Post by KurtHamster
dude463 wrote:
KurtHamster wrote:Although you're correct and I'm not a lawyer, I am, however, a longtime ex-professional photographer who knows the copyright laws pertaining to imagery in several countries.
I am referring to this post viewtopic.php?p=1479992#p1479992
In it the poster is asking if we can use the name embedded on the google map page. My point isn't that it's copyrightable. My point is you have no idea who put that name on that road without seeing a street sign. Go to the Google Map Maker forums and you will find tons of people who are clueless about lots of things. They don't have the same vetting process as Waze does. So for anyone to presume that the street names listed on Google Maps is correct solely based on the fact that it's on Google Maps is making a huge leap of faith. Copyright or not, you have no idea if it's correct or a mistake or a trap unless you see a street sign. How often do we have to fix mistakes on GMM that filter into search results in Waze?

To say you know something based on the fact that you're a photographer, thus know a little something about copyright, misses the point completely. I'm a photographer of 10 years and derive most of my income from it. Copyright is a huge deal to me. But, again, this isn't about copyright and more about possibly being incorrect.
1) In my case photography career is 35 years, and we were talking about Google SV which is an image not a map, therefore image copyright applies, not cartographic.

2) I know the original question was about the translucent wording on the image. I wasn't responding directly to that, I was adding additional info, ie using the SV for other clues as to what the correct data is, and that that usage is fine from a copyright standpoint.

3) I know exactly how dodgy the info Google has in their db, hence my comments about other data being available on that same image. The initial question had been answered, so it was a waste of time for me to repeat it, hence my comments about additional, and usable, clues in the image.

4) Please don't apply your values of 'answer the question and only the question' in any given post. It just comes across as haughty and patronising.

5) Nothing I said was wrong with specific regard to Street View. You widened the subject and then applied my comments to that wider topic. I didn't. I was talking about a very specific retrieval of very specific information from an image, not a map.
KurtHamster
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by KurtHamster
What's happened to the link from the Google link thingy (the CRC-type link)? Up until the other day if there was a Place's Google Link completed there was a link that would take you direct to the Google pin. Now it's there but isn't clickable. What gives?
KurtHamster
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by KurtHamster
PesachZ wrote:
KurtHamster wrote:What's happened to the link from the Google link thingy (the CRC-type link)? Up until the other day if there was a Place's Google Link completed there was a link that would take you direct to the Google pin. Now it's there but isn't clickable. What gives?
That link was provided by a script and was never part of native WME.

Sent from Android using Tapatalk
Many thanks, as it turned out it was Junction Node Fixer which had broken with the latest update.
KurtHamster
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by KurtHamster
dude463 wrote:The speed limit URs are turning into spam.
Yup, point farmers have discovered the benefits.
KurtHamster
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by KurtHamster
KTCAOP wrote:Do you get points for submitting UR's?
It doesn't matter if they think they can.
KurtHamster
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by KurtHamster
WME release v1.16-82 (The Cluster Fuck Edition)
KurtHamster
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Leorenaud
Olestas wrote:No Snapshot mode button.
+1
Leorenaud
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Leorenaud
Olestas wrote:Irad, there are no direction arrows.
Yes they are, but they are not visible. But you can adjust them. Hover the mouse over the place where the arrow should be. :lol:
Leorenaud
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Leorenaud
When selecting a segment to add or edit house numbers the segment stays selected so the tabs on the left side are not available.
It is not possible anymore to use some other tabs.
So please deselect the segment if in house number mode.
Leorenaud
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Leorenaud
The instruction arrows at an UR are not visible anymore.
For analyzing the problem it is necessary to see if the reporter had the right instructions.
So make them visible again.
Leorenaud
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message