Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by maximusmmiv
Can we talk a bit about the geofencing issues that have cropped up in some of the recent releases (including the current version)? Depending on the build, the problem seems to come and go. Sometimes it gets fixed in an update, but then it returns in a future version. Sleeping the app and/or task-killing the app makes no difference.

I'm getting very tired having to open and close the app multiple times to get out of a geofence that I didn't ask for. I already have the Location Reporting feature turned off. I consider this a bug. If Location Reporting is disabled, the app should not enable a geofence for any reason. I don't want my GPS indicator on all the time, and I don't want the potential battery impact.
maximusmmiv
Send a message

Post by MaXyM_FTN
I found, current street number is now shortened in the middle of name (instead at the end). It's better but IMHO still not enough. And to be honest it irritating me that there is space for a few letters only.
Below I'm attaching quick mock-up of modification which makes possible to display even longer street names. Additionally I suggest to make orange button semi-transparent when not in use. In current state it's really distracting especially while driving at night.
This is how I find it perfect for my iP5

http://oi67.tinypic.com/zlcheg.jpg
MaXyM_FTN
Send a message

Post by MaXyM_FTN
Guys am I wrong being sure that ETA notification had had been possible to send not only using SMS but also using email? In v4 I can send it only via SMS.
This scenario fails for people who don't have smart mobiles or mobile data activated.
MaXyM_FTN
Send a message

Post by MaXyM_FTN
Yes, you are right. It can be done this way.
However it opens for example email client forcing you to put email address, either writing it down or using call another contact list (opened from email client). It's quite a lot of 'tapping'.

While using contact list opened by tapping 'Send ETA' button, you can see only contacts which have phone number defined. Using this list you can send notification only through SMS.

At this stage I'm basically not sure if it worked this way in v3 (because I use this feature not so often). Anyway, what I want to say is, that would be more comfy to select contact just from 'Send ETA' list being able to chose method at this stage.

with regards
MaXyM_FTN
Send a message

Post by MaXyM_FTN
Recently I started to use 'send ETA' feature. I noticed, that sending message changes colour of route from default to green.
To be honest I really don't understand a value of this. To remind me I've sent something? Really?
Worse is, it affects chosen colour scheme. Day or night.. it's green.

I don't know if it came with v4 or was present in previous versions. But it's completely unjustified.

There is place which indicates number of people who opened ETA url. It could be used for message sent too.
MaXyM_FTN
Send a message

Post by mckenziepiping
Using the "add a stop" feature often results in a permanent hang where the app continuously tries to calculate a route but never finishes. So then I have to cancel the whole navigation and split the two-legged journey into 2 separate trips. What I'm saying is that Waze can handle A->B but if you tell it A->B->C then it works most of the time but about 30% of the time it'll just freeze up and then I have to cancel everything and go A->B, once I arrive at B, then punch in B->C.
mckenziepiping
Send a message

Post by memzee
Waze used to be barely usable with CarPlay (I could at least get the voice directions to work, even if I couldn't see it on the display).

This update breaks it completely, rendering the app utterly useless.

Great job guys.

I've been using Waze for years, but these kinds of ridiculous decisions, and focusing on visual polish rather than improving the service and usability are exactly the kinds of things that will push me, and others, to move to the likes of Navigon and TomTom.
memzee
Send a message

Post by memzee
I used to be able to set up my route on the phone, then plug in, and have the voice directions come through the car speakers while playing music through the phone.

Basically functioning exactly how it would on the phone, just directing audio through the car speakers.

I've never seen the Waze icon, nor been able to view the waze map on my Pioneer AVH-X8700BT.
memzee
Send a message

Post by memzee
On the basis that I can't even get the Waze voice instructions through my car's speakers anymore? Yes, absolutely.

Why would anyone use Waze in that situation? I bought an expensive aftermarket system to make things more integrated, not so that I would have to buy a car mount for my phone and not be able to have music and navigation guidance running at the same time.
memzee
Send a message

Post by merrittj214
My iphone 6S Plus connects to my car's Bluetooth Uconnect stereo. The turn by turn audio does not work while the app is open. If I am on a route and I minimize the app (like if I go to iTunes or another app while Waze runs in the background), the audio does work. It does NOT speak to me while the app is open when I need it the most. It is set to Prefer Bluetooth. Please help!
merrittj214
Send a message