Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by jondrush
Dare we touch the Dirt Road / 4x4 trail and make it just 4x4 offroad trail?
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
On the Places More Info tab, can we change Phone to Phone (xxx-xxx-xxxx) or whatever the preferred phone number format is? Same with Website if we still have restrictions.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
For Elevation can we change Ground to No Elevation?
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
In that case, most of our firehouses should be removed as they are not full-time staffed. I don't think that is a good criteria.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
jondrush wrote:Multiple streets selected with differing names or cities.
Because that would look ridiculously long in the UI if it said that along with the same text for different city and different country. What fits on 2 lines today would take like 7. There is a separate message for name, city, state, country, and any or all can show in combination.
But this is the only one that causes editor confusion. It needs to be better, so it informs.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Even if a firehouse is unmanned, they frequently have something publicly accessible like an extinguisher or alarm if someone is in need. Dunno about EMS-only locations. I think we should change the guidelines if having personnel available is in the display criteria.

Here in PA 90% of firefighters are on-call volunteers.

That being said, I still think we should include EMS in the name and restrict it to normally manned stations.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Oy, thanks, Alan.

As for EMS, I'd say no area if it is normally not manned and it doesn't have and emergency equipment available.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Alan, do you have the final edited list?
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by odinsworn
PesachZ wrote:
jondrush wrote:Dare we touch the Dirt Road / 4x4 trail and make it just 4x4 offroad trail?
Any changes to the driveable road types names will have to coincide with changes to the accepted national guidelines on those types should be applied.
What are the acceptable national guidelines? I think having more levels of rural road would be very helpful for tourists, at the risk of sounding like hyperbole, save lives. In my area of Michigan we have gravel roads which are regularly maintained year round, dirt roads which receive some maintenance in the summer, but are snowmobile trails come winter, and then dirt roads which are some time passable in a passenger car, depending on storm activity, and then there are 4x4 trails. I know that many places out west have seasonal roads as well. I am interested in who determines the national standards, and how they can be lobbied for more varied distinctions.
odinsworn
Send a message

Post by odinsworn
PesachZ wrote:
Odinsworn wrote:
PesachZ wrote:
What are the acceptable national guidelines? I think having more levels of rural road would be very helpful for tourists, at the risk of sounding like hyperbole, save lives. In my area of Michigan we have gravel roads which are regularly maintained year round, dirt roads which receive some maintenance in the summer, but are snowmobile trails come winter, and then dirt roads which are some time passable in a passenger car, depending on storm activity, and then there are 4x4 trails. I know that many places out west have seasonal roads as well. I am interested in who determines the national standards, and how they can be lobbied for more varied distinctions.
The US Champ community sets the guidelines with input from the US community of editors, and knowledge from staff about how those decisions will effect the routing.

We are talking about about possibly renaming some of the existing road types so their usage is more intuitive. We do not have the ability to add more new road types to the list. Only staff can add a new road type, or change the way an existing road type behaves in routing. From past experience I don't think they will be adding any new types anytime soon.
I understand that is not as simple as posting a request and having a Level Six editor wave a digital wand. But I am passionate about this distinction, it should have been made as soon as GPS Navigation killed foolish people. I am a pretty natural navigator, and even I have nearly gotten myself in a tight spot a time or two by falling in the complacency trap of "Well, the GPS says to go this way." People have died as a result of this, and being in a mapping profession, I know very well that even intelligent normally careful people will make large errors because of our innate instinct to believe it just because our map says so.
odinsworn
Send a message