These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by nzahn1
cejay wrote:I am on ios on latest version and reported police and pressed OTHER SIDE, and sent the report.

It placed the police on my side (south) on the interstate and I even went to look at the icon and it says S on the report.

I tried again and it also put the report on the south, even tho I put OTHER SIDE, and that would be north. I want to help the other people going north, but unsure why this is happening.

Also cannot report road hazards, car on shoulder on OTHER SIDE, as I don't see that option.
"Otherside" has the following effects:
1. It flips the icon so it's flops in the other direction on the screen.
2. It alerts in the other direction on two-way segments.

It does not:
1. Move the alert to the other side of a divided highway (a pair of one-way segments)
2. Change the name of the segment to the other side of a divided highway(a pair of one-way segments)

Also, since the last release, hazards cannot be reported to the otherside.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter

Post by ooMikeoo
Pretty much hate that gps runs even after sleep app and or quit app. Switching to google maps. See ya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ooMikeoo
Send a message

Post by ooMikeoo
Pizuz wrote:
ooMikeoo wrote:Pretty much hate that gps runs even after sleep app and or quit app. Switching to google maps. See ya

Are you sure? Did you check the location service status page? Is the location symbol gray or purple after closing Waze?

EDIT: I just checked:

Putting Waze to sleep doesn't stop it from polling your location, which is weird. Closing it from the task switcher, however, instantly stops location polling.
Now I see, something called Location Reporting was turned on in the General preferences tab. With that turned on the symbol next to Waze was solid purple regardless is the status of the app. Putting it to sleep and/or removing Waze from the task switcher made no difference. It was always solid purple unless location services was turned off for the app.

Turning off Location Reporting in the General tab fixed the issue. That's good because I don't like google maps all that much either. :)~

ooMikeoo
Send a message

Post by Pizuz
callumjp wrote:The colour changes for night mode have helped a lot - nice work, Waze. One thing that annoys me is that it's difficult to see if you've sent your ETA to somebody, but they are yet to open the map. Yes, a confirmation appears for a few seconds, but I feel that something more permanent is needed - in the same area where the person icon is displayed in the bottom right corner. Just a simple 'tick' or something (similar to Messenger/WhatsApp) would suffice, just to confirm that your ETA has been sent.
Yes, this is kinda annoying. There are a few hints, however. There is the colour change from purple/cyan to green whicht indicates that Waze is currently sharing the drive. If someone actually opens the link, there will be a number on the „People“ icon indicating how many people are currently watching you drive.

Nevertheless, there seems to be a lot of functionality that hasn't been re-implemented, yet, but at least there is a bit of foreshadowing.
Pizuz
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
AM für Leipzig-Süd
BM für Sachsen

Post by Pizuz
So you are the guys causing all those ”Suggested route frequently ignored“ MPs :mrgreen:
Pizuz
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
AM für Leipzig-Süd
BM für Sachsen

Post by Pizuz
Regarding side streets, Waze actually DOES factor those in, because it keeps track of all the segment speeds at a certain time of the day and day of the week, if it follows some sort of pattern. In your case this might be some penalty issue that keeps you on the freeway, I don't know. You might want to contact your Local Champ on this issue.

In my region there is a freeway that is always crowded on rush hour and Waze never shows any traffic jams there, because the segment speed at that time of the day is always 70-80kph.

Regarding HOV lanes, HQ is still working out how to handle those vehicle types in the app, I guess.
Pizuz
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
AM für Leipzig-Süd
BM für Sachsen

Post by Pizuz
You don't have to. Waze will alert you, even if you don't have turn-by-turn navigation active.
Pizuz
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
AM für Leipzig-Süd
BM für Sachsen

Post by Pizuz
spectrumfox wrote:There should be no reason we need to gimp the app by keeping navigation off, thereby missing out on incredibly useful ETA data. Nor should we be pressured to take the exact route Waze suggests if there is a better one available that Waze isn't picking up on at the time.
Just one hypothetical question before I stop:

Imagine a situation where you are driving on a freeway and there's an obstacle Waze tries to route you around somewhere in the distance. With turn-by-turn navigation active you won't hear an alert until you ignore the „take exit“ command, because Waze only warns you about stuff that's on your projected route. However, if you had turn-by-turn directions disabled Waze would have warned you, because it assumes that you are staying on the road you're currently on.

These are the two use-cases Waze was built for. That's what the “outsmarting traffic together” means. There might be some issues with a few edge cases (contact your Local Champ for those), but in general Waze doesn't expect the user trying to be smarter than the app.
Pizuz
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
Last edited by Pizuz on Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AM für Leipzig-Süd
BM für Sachsen

Post by Pizuz
CrashInator wrote:Just tried the ETA thing for the first time today. My recipient never received my eta message.
So, does/did your recipient ever use Waze? How was your reception at that moment? Did Waze give you any visual confirmation that your drive had been shared?
Pizuz
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
AM für Leipzig-Süd
BM für Sachsen

Post by Pizuz
Nope. Still works. Tap the „Send ETA“ button, which will bring up the contact selection window. At the bottom left of that window there is a button labeled „More“ which will open the iOS sharing window.
Pizuz
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
AM für Leipzig-Süd
BM für Sachsen