Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by cdombroski
Boulevard Bridge (SR 161) in Virginia was marked done in the other toll checklist.
cdombroski
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
Is this still being updated? You can add the Foley Beach Express toll bridge in Orange Beach to the Alabama list. That should be the last of the bridges in AL that are tolled.

(Now if I could just get everyone locally to refer to it as "express" instead of "expressway" I'd be happy!)
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by GizmoGuy411
Just added the Johnston Island Causeway at Marblehead Ohio to the list. No other entries for Ohio? Can that be correct?
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by harling
Massachusetts complete.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by HavanaDay
You can mark Alabama River Parkway & Black Warrior Parkway off of Alabama as that was part of the toll roads I originally did down there.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by HavanaDay
kentsmith9 wrote:If the "Avoid Toll Roads" feature looks at your map changes or my original map changes (only at the toll booth) the bridge is avoided. Since both methods also prevent you from using the segments before the toll booth (yours because it is marked toll and mine because there is no routing that will not bypass the toll booth), both methods will result in the same successful route avoiding the toll booth.
I don't think your thinking is flawed but we are unaware of exactly how the toll road option is going to be implemented. So if it is a penalty then the more legitimate segments marked as toll roads the better. If it is avoid at all costs except when it is the only way then your way is fine and maybe even preferred.

I have been using the scenario that it will only be a penalty for each segment driven. If it turns out the other way then there will not be any harm as it will already try to avoid the segments marked anyways.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Louisiana Completed
Lake Pontchartrain Causeway
Greater New Orleans Mississippi River/Crescent City Connection
LA-1 Expressway
(This post is still in progress of being built. Below is interstate system tolls only.)
Lake Pontchartrain Causeway is not Interstate System, but it was on your list. So I also added the LA-1.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Just make them longer than 10m.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Oakland-SF Bay Bridge (I-80 W) (compete based on the below procedure)

Alan and I started a side conversation on the N. California bridges and we decided to bring it here.

I had been marking the bridges using the following procedure. Because you cannot get on the bridge without getting through that one toll gate, I assumed that meant we only need to mark the segment(s) that passed through the toll gate(s). Since technically the bridge should be one segment to the other side (one for each direction on some bridges) until the next junction (when the toll is no longer applicable anyway), there was no need to mark segments after the initial toll segment.

On the approach to the toll booth side again I am only marking the section that passed through the toll booth assuming it made no difference for the upcoming "Avoid Toll" option how many segments were marked before the actual booth for the feature to work.

My objective was to minimize the number of segments that required Toll management. This seemed to best meet the agreed toll road procedures I was reviewing in the related discussion threads, unless I missed some threads along the way. I am happy to support a different procedure accepted by the community if this causes problems I did not consider.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I have a very small dog in this fight. :)
Alan, I really am a conformist at heart. I hope that no one ever assumes that I am so passionate about a position or opinion that I would start a dog fight. Besides, I only have a little 5 pound Chiweenie. :oops:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:My understanding from previous threads was to mark every segment which is explicitly a toll-based road. There are exceptions throughout the US where you can get on and off portions of a "toll road" without paying a toll and for these roads, we cannot mark all sections. For those I thought we were marking only the plaza locations, or ramps to the same.
I think we are essentially in agreement for the bridges. I saw the changes you made to the I-80 E Vallejo bridge and the only difference in what I had previously done for that bridge was you added the segments preceding the toll booth where there was no exit from that roadway besides straight to the toll booth.

If the "Avoid Toll Roads" feature looks at your map changes or my original map changes (only at the toll booth) the bridge is avoided. Since both methods also prevent you from using the segments before the toll booth (yours because it is marked toll and mine because there is no routing that will not bypass the toll booth), both methods will result in the same successful route avoiding the toll booth.

My technique prevents less experienced map editors from marking too many segments before the toll booth and accidentally making roads avoided that have valid exits from them before the toll booth. It also made any changes, modifications, etc. to the toll roads very simple in the future because the editor only has to find the toll booth on the map and make the change to the one segment passing through the booth.

In retrospect I should have spoken up in that thread with my proposal, but I was traveling with limited access (my wife was with me on vacation, so I had to sneak to the forums at night in the hotel room :) ) My intent was not to do my own thing in Northern California, but to achieve the same solution in less time, so get to make other edits.
crazycomputingdotnet wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: This was, perhaps also, for the reason that if Waze decides to render a toll road graphically on the app, that we'd want there to be a visual representation of the toll road itself, not just the plaza, where that is feasible to do.
For visual representation they are going to have to have a road type for the color seperate from the actual toll flag so we can mark the sections that are from begining to end toll that may not have the ability to actually have the toll flag on it for routing purposes. It isn't going to be easy to see a 10m segment of toll road that is actually going through only the booth.
If we do get a different road type, then I think my proposal is easier to maintain going forward. However, if the community already agreed to mark all segments in front of the booth in anticipation of this feature or for some other reason I missed, then I stand corrected. I would then certainly go to all 7 bridges here and ensure we had 100% compliance with that decision.

Again I am convinced the current anticipated "Avoid Toll" feature will work fine with both techniques, and the SF Bay Area is now using one or the other technique so unless we want to map out the roads in anticipation of the possible display feature I propose both techniques work the same. I would prefer to work on other roads that are currently broken or not mapped properly though as I think many of us are finding after the drought hid so many beginner editor issues. :(
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message