These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Waze and tunnels

Post by jackie111222
Hello, I would ask you, if u planning solve a case when I cross the tunnel it is not counting driven miles through it. In map editor it doing stripped line on place with tunnel. Thanks for answer.
jackie111222

Post by SwenVandenberk
Waze is using GPS reception to see where and how fast you're moving. In nearly all tunnels, you don't have any GPS reception so Waze can't calculate your position.

Tunnels can be equipped with Waze beacons which would allow your smartphone to connect to these beacons and calculate it's position based on the beacons. In these tunnels, Waze will correctly show your position in the tunnel. (Big) Disadvantage is that the local authorities have to buy and install these beacons. Due to this, only a few tunnels are equipped with it.

Other solution would be to use the internal sensors of the smartphone to estimate the movement and rotation of the car and try to guess where the car is located in the tunnel. This has been requested quite a lot by the community but it's not being worked on by Waze.
SwenVandenberk
Country Manager
Country Manager

Post by jackie111222
@SwenVandenberk thanks to ur answer ... I understand it ... but there is question, why developers of app cannot do the feature, if they see in driven road data that I drive inside tunnel and my drive continued after tunnel ends, they can connect this road and count it to driven miles... i think that this feature is easy to do :)
jackie111222

Post by jackie111222
thank you, i missed that thread :)
jackie111222

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

No point posting a feature request for this.

It is a feature that is common in most gps navagation devices and apps.
It has also been mentioned more than once at at least one countries Waze meet ups.

So far zilch.

It can be a particular problem with numerous tunnels where you need to make a turn soon after exiting the tunnel. Once out Waze will work out where you are and recalculate the route and not tell you to make that turn!

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork

Post by disPPlay
SwenVandenberk wrote:Waze is using GPS reception to see where and how fast you're moving. In nearly all tunnels, you don't have any GPS reception so Waze can't calculate your position.

Tunnels can be equipped with Waze beacons which would allow your smartphone to connect to these beacons and calculate it's position based on the beacons. In these tunnels, Waze will correctly show your position in the tunnel. (Big) Disadvantage is that the local authorities have to buy and install these beacons. Due to this, only a few tunnels are equipped with it.

Other solution would be to use the internal sensors of the smartphone to estimate the movement and rotation of the car and try to guess where the car is located in the tunnel. This has been requested quite a lot by the community but it's not being worked on by Waze.

Here Maps does this, but is not very accurate. It would be an cool feature to implement,
disPPlay

Post by jr1982jr
SwenVandenberk wrote:Tunnels can be equipped with Waze beacons which would allow your smartphone to connect to these beacons and calculate it's position based on the beacons. In these tunnels, Waze will correctly show your position in the tunnel. (Big) Disadvantage is that the local authorities have to buy and install these beacons. Due to this, only a few tunnels are equipped with it.
The local authorities having to buy the beacons is not the necessarily the big disadvantage but rather they see no benefits in their mind to buy the beacons. The cost is about $1200/mile or $750/km, but what do they get for that investment? This is not a big expense to government except in the longest of tunnels but why do so? Waze calculates the routes and times of those routes without exact knowledge of actual happenings inside the tunnel. While I dislike not knowing how fast the traffic is inside the tunnel until I get there or where I am relative to the entrance/exit, my trip timings are not really going to change.

I have thought for a while that, except for those tunnels with complexity like turns inside them, that only private donations of the beacons will bring this about. I liken this to the cell coverage that was non-existent inside these same tunnels. Does every tunnel now get cell coverage in there? Who paid for that? I'd guess the carriers had to foot that bill but I do not know that answer.

I googled to see if I could tell how this happened and the search brought up cell coverage in the WMATA (Washington Metro Area Transit Authority who runs the Metro in the Washington DC Metro area) subway tunnels. This is a business that 1) can charge for those beacons and 2) has customer satisfaction feedback for doing so. I guess it could be argued that the local authorities charge tolls for the tunnels so they fit #1 but does #2 really fit? See https://www.wmata.com/about/news/first- ... l-wifi.cfm
jr1982jr
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Post by carkevSunny
this post amuses me ....
I cannot understand why the OP is so fixated on Waze not 'accurately' given him his driven mileage when he uses tunnels.

has he not realised that Waze is primarily a Satnav (and a really good one at that) and that there is a quite 'magical' device on every car called a Trip Meter that amazingly calculates miles driven through tunnels also!
carkevSunny