These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by usa_ymrltszx
I was forced to update to the latest Android Auto.  Now the only app that doesn't work is WAZE in my car.  It continues to work on my phone
but I need it for my car. (2020 Toyota Camry)   Google Maps works as well as other apps.  Only WAZE stopped working.
When I select WAZE from my Car screen it makes the screen go BLACK.  After about 20 seconds the screen returns to displaying
all my apps.

I tried rolling back my Android Auto to an earlier version but part of the installation process on my cell phone
is it forces you to update to the latest bringing me back to the same problem.  I tried uninstall and installing
both Android Auto and WAZE with no change.  Only WAZE doesn't work just get a BLACK screen on my car display.

Now I am forced to use WAZE on my cell phone and Google Maps on my car screen.  I have uploaded logs to WAZE but
no reply.  If anyone has a fix for this problem please reply to my post.

Thanks,
Ken

usa_ymrltszx
Send a message

Post by usa_ymrltszx
BUG-11583: Android Auto black screen after open Waze

Wondering how many other Android Auto users who have recently been forced to update to the latest Android
Auto have been having this recently reported problem.  The problem happens on your Car Screen.
Waze works on the cell phone.  In my case the only app that stopped working is Waze , my preferred map program.
Google map still works.

I have a Samsung S7 Edge  OS 8.1

Ken

usa_ymrltszx
Send a message

Post by usa_ymrltszx
raitchison818 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:07 pm
usa_ymrltszx wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:12 pm I was forced to update to the latest Android Auto.  Now the only app that doesn't work is WAZE in my car.  It continues to work on my phone
but I need it for my car. (2020 Toyota Camry)   Google Maps works as well as other apps.  Only WAZE stopped working.
When I select WAZE from my Car screen it makes the screen go BLACK.  After about 20 seconds the screen returns to displaying
all my apps.

I tried rolling back my Android Auto to an earlier version but part of the installation process on my cell phone
is it forces you to update to the latest bringing me back to the same problem.  I tried uninstall and installing
both Android Auto and WAZE with no change.  Only WAZE doesn't work just get a BLACK screen on my car display.

Now I am forced to use WAZE on my cell phone and Google Maps on my car screen.  I have uploaded logs to WAZE but
no reply.  If anyone has a fix for this problem please reply to my post.

Thanks,
Ken
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's almost December and have not heard of a fix yet other than BUG-11583 created several months earlier.
My question is why does Google Maps continue to work but WAZE no longer works.
My cell phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge with 8.1 OS meeting the requirements of Android Auto and WAZE
Just a little feedback from WAZE explaining why the BLACK screen would be comforting and if they are talking to Android Auto
about a fix if so what is the progress?  If it worked on an older version Android Auto is there a hack to prevent Android Auto from
forcing an update?

Ken

This is a somewhat common issue with older versions of Android (my phone is on Android 8).   Basically with the latest version of Waze OR the latest version of Android Auto on an affected phone you will get the behavior described above.

I had  a workaround that involved me running an older version of both Waze and AA and that worked for a while, until today.  Now AA refuses to run and is forcing me to update, which will break Waze on AA.

This has been an issue since June and Waze has not even acknowledged it.  It does not seem likely it will ever be fixed.

The ultimate "solution" is to either upgrade your phone OS (if possible) or replace your phone with one that has a newer version of Android.  In my case that's not a good choice as there's a different app I use multiple times per day that won't run on Android 10 or newer, and since that app is more important to me than Waze I'm going to just live without Waze on AA for the time being.

There is more details I posted in the Android App feedback thread if you are curious.

usa_ymrltszx
Send a message

Post by usa_yq852yvd
Waze update few weeks ago broke my navigation!! Waze was working fine then the Android auto update hit. Since then Waze won't track my movements in my car. As soon as my phone screen goes dark the nav arrow turns to a dot and no navigation. If I "wake" my phone up then Waze re-acquires and tracks. However as soon as the screen goes dark the acquisition fails. I've looked all over the phone settings and find that nothing has changed except the Waze update. Google Maps works fine and consistently
usa_yq852yvd
Send a message

Post by usa_yq852yvd
Waze update few weeks ago broke my navigation!! Waze was working fine then the Android auto update hit. Since then Waze won't track my movements in my car. As soon as my phone screen goes dark the nav arrow turns to a dot and no navigation. If I "wake" my phone up then Waze re-acquires and tracks. However as soon as the screen goes dark the acquisition fails. I've looked all over the phone settings and find that nothing has changed except the Waze update. Google Maps works fine and consistently
usa_yq852yvd
Send a message

Post by usaweb_p8e40rp2
Recently while using Android Auto, I have notice small candies with point values showing up on the map. When I drive over the location where they are on the map it makes a popping sound and the candy disappears.  I assume this is some kind of game. Can anyone tell me what it is all about?
usaweb_p8e40rp2
Send a message

Post by utobi
I also encountered the same issue today. I haven't used my car in 2-3 weeks so I am unable to pin the exact date when it started. 2-3 weeks ago everything was fine.

Car is a 2018 VW Tiguan and it seems like the phone/Waze tells the head unit that there is a phone call happening. I tried to change the sound settings of the head unit but aligned with the dimming of the sound, the car showed a warning that volume settings cannot be changed while in a call. When the sound got back to normal, the warning message disappeared.

I also tried rebooting the phone and changing the sound options to alerts only but it also did not help.
utobi
Send a message

Post by V_ktor
DazzaLUFC wrote:
Chovan_ice wrote:Hi Guys.

My phone is LG ThinkQ G6, Car is VW Atlas, Waze version is 4.50.1.1

It seems since updated to the latest version, I was not able to use waze. Android auto kept saying "It looks like Waze hasn't been setup for the 1st time yet. Please open Waze on your phone and complete the setup process".

I opened Waze on my phone but could figure out what to do to setup for 1st time use on AA, plus, this is not the first time, I've been using the app on the same phone and same car for more than a year.

I've already tried to reinstall AA and Waze. Google maps runs well on AA from my phone, so it's not connection issue.

Any hint to solve the problem is appreciated.

https://i.ibb.co/kB9M1nY/WazeonAA.jpg

Hey mate, did you find a fix for this
Hi, I had same problem. Installing and reinstalling AA and Waze - no success. Then I did "Clear Data" in Waze properties, erasing all data in Waze so it's became "pure". Then started again agreeing all checks and terms and making sure it's running fine on phone, then connected to AA, and miracle- it's FINE! (I'm so happy:)) hope it will helps to You.
V_ktor
Send a message

Post by vaderjet
I too have the same issue on our 2020 Lexus RX 350 (F Sport 3). I have a Google Pixel 2 with Android 10 and the Waze appears fine in the phone Android Auto application. It does not appear as an app in the projection screen in the car.
vaderjet
Send a message

Post by Vdq1198
Hi Guys!
@maxnukem - did it work on Your VW Passat?
I have similar problem with Night Mode on my VW GOLF 2019
@georgenqueiroz - is there any other option? I`ve worked through all of Day/Night Android Auto developer settings... no result... still bright as hell all the time, even when is set on "night" and Waze on my Samsung A6+ is in permanent night mode... :(
Vdq1198
Send a message