Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by GarvinGray
Here in Qld, all road rules still apply in car parks. So posted speed limits still apply. And there are quite a lot of car parks that have posted speed limit signs.

When adding car park roads, I do not set speed limits as usually finding the correct speed limit is rather difficult and not worth the effort. I take the approach, leave it up to the driver.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message
As waze editors, our role is to map based on what is legal. It is the job of councils and governments to determine whether or not a turn or other similar 'risky' situations should be permitted based on risk assessments performed by people much more qualified than us to do so.

This point is not up for discussion, never has been and never will be.

Post by Osaka78
Traveling_Gav wrote:Yeah I don't think we want arbitrary limits. If there isn't a sign then leave it blank I would say.
Does Traveling Gav's summary apply to all roads on the Waze map? Or just car parks?

We're trying to learn how Aussie Waze editors map roads without speed limit signs

For example this road's Street View has no speed limit

Thanks and kind regards from Osaka78
Osaka78
Send a message

Post by Osaka78
Can you please clarify?

Vestigal says, "Where no speed limit is posted, the default limit for your respective state applies."

Traveling Gav says, "Yeah I don't think we want arbitrary limits. If there isn't a sign then leave it blank I would say."

So when editing the Waze map, when no speed limit is posted, and the default speed limit applies, would you leave the speed limit field blank or not?

Thanks for helping. Kindest regards from Osaka78
Osaka78
Send a message

Post by TimAThing
I think this approach makes sense. Waze isn't really for navigating around car parks, so adding speed limits to car park segments might score someone edit points, but doesn't really improve the map or the navigating experience.
TimAThing
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message
L5, State Manager for NSW and Tasmania
Country Manager, Australia

Post by TimAThing
Osaka78 wrote:Can you please clarify?

Vestigal says, "Where no speed limit is posted, the default limit for your respective state applies."

Traveling Gav says, "Yeah I don't think we want arbitrary limits. If there isn't a sign then leave it blank I would say."

So when editing the Waze map, when no speed limit is posted, and the default speed limit applies, would you leave the speed limit field blank or not?
The comments are consistent, if you take them in context.

If it is on a normal road (street, primary street, major/minor highway) then I'd apply the default speed limit for that state (where there are no signs to the contrary). In NSW, that speed limit is 50 km/h in built-up areas, 100 km/h elsewhere (source and definitions). Presumably other states have identical or similar rules. The rule is well-defined and legally enforcable, so applying it in the absence of signage is not arbitrary.

If it is a private road, parking road/car park or similar, then I'd omit the speed limit. There isn't a defined (let alone legally-enforceable) standard for car parks, so in the absence of signage, making up our own limit would be arbitrary.
TimAThing
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message
L5, State Manager for NSW and Tasmania
Country Manager, Australia

Post by Traveling_Gav
Sounds reasonable if they are adding them but are you sure there isnt some default being applied by Waze HQ? I thought I recently noticed on a private road segment a limit of 30?
Traveling_Gav
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Traveling_Gav
I thought maybe they ran some script and just added in a bunch of limits on private segments without speeds but I could be totally wrong...!
Traveling_Gav
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Traveling_Gav
I would say if you can see a sign then put it in but I wont be fussed if someone puts in a carpark and doesnt take the time to try and find a limit sign.
Traveling_Gav
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Traveling_Gav
Yeah I dont think we want arbitrary limits. If there isnt a sign then leave it blank I would say.
Traveling_Gav
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Vestigal
Where no speed limit is posted, the default limit for your respective state applies.

See here for more info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_lim ... _territory
Vestigal
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... r-N-N5.gif
Vestigal (6), Country Coordinator, Local Champ, Australian Editing Community
Kurt
44,000km driven with Waze | 4280 UR's Resolved | 12,319,214 km² Managed Area
-
Join us in the Waze Australia Discord Server.