Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by s2000typeS
It could be because we hate the continuous reports of vehicles on the shoulder. 20 of them on my drive to work every morning, and another 20 on my way back. I could care less. I'm 4 lanes away from every one of them, and they are usually 20 off the roadway. Leave it alone and don't report them.
s2000typeS
Send a message
PLEASE!!

Thank the Lord we can now turn off vehicle on the shoulder alerts

PLEASE!!

Post by s2000typeS
Yeah...haven't you read my latest comment?
s2000typeS
Send a message
PLEASE!!

PLEASE!!

Post by s2000typeS
Gotta have the last word huh?
s2000typeS
Send a message
PLEASE!!

PLEASE!!

Post by scoza05
To use these voice commands I'm assuming you need to say hey Google first? I'm an iPhone user and I've tried hey Google report pot hole (amongst other things) and I get the Google graphic at the bottom of the screen acknowledging my hey Google but nothing else happens.
scoza05
Send a message

Post by Shimenator
Is there a way to turn on OK Waze in a country where's it's not officialy supported? (I really don't get why there is a limiation in the first place... :? )
Shimenator
Send a message

Post by sketch
I really wish there were a way to "Prefer Bluetooth" for input (voice commands) but not output (directions). TBH, if there is a Bluetooth input device connected, it should always be used for voice input.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Is there a command for "sleep"?

I would agree that most of those should be added back, except "close app", as it's misleading and inaccurate. The rest could be interpreted to mean "sleep".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
ooMikeoo wrote:I've never gotten Waze to recognize a single voice command, wondering why it's even part of the app? Siri understands me just fine, maybe Siri should be passing voice commands to the app since it seems to work very well.
I don't think Siri supports third-party apps.

Do you use Bluetooth in your car? There has been a bug for the last few months where Waze voice commands does not work over a Bluetooth connection. The voice reporting has never worked particularly well, but voice search works quite well in my experience (provided that you are not using Bluetooth).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
TheHYPO wrote:
vince1612 wrote:If you have an iPhone like I do it's just the phone's proximity sensor which turns the screen dark if it detects something against the screen, like during a phonecall. As far as I know there is no way to turn that off.

It isn't just this, because I can put my hand in front of my phone, or put my phone to my ear or put my phone face down and the screen does not blank on other apps or just on the normal home page. It does when you're in a phone call, but that must be app-specific. This suggests to me that Waze has explicitly selected this option, or at very least has not opted out of it. I don't have issues with any other apps I regularly use except waze, if my hand blocks the camera while trying to tap the screen, it blanks on me and it's really bothersome.
Your analysis isn't exactly wrong, but it is pretty much "just this". The proximity sensor is enabled on a per-app basis. If you have "wave" turned on for voice prompts, then Waze enables the proximity sensor, and as a side effect disables the screen when it detects proximity. So, you are correct that Waze has "explicitly selected this option"; they have done so in order to use the proximity sensor to detect your hand-waving. Other apps don't do this because they don't use the proximity sensor for anything.

If it is such a bother, turn off the "wave" option for voice prompts. Use a 3-finger tap if you must use voice activation.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by slandrum
There may not have been discussion of specifically the voice commands to shut down the app being removed, but there is a lot of discussion about the general removal of any way within the iPhone app to shut it down. This is not a voice commands issue, but a more general one.
slandrum
Send a message
Orange County, CA, USA, Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3 https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/24/W ... 2cones.png