Android Auto - Use Car GPS Antenna

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff do not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Re: Android Auto - Use Car GPS Antenna

Postby an1uk » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:58 am

NickoandLisa wrote:I would use Waze over Google Maps IF it utilised my cars internal GPS. Such a shame it doesn't. Any ideas on whether this is going to be added?

Given it has been 16 months since the original suggestion, it looks like Waze don't care.
an1uk

Postby an1uk » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:28 pm

jm6087 wrote:
an1uk wrote:
NickoandLisa wrote:I would use Waze over Google Maps IF it utilised my cars internal GPS. Such a shame it doesn't. Any ideas on whether this is going to be added?

Given it has been 16 months since the original suggestion, it looks like Waze don't care.

I am not saying that it is something that Waze may or may not consider, but currently only 255 people have upvoted the idea.

There are suggestions with 5000 votes that haven't been implemented.
I guess that's because fewer people use Waze on Android Auto, and most people see it just "works" and don't care about the technicalities.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
an1uk

Postby daMastahF » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:33 pm

This is indeed a feature that Waze should definitely implement, and especially because Google Maps already uses it, many users expect to be there. Otherwise it is a huge regression compared to Google Maps. Also users also tend put their phone out of view when using Android Auto, where the phone will probably have (very) limited GPS reception.
daMastahF

Postby jaysan13 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:09 pm

I totally agree with this suggestion. My car has a built-in GPS antenna, which Google Maps on Android Auto uses. But when I use Waze on Android Auto, it uses my phone's GPS instead.

The biggest problem is the battery drain. When using Google Maps on Android Auto, my phone charges when plugged into the USB port. But if using Waze on Android Auto, the phone's battery actually drains, even though it's plugged into the USB port and "charging", even with the phone screen off. This is because Waze in Android Auto insists on using the phone's GPS (which is very power hungry) while Google Maps smartly uses the car's built-in GPS antenna instead.

So Waze, please do this! I prefer Waze to Google Maps. But if using Android Auto, I have to stick with Google Maps due to Waze using the phone's GPS (instead of the car's GPS) which results in battery drain.
jaysan13

Postby jm6087 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:08 am

an1uk wrote:

I am not saying that it is something that Waze may or may not consider, but currently only 255 people have upvoted the idea.

There are suggestions with 5000 votes that haven't been implemented.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby NickoandLisa » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:55 am

I would use Waze over Google Maps IF it utilised my cars internal GPS. Such a shame it doesn't. Any ideas on whether this is going to be added?
NickoandLisa

Postby Rama41 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:37 pm

I concur. On a recent long trip using Waze, my Samsung Galaxy 8 overheated and shut down. I was using a music app also, but suspect the battery issue was the main driver.
Rama41

Android Auto - Use Car GPS Antenna

Postby T2B2 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:01 pm

I've noticed a 'problem' with the way that Waze handles Android Auto integration. Specifically, it always relies on the phone GPS antenna, even when it can't aquire a solid position lock due to, for example, the metal roof of the car interfering.

Conversely, Google Maps will switch over to the much larger, much more sensitive, and much better placed GPS antenna that is integrated with the headset/car when it's connected via Android Auto. This means that, unlike with Google Maps, I have to place my phone in the window if I want a reasonably solid position lock while using Waze.

Please allow Waze to poll the car's GPS antenna for position data when connected via Android Auto.

Suggestion Box Entry Below
https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223 ... ar-antenna
T2B2

Return to Waze App Feature Requests