Dublin" (Fingal, South Dublin and Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown were all just "County Dublin" until a few years ago, and even now these are just administrative divisions; all four are still the same county from in peoples' minds and for football teams and the like).

That file may also have Tipperary divided into a Tipperary South Riding and a Tipperary North Riding - these can be combined into a single "Tipperary" too.

So all that recombining should, I reckon, leave you with 26 counties - does that add up?

++David
davidg666  
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Post by davidg666
Timbones wrote:I can merge the counties as you describe, and convert the coordinates into ones Waze will understand. Then we'll take it to HQ for importing. Might be a few days before I get 'a round tuit'.
Thank you! You are faster than I am; I hadn't even got around to checking out the page Pip had sent on.

Which reminds me: Pip, thank you for finding those files.

++David
davidg666  
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Post by lsin023
Hi guys,
Do you have any feedback from Waze HQ regarding the import?
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager

Post by lsin023
Looks good.
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager

Post by davidg666
Timbones wrote:I went through all of David's suggestions on the previous page, and ended up with 26 counties:
[...]
If that looks correct to everyone, I'll the send converted geometry to Waze.
Looks good to me too. Thanks Tim!

++David
davidg666  
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Post by lsin023
The Open Data Licence attribution statement has been added to Waze Wiki Ireland. ;)
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager

Post by davidg666
lsin023 wrote:
Timbones wrote:I've sent the data off to Waze, so you should have Counties by the year 2020. ;)
Still 3 years to go.. :D
Let's not hold our breaths either :(

I asked our community contact to find out how things are going in this department - apparently we weren't even in the queue for getting counties, and there are quite a lot of other countries that want similar administrative divisions too.

So we are in the queue now, but it could be a quite a few months months to go.

I've shown this thread to our community contact and pointing out that we thought we'd been in the queue for the last couple of years. Hopefully/maybe this will speed things up for it.

Either way, it's a good thing that we have polygons ready to go (even though we have had them for a while...) - thanks to all concerned for getting them together!

++David
davidg666  
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Post by davidg666
lsin023 wrote:David, do you have any news? :roll:
Yes actually, of a sort.

We found out last year that it take a really long time (months per country) to turn on states for a country, and we're just one of many countries in the queue. I'm not sure why it's more complicated than flicking a switch once Waze has the polygon data, but, well, apparently it is.

The last update was in early February. At the time we were number five in the queue... I'll be looking for an update again in the next few weeks.

++David
davidg666  
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs