These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Sharing/Sending my ETA

Post by ClutchPlayPerformancePsych
I have not found anything in the forum about how to share/sending my ETA. I would like to share my ETA with my girlfriend when I travel to see her. No she does not have the App. How do I do this? Is this possible with someone whom is not a user? If I can please provide a step by step guide on how to send or share with her.

Yes she is in my contacts and on my Facebook. However, I have not connected with my Facebook or Contacts. I really prefer to limit my access to the people I want to, not everybody.

Thank you
ClutchPlayPerformancePsych

POSTER_ID:17190081

Send a message

Post by goaliegeewhiz
I used to send my ETA to my wife (who is not a Wazer), and she received it like a text message. For the past 2-3 months, this has not worked. I press the ETA button, select her, press "Send," and see the notification that the ETA has been sent. She, however, receives nothing. :(

Now, on https://support.google.com/waze/answer/6273627 , it appears that an additional requirement has been added on: pressing a "More" button and then selecting a medium. Was making this task more difficult a trade-off for offering more ways to send the ETA? Personally, I would like there to be a "default notification" setting, so that one push would text my wife (or whoever I have set as the default).
goaliegeewhiz
Send a message
-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*—
goaliegeewhiz

Post by Guidelines
goaliegeewhiz wrote:I used to send my ETA to my wife (who is not a Wazer), and she received it like a text message. For the past 2-3 months, this has not worked. I press the ETA button, select her, press "Send," and see the notification that the ETA has been sent. She, however, receives nothing. :(
I am having this same problem, but only the past couple of weeks. Today, I noticed that Waze is identifying her as a registered Wazer. She is not. My guess is that Waze is sending the ETA via Push Notification, but since she doesn't have the app and an account, she isn't getting the notification. (I've tried to 'recover' her account via her phone and email on waze.com, which confirmed she isn't registered.) Any thoughts on what might be happening?
Guidelines
Send a message

Post by Guidelines
Guidelines wrote:
goaliegeewhiz wrote:I used to send my ETA to my wife (who is not a Wazer), and she received it like a text message. For the past 2-3 months, this has not worked. I press the ETA button, select her, press "Send," and see the notification that the ETA has been sent. She, however, receives nothing. :(
I am having this same problem, but only the past couple of weeks. Today, I noticed that Waze is identifying her as a registered Wazer. She is not. My guess is that Waze is sending the ETA via Push Notification, but since she doesn't have the app and an account, she isn't getting the notification. (I've tried to 'recover' her account via her phone and email on waze.com, which confirmed she isn't registered.) Any thoughts on what might be happening?
I decided to install Waze on her phone and set up an account. Sure enough, the Push notifications work just fine.

I think Waze was somehow inappropriately identifying her as a Wazer, because we share an iCloud account on the two phones (since Apple still will not let two accounts share a Photo Library).

Well, it's an odd, but acceptable solution. Why offer login, password, phone number settings if the app is just going to follow the iCloud id? And yet, I was able to override it with a new login.

And what did they change to create this problem, I wonder.
Guidelines
Send a message

Post by low_wh74
Good day. WAZE team,

I've an interesting enquiry about the WAZE shared drive.

I understand that the recipient, whose smartphone have WAZE GPS app is installed, can view the shared drive easily via a given URL.

The shared drive can also be easily viewed using supported browsers such as Google Chrome; Mozila Firefox & Microsoft Edge in the personal computer with internet connection.

Since the shared drive can also be viewed via supported browsers in the personal computer, I'm curious to know whether a recipient, whose smartphone have no WAZE GPS app, can view the shared drive via the supported browsers in his/her smartphone? Thanks.
low_wh74
Send a message
Last edited by low_wh74 on Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by low_wh74
ComeOnRef wrote:I have not found anything in the forum about how to share/sending my ETA. I would like to share my ETA with my girlfriend when I travel to see her. No she does not have the App. How do I do this? Is this possible with someone whom is not a user? If I can please provide a step by step guide on how to send or share with her.

Yes she is in my contacts and on my Facebook. However, I have not connected with my Facebook or Contacts. I really prefer to limit my access to the people I want to, not everybody.

Thank you

In my opinion, the WAZE GPS app is not just helping the driver only but it is actually useful to everyone (including the non-drivers).

To share a WAZE drive with the desired recipient privately, you may carry out the following steps:-
(1) Whether you haven't begin your drive or you've started your navigation, tap Send ETA button.
(2) Tap More button & select the preferred communication mode (e.g. WhatsApp; WeChat; Facebook Messenger; email, SMS & etc).
(3) Select the desired recipient & send to him/her.
(4) The selected recipient will receive a notification with a given URL for viewing your shared drive.

In order to enjoy the full functionality of viewing the WAZE shared drive, the selected recipient's smartphone is preferably to have WAZE GPS app installed.
low_wh74
Send a message

Post by low_wh74

Now, on https://support.google.com/waze/answer/6273627 , it appears that an additional requirement has been added on: pressing a "More" button and then selecting a medium. Was making this task more difficult a trade-off for offering more ways to send the ETA? Personally, I would like there to be a "default notification" setting, so that one push would text my wife (or whoever I have set as the default).
Actually, it's no harm for anyone who uses WAZE GPS app as the app provides good features to the driver & the recipient (who receives the shared drive & ETA).

In order to enjoy the full functions in the WAZE GPS app, it's best that your wife's smartphone is to have WAZE GPS app properly installed.

Then, your wife can register a WAZE user profile (using your wife;s mobile number) for herself (refer this WAZE Help website https://support.google.com/waze/answer/ ... ic=6262562 for the procedures in registering as a WAZE user profile).

Once the installation of WAZE GPS app & the registration of a WAZE user profile for your wife are properly done, your shared drive & ETA can be sent to your wife's smartphone conveniently either through:-
(a) The GPS WAZE app itself; or
(b) Press the "More" button & select the desired medium (such as WhatsApp; WeChat; Facebook Messenger; email & etc. It is recommended not to share your drive & ETA through SMS as SMS supports up to 160 characters only).
low_wh74
Send a message

Post by low_wh74
MaXyM_FTN wrote:In the past this feature makes possible to show your position live using any browser. The URL sent to recipient just points to map with a car marked on it, and moving.
However I noticed sometimes (quite often) the URL caused to open destination area map, without even calculated route. Something was broken. Recently I didn't check this feature, so don't know if it works.

However I found another issue while using this functionality. There is (was) no option to change the language of the message. I can understand difficulties determining language in case of some communication channels (like e-mail in .com domain). But web page showing route's information to a recipient:
a) can open with language depending on browser localization
b) should have an option to change the language
BTW in case of sending ETA via SMS, it is possible to determine the language by phone number prefix.
Probably other channels offer some abilities too.

with regards

When a shared drive & ETA are successfully sent to the recipient using mediums such as WhatsApp; WeChat; Facebook Messenger; email & etc, an URL is appended to the recipient for viewing the shared drive & ETA which is displayed in the language that is adopted by the sender.

It's recommended not to share drive & ETA using SMS as SMS supports up to 160 characters only.
low_wh74
Send a message

Post by low_wh74
MaXyM_FTN wrote:
low_wh74 wrote: When a shared drive & ETA are successfully sent to the recipient using mediums such as WhatsApp; WeChat; Facebook Messenger; email & etc, an URL is appended to the recipient for viewing the shared drive & ETA which is displayed in the language that is adopted by the sender.
Yes. That's the point.
I live in Czech Republic having my mobile phone configured for Czech language. Sometimes I go meet my family in Poland. What's the point to send Czech message to Polish?

BTW you can easily change language of message shown on web page by simply modify part of URL (there is part defining the language). But most of people are not able to do that. Why should they do, if it have to be done by the system? In case of Web browser, language can be selected automatically. There is no magic at all.
low_wh74 wrote: It's recommended not to share drive & ETA using SMS as SMS supports up to 160 characters only.
Usually I'm sending ETA via email.
Single SMS might be 160 chars long max, but nowadays mobile networks supports longer sms, by splitting them into smaller ones and joining back at the end. However it's up to Waze to not send longer messages. URLs itself are not long enough to make problems.

I do viewing the received shared drive & ETA in the web browser (be it in the pc; laptop or mobile devices). However, there is no way to change the language actually.
low_wh74
Send a message

Post by low_wh74
MaXyM_FTN wrote:I'm not sure you are confirming my complaint or arguing against ;)
But actually you are not right. It's true you cannot change the language using available UI. But you can modify URL. Note, sent message contains shorter version of URL. If you open it in browser, the URL is redirected to full version with parameters which look like this:

Code: Select all

https://mobile-web.world.waze.com/cs/meetup/share_drive?token=kgsACxkvt.O5Z&token_type=meeting
In this particular case, /cs/ defines language. You can change it to any supported one: en, pl, fr, it and more. It will show page in selected language.
So only thing to do is to provide language selector for an user, and select proper language based on browser locales.
Thanks for the tip :)
low_wh74
Send a message