Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Any specifics got you confused? Go ahead and let us deal with the puzzling!

Private Road vs. Parking Lot Road for Apartment Complexes

Post by JCArdussi
In my area there are some apartment complexes whose parking is designated with private roads and some with parking lot roads. They are all public access. Ubers and taxis drive down them all the time.

Should we only use the "Private Road" label when the road is actually designated a private road or are there other roads, such as apartment complexes, that qualify also?
JCArdussi

POSTER_ID:17520221

Send a message

Post by JCArdussi
First question is whether the app uses them differently or are they functionally the same?

Would going through and changing them from Private Roads to Parking Lot Roads be useful or just annoy someone?

I am looking for things to do to get to my 1000+ edits and I am not sure what is useful. I have added Parking Lots but they do not seem to show up.
JCArdussi
Send a message

Post by marcedli
Its up to the community’s decision.
Here in Hungary we mark as Private road only when there is a restriction on the road. We use parking lot road type in parking lots.
If these roads are simple public roads, leave them as that type. Waze avoids private road and parking lot road for routing. If anyone can go through these roads, you shouldn’t take them out from routable roads.
marcedli
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by popel22
They are similar but please stick to your local wiki.
Best thing you could do is getting in touch with your local community and ask what kind of map edits are needed in your region.
I can help you with finding the right person if you want.
popel22
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by stephenr1966
Hi JC,

Welcome to our addiction...er um...hobby. :D In California where you are editing and the US in general we normally map streets within an apartment complex as parking lot road type (PLR). Private Road (PR) is used at the gates if it is a gated community or if there are legally enforceable signs for "No through traffic" or "Local Use Only". Neither of these types will prevent routing TO or FROM one of the apartments, they only prevent routing THROUGH the complex to a destination on the other side. (i.e. through traffic).

Some reference pages for you in our Wazeopedia:
Welcome Page
US Wazeopedia Road Types Page
US Wazeopedia California Page
stephenr1966
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by WazingArch
popel22 wrote:They are similar but please stick to your local wiki.
Best thing you could do is getting in touch with your local community and ask what kind of map edits are needed in your region.
I can help you with finding the right person if you want.
Parking lot roads and private roads are not the same - PRs detect traffic jams while PLRs don't as far I know.

By the way, there is a new road type now - "narrow street". Its behaviour is explained here. Perhaps we could use this road type in apartment complexes instead of parking lot roads - to allow motorcycles and generate traffic jams, and divert other vehicle types.
WazingArch
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Coordinator BG • Global Champ • CM Manager BG • Translator
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Уики България | Best map editing practice

Post by wistex
For gated apartment complexes, would this mean that you would want:

* Parking lot roads for parking lots and access roads outside the gate (if any),
* and Private roads for inside the gate?

Would that be the best way to handle it?
wistex
Send a message