Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by Toontje
So there is this other thread that talks about Waze for Android Auto on a compatible car. I wanted to open a thread about Waze for Android Auto on a mobile device.
Anyone got this to work instead of Google Maps?

Thanks,

Ton.
Toontje
Send a message

Post by Tradd11
Anyone else having issues with the Report button or any of the touch screen functions not working. The three little lines is the only thing that works sometimes and then once in that menu I can't scroll up or down. The mic button doesn't work. When a hazard pops up I can't interact with that either.
Tradd11
Send a message

Post by triumfas
It should be possible to disable Google Assistant in Waze so that I could enter address with voice. GA does support very limited number of languages and prior GA I was able to say address without any issues. It still works on iOS, but not on Android. Is it thaat hard to make it an option??
triumfas
Send a message

Post by tsthang
I recently installed Android Auto and Waze to my Galaxy Note 8. Realized the Waze as it stand alone works fine. When it is connected to Android Auto on my car screen, the position freezes. I have to unlock the phone screen in order to activate the GPS position of the car. After much investigation, it is the Power Saving Mode setting on the phone that caused the position freeze on the screen. Apparently when the Power Saving Mode is on, the phone will switch off the GPS scanning after the phone screen is locked. Hope the solution helps for those who faces the same issue.
tsthang
Send a message

Post by ttb211
Hello,

I got a french Waze, a french Google, with temperature Celsius.
But since 2 weeks I think, the temperature in Waze Auto is in degrees Fahrenheit instead of Celsius.
Do you know why ?
How to modify ?

ttb211
Send a message

Post by turtle1268
Had my Mazda upgraded with AA a few months ago. I love using Waze in AA but have found a few glitches in the system - more since my phone auto-updated to Android 9 (samsung G8). My phone is a beast - no problems there. Problems are on the head unit, mostly.

1 - day/night. The only way to truly control day/night on head unit is to set day or nightmode on my phone, the AA will set day/night in the apps. Even google maps is controlled the same. Waze is not controlling day/night itself - the phone overrides it all the time.

2- speaking of night mode - that's really the best visibility of the waze map on this head unit. The white-washed day mode is too hard to see no matter what the screen settings are

3- AA has a developer options to force screen resolution. At anything lower than 720p, the waze map is fuzzy and too hard to read. If you set this to up to 1080p you have crisper lettering on the map - but this is set manually in AA.

4- Pixilation - since the upgrade to android 9, I noticed that once in a while, the waze map pixilates and gets a bit blurry - then it corrects itself or I can "flash" it back to normal if i hit the Nav button in the car - very odd glitch but it persists on occasion.

5- in night mode, the waze menu bar on top in white letters is not shaded out and it mingles in with all the other white letters of street names making things like the time and battery icon unreadable. in Day mode, the status bar is in a blue shade and black letters - easy to read. This is a night mode glitch.

6 - the colored map editors map is not replicated on the head unit - the stock waze map colors are always used on the head unit in day and night mode, no matter what is choden on the phone. They work on the phone, though.

7- can anyone change the map size (+/-) buttons while driving? I don't particularly like the autozoom, unless im on a long trip on a highway. It's odd that they disabled those buttons but you can still wheel-away on the waze map to report a speed trap or road hazard. Google map has that functionality - but not an auto-zoom, so this is inconsistent programming.

I tried using the google map but its really not better. The lettering of the street names is unusually small on the scree - I cant read that. The color scheme of google map stinks too. It's too hard to disinguish similar colors, borders, etc. I use google map as a map in the car, but waze is superior for navigation - no question about that.

I could not find anything like these issues in the forums or troubles with Mazda. Anyone else see these problems on their head unit with waze? Any ideas if they are known issues or could be fixed?
turtle1268
Send a message

Post by turtle1268
turtle1268 wrote:
5- in night mode, the waze menu bar on top in white letters is not shaded out and it mingles in with all the other white letters of street names making things like the time and battery icon unreadable. in Day mode, the status bar is in a blue shade and black letters - easy to read. This is a night mode glitch.

7- can anyone change the map size (+/-) buttons while driving? I don't particularly like the autozoom, unless im on a long trip on a highway. It's odd that they disabled those buttons but you can still wheel-away on the waze map to report a speed trap or road hazard. Google map has that functionality - but not an auto-zoom, so this is inconsistent programming.
I think I found work-arounds for these two specific items that display on the car head unit:

1. If I turn off the speedometer and speed warnings, then the +/- button shows up in that spot instead of the speed limit while I drive. The +/- button is much more useful to have than speed limit.

2. While in "night mode," If I verbally request directions and Waze returns a search result, then I cancel the search result (hit X), then it returns to the map view and suddenly the Waze status bar is dark-shaded like it is supposed to be. This is a real glitchy item. If I use any other search functions, like my favorites, it doesn't correct - it fixes itself on map display on the head unit and stays like that for the duration of the ride only if I use voice command to search for a destination.
turtle1268
Send a message

Post by turtle1268
20191024_121238.jpg
(41.85 KiB) Downloaded 707 times
Something changed in the last couple of days....

using samsung G8 phone on android 9, AA version 4.7, waze v4.56 and mazda infotainment v70(stock version). All this is occurring while phone is plugged into car and using AA on the head unit: Recently, the waze app stopped acquiring location on start - sometimes you get a screen that's all blue with a dot in the center, sometimes shows a map with your location as a dot but location doesn't update as you drive. I have only 2 items set to show on the screen: the +/- button and the big Orange button. Now, I see a target-like object showing above the +/- button and it does nothing when you select it. I cant figure out how to turn that off. Also, sometimes the colors bleed/smear when the map is moving along your location. I have the map set to night mode and the night mode enabled in AA developer settings as the day map doesnt show well on the head unit. If I switch navigation to the google map and use that for a few minutes, then I switch back to the waze app, it works again. But the "target" button is still there - still does nothing. All functions worked well until Waze last updated yesterday. AA last updated 10/4.
turtle1268
Send a message
Last edited by turtle1268 on Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by turtle1268
grosmono wrote:Guys, for the issue where Waze on android auto loses the GPS fix, pls read my message on top of page 51: I quote @bart99gt that gave the solution (roll back the AA app to the previous version)
Thanks for sharing the solution - but how do you roll back to a previous version of AA in android? Was there an instruction we missed? Do you need to have a rooted phone?
turtle1268
Send a message

Post by turtle1268
grosmono wrote:to roll back, you have to manually donwload and install the 4.6 version on apkpure or aptoide. you don't have to root, only allow the installation of apk from unkown sources.
Be careful to download only from "safe" sources lik teh two I mention.

Use google to make sure about the exact steps if needed, and also the help pages from apkpure.

If you don't feel confident / are not techie enough, then it's better not to do that workaround.

have a nice day,
Thanks for the assist!!
turtle1268
Send a message