Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Getting summer routes during winter road closures

Post by austinid
During the winter most Yellowstone NP roads are closed and therefor no mapping programs will give me routes through the area. I run a business that delievers to the Yellowstone area in the summer and I need to set up the routes and mileage for each job in the winter. How do I get around this?

-G Austin
Austin Rentals, LLC
austinid

POSTER_ID:17532846

Send a message

Post by ReuberNinja
Hello austinid,

I am an Area Manager for the Yellowstone/Grand Teton Areas, and have all of the winter closures in place until they are set to expire in mid/late spring. Since Waze is based on realtime traffic data(including closures) it wouldn't be possible to use in app routing for winter closures. The best option would be to use the livemap, and set an origin and destination on the segments inside the closures to get an estimate. https://www.waze.com/livemap

If your looking for more exact options I know that Google Maps does have a way to make your own map with multiple destinations. With that option you may not get correct or updated road segments as they are sometimes weeks/months/quarters/semesters behind on updating. I have updated a large majority of Yellowstone the last 1/2 of 2017, and expecting to have most completed by the time all the seasonal closures are lifted.

Let me know if there is something more specific I/we can help you with from the Waze community.

ReuberNinja
ReuberNinja
Send a message