The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Bad street routing - even against one way roads.

Post by
Hello

I'm not sure what to do about this - looking for suggestions.

I was driving to work, and Waze tried to place me on a Freeway offramp going the wrong direction. The offramp was correctly labeled as one way in the proper direction.

http://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=8&l ... TTFFFTTTTT

It wanted me to turn left from Bird Ave. onto the left offramp, then make a right turn at the bottom of the ramp to get on the freeway. I checked the roads, and everything looks OK.

Any ideas here?

POSTER_ID:165956

Send a message

Post by cobra
You can try the same thing in the livemap and see of it shows the same bad route.
cobra
Send a message

Post by friedlinguini
So if Waze is going to route us against one-way roads and restricted turns anyway, why not enable turns and use two-way roads by default?
friedlinguini
Send a message

Post by JAMBRAM
Cobra, are you saying you can check routes in the LiveMap? If so, how?
JAMBRAM
Send a message
JAMBRAM/VOLWAZER
Waze 2.0.0.0
Samsung Omnia i910
WinMo 6.1, Stock Rom
2006 Dodge Ram MegaCab
Memphis, Tennessee

Post by JAMBRAM
smart-aleck. I've looked at that page hundreds if not thousands of times and never noticed it! Thanks. Great way to check your map edits. A lot of posts make more sense now.
JAMBRAM
Send a message
JAMBRAM/VOLWAZER
Waze 2.0.0.0
Samsung Omnia i910
WinMo 6.1, Stock Rom
2006 Dodge Ram MegaCab
Memphis, Tennessee

Post by naesstrom
Zmatik wrote:I have proved that locking street segments do not prevent the navigation in opposite direction.
I realize that it is necessery with unknown roads, but with updated roads it is serious bug.
Any suggestions?
I've seen that happen a few times to, might try adding some turn restrictions so you can't make the wrong turn and see if that helps!
naesstrom
Send a message

Post by RallyChris
Based on connectivity you are correct, I'm not seeing legitimate reason for it to choose that path.

I have seen Waze go against one ways before, but normally only when the real path didn't work.

To make it so navigation can work at all when most of the roads are "unknown" Waze can use the opposite direction on a road that has been "seen" in one direction. Otherwise, until all roads along your route have been seen in the direction you are traveling, things just would not work. The navigation routines will prefer roads that have been seen in the proper direction over trying to go the opposite direction of a one way, but if necessary it will suggest it. If you do drive it, you just validated the opposite direction for the system.

I would presume (haven't seen this documented). That a "locked" one way will not be used in the opposite direction no matter how bad the alternatives are. In this case, the ramp used is not locked. I would give that a try first.

Also has the side benefit of the auto mangler not two waying your ramps/freeway based off bad GPS data.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by RallyChris
Another possibility is the prefer unknown roads option. At one time this would ignore one ways. Don't know what the current status of that feature is.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by Shorty-CM
Definitely NOT by clicking Get Directions. ;)
JAMBRAM wrote:Cobra, are you saying you can check routes in the LiveMap? If so, how?
Shorty-CM
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Shorty-CM
It's obviously a bug and not intended behaviour.
Shorty-CM
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Shorty-CM
Strange. I can't think of a penalty much larger than driving the wrong way up a freeway onramp and heading into oncoming traffic. Many people have died around here from doing that. I fail to see how Waze can justify telling drivers to do so with any explanation whatsoever. Yes, people should pay attention to their driving. But they don't always do so. And if you're in a strange area it may not be as obvious as it could be that the directions you were just told were incorrect and are endangering your life and/or the lives of others. It doesn't matter how many do not enter signs they put up around here or how big and red they make then, somebody still drives up the wrong way onto the freeway and kills themselves and/or others because they didn't realize it was the wrong way until it was too late. Waze should never be telling someone to do exactly that. Ridiculous.
Shorty-CM
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message