The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Change in Permalinks

Post by delilush
Hi Everyone,

as you all know we're constantly working on restructuring and optimizing the WME funtionality. As part of these expected improvements we are also renewing the layer panel. In the course of this process we have a major change in Permalink structures coming up.

Starting with one of the next versions of WME Permalinks will be created in a new format.
Currently they are very long and accumulate data in an inefficient manner. Our planned solution will make permalinks shorter, more manageble and still include relevant data. I will try to get you a sample permalink to look at.

Here is an outline of the expected timeline.

In one of the upcoming WME releases: WME will start creating Permalinks in the new format.

For about 4 months after the change: both old and new Permalink formats will be functional.
UPDATE 1.1.2017: For about a year after the change both old and new Permalink formats will be functional.

After 4 months: Old Permalink format will expire and not be functional anymore.

We will keep you updated on details of this change.

Best,
Daliah
delilush
Waze Team
Waze Team

POSTER_ID:17392348

Send a message

Post by Inactive user -1649923503-
Glodenox wrote: Daliah: has it been considered to just drop the layers information altogether from the permalink? It should be looked at by all communities, but so far I haven't seen anyone actually relying on it (quite the opposite, actually).
Quite a few scripts out there to remove the layers. I agree layer info could easily be managed with a cookie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Inactive user -1649923503-
Send a message
-John
-------
https://j.mp/1BqcgbWhttps://s.waze.tools/c5.png
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager

Post by ajcadoo
Thanks for the Heads Up!
ajcadoo
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by delilush
Hi Everyone,

thank you for your feedback.

I wanted to update you, that based on the points you raised we decided to continue support for the old Permalink format for a year instead of only 4 months. Of course new Permalinks created will be in the new format already.

Once the devs are ready with the new format, I'll post an example of what Permalinks will look like.

We will keep you posted about the progress with this.

Best,
Daliah
delilush
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by delilush
Hi Everyone,

thank you for your input.

Here are a few clarifications to your questions and concerns:

New permalink structure and function
  • As I said in an earlier post, we don't know exactly what the new permalinks will look like yet, but they are planned to contain lat, long, zoom & id similar to the current format. Layer information will be stored in a bundled code in the link, which will make them significantly shorter. As mentioned, I'll get you an example link when devs are ready with it. ;)
  • In addition, opening a permalink in the new format will not change your default configuration for the WME. This means that:
    • 1. When clicking and opening a permalink you will as today see all the layers activated in the link.
      a. If you continue without making changes in the layer settings your default configuration will remain.
      b. If you do adjust the settings in the link it will become your default configuration.
Legacy format
Maintaining a legacy format for permalinks is resource intensive. This is the reason that it was decided to only keep them at full function for a limited amount of time. After the transition year, the layer information for old permalinks will stop working, however lat, long, zoom and id are expected to still be functional on old permalinks.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further question.

Best,
Daliah
delilush
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by Firree
Will it be possible to "covert" an old permalink into the new standard? In other words, while the old link itself wont work, will it still contain enough information to translate to the new permalink standard and show us the same information that the old link contained? (e.g. same segments highlighted)
Firree
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by Glodenox
That shouldn't be too hard to do anyway. I can't imagine the data within these permalinks to change a lot anyway. The coordinates will still be coordinates (worst case: in another projection) and the zoom will still be there. UR, MP, nodes, segments and so on will still remain an ID.

That is, unless the new permalink structure is going to generate a code to refer to a certain location, much like URL shorteners do. In that case it'd become difficult to solve. But I can't really see what the added value of such a system would be for the permalinks.

This sort of defeats the 'perma' part of permalinks, but I agree that the permalink system can be improved.
Glodenox
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Belgium & Luxembourg Coordinator • Script Writing Community Coordinator
https://www.tomputtemans.com/images/WazeBelgium.pnghttps://www.tomputtemans.com/images/WazeWMEbeta.png

Post by Glodenox
If it is only the part of information about layers that changes, this shouldn't be an issue for anyone.
Personally I even prefer to not have the layers information within the permalink at all as I've never had the need for that information from someone else. If they say 'look at the place at this location', I know that I need to enable the places layer (though it will already become enabled if the permalink contains a place id).

Daliah: has it been considered to just drop the layers information altogether from the permalink? It should be looked at by all communities, but so far I haven't seen anyone actually relying on it (quite the opposite, actually).
Glodenox
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Belgium & Luxembourg Coordinator • Script Writing Community Coordinator
https://www.tomputtemans.com/images/WazeBelgium.pnghttps://www.tomputtemans.com/images/WazeWMEbeta.png

Post by hmarian
Is there a way not to kill old PL for legacy reasons?
All we need is that the button creating new PL will create them in a short format possible, and this could be fixed by the changes you plan to put in place.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Device: Samsung Galaxy S20+
Waze Version: 4.90.90.901
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Greater Toronto Area, Buffalo (NY), Binyamina (Israel)
Android/WME Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editing Manual | Editing Best Practice | @Waze_Canada

Post by hmarian
delilush wrote:Hi Everyone,

thank you for your feedback.

I wanted to update you, that based on the points you raised we decided to continue support for the old Permalink format for a year instead of only 4 months. Of course new Permalinks created will be in the new format already.

Once the devs are ready with the new format, I'll post an example of what Permalinks will look like.

We will keep you posted about the progress with this.

Best,
Daliah
Poor and useless decision! What is the difference between 4 months and a year? We have probably thousands of permalink references in the forum, wiki, email messages, GHO and all others Waze related communication means and it is unacceptable that at some point they will stop working and all be broken.
I would like to hear the reason behind this decision.
You are again making decisions without giving us the reasons behind it. If you can support keeping the old PL for a year there is no reason why not to keep it forever.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Device: Samsung Galaxy S20+
Waze Version: 4.90.90.901
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Greater Toronto Area, Buffalo (NY), Binyamina (Israel)
Android/WME Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editing Manual | Editing Best Practice | @Waze_Canada