Post by chipsandcurry
Awesome! Thanks for the help with that guys. I look forward to seeing the updates as i drive around!
chipsandcurry
Send a message

Post by deejaypee
I have just found Waze and have begun mapping.
I live down south and do a lot of driving in the Hills and Fleurieu, so will at least be able to get some of those main routes in.
Not sure how much time will be needed to then do the updates, but will do what I can.
cheers
Darren
deejaypee
Send a message

Post by deejaypee
I have been having a go at editing some of my first new roads.
One section around Hawthorndene already had some pieces, but didnt align very well in reality.
I have been trying to edit it to clean up, but I don't have enough privileges to create some of the sections.
Here it is below - a bit of a dog's breakfast around there, but I have sorted some of it out.

http://world.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=4 ... FFFFFFTTTT

Is the right place to post these sorts of things for the Area Manager, or is there some other way I should do this.
cheers
deejaypee
Send a message

Post by deejaypee
Cheers,
thanks for the advice Wayne.
deejaypee
Send a message

Post by deejaypee
Hi All,
my work takes me driving a fair bit across the Hills, Fleurieu and KI. Although I've been a bit busy this week to do any updates. Will do my bit where I can, and look forward to helping out a bit more.
cheers.
deejaypee
Send a message

Post by doubledroz
Just checking in to see if people are all on the same page - This thread hasn't seen much action for a while!!

I must admit, it's taken me more than a month of driving and editing to find the "To Do - South Australia" page and that means that there's a lot of stuff that I'm going to have to un-edit. Basically though, I don't think I should...

For instance, the idea that Road names shall be full - i.e., King William Road instead of King William Rd - is opposite to what everyone else in newer forums posts have said. And I've been doing it the abbreviated way for a while.

Suburb names - the reason why everywhere is called Stirling is because of an error that someone else has picked up on in a different post: because Stirling is a suburb in a few different states, it is *everywhere*. Can't we just write " Whatever-Suburb, SA" in order to keep it clean? At least until this magical "State" field gets inserted by the Waze Devs. It's not that hard to do...

Two one-way roads or One two-way road? All of Adelaide seems to be mapped as two one-way roads. According to the "Best Map Editing" practices wiki, that isn't cool. So I've been doing what every fresh-faced Waze editor might try and do and change them all back. I can see some places where that wouldn't be necessary - and counter intuitive - but for the most part, I'm convinced that the CBD doesn't need to be split in two, and indeed, I get the world's shittiest directions in the city due to this fact.

Roads like South Road don't need to be split like that either - its just one big long road, and making it have multiple segments is making directions more complicated than they need to be, and there's plenty of incorrect turn permissions everywhere you go... So I've turned a lot of Cross Road, South Road, Glen Osmond Road, Fullarton Road back into One two-way road.

Tram Line - according to other wazers in other countries that have trams, you're supposed to ignore the tram line! Trams are not Trains, and having a tram line through the city means I can't make certain intersections do their thing properly in the CBD. Cars *can* drive on many tram tracks, but Waze doesn't have this functionality built in. I really want to delete the King WIlliam Street Tram line that goes through the roads, leaving it only in places where there is not driveable road. I get that everyone wants to have the most realistic looking map, but that doesn't translate into the most realistic and efficient driving directions.

OK, partial rant over, now I need to wait for a response to see what the consensus is to do from here...

DoubleDroz
doubledroz
Send a message

Post by doubledroz
Cool, so we *are* on the same page - mostly. I wonder if the roads were split automatically, or if someone went and changed them all. How frustrating!!

There's some things that I'm not game enough to change for fear of doing it wrong - I've unsplit West Terrace in the City, and am wondering what to do with Anzac Highway - clearly *not* a highway, but apparently it's two one-way roads EVERYWHERE. Can someone with more skillz work on the intersection of South Terrace, West Terrace, Anzac Highway and Goodwood road? I'm not sure which way to go!

Also, I'd love some updated aerials for the West Tce North Tce intersection - it's had some work done, and the GPS tracks do *not* match the road that is in Waze.

Anywho, keep on Wazing (whatever Wazing is to you)!

Cheers,
Droz
doubledroz
Send a message

Post by doubledroz
OK, I've attempted to simplify the West Terrace/Goodwood/Anzac Highway intersection, wish me luck with the results - till the next update!

Thanks to ituajr for making the Greenhill/Portrush/Cross Rd/Freeway intersection look heaps better and hopefully make a lot more sense.

My next project is the Greenhill/Anzac/Richmond Rd intersection in Keswick, there's no way in hell that that should be four one-way roads having a meeting. Waiting for an unlock on a small section of Greenhill, I think I'm going to make it one two-way road even though it has some wide median strip segments - some of those become slip lanes for turning, so, for the purpose of simplification, I'm just going to make the whole thing one easy to navigate road.

Questions? Comments?
Cheers,
Droz
doubledroz
Send a message

Post by doubledroz
Yes, that is *exactly* what I need. Needed, actually; it's now been modified/simplified.

And now we need to wait for the upload in order to see how it all pans out...

Things are looking up!
doubledroz
Send a message

Post by extremedavo
Hey man,

I use it all the time. It takes about 24 hours or so for the roads to update, and sometimes it needs to be run over twice or three times by other commuters.

I'd really love for everyone to get mapping, I've seen new lines appear every day, I'm mapping the southern end slowly, the city is nicely done..

What we need now is for everyone to run it all the time, not just to map it...Once we get a few people using it, slowly others will see how useful this app will be.
extremedavo
Send a message