Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by jm6087
sidaorb wrote:Surely a very simple solution would be to have an add button for users to place height, weight and width restriction points to the current map, these would then be visible to other users. Maybe on a separate on/off switch for this feature would mean 'car' drivers could disable it, similar to a POI catagory.
How would this be a very simple solution. Even if adding the button were simple, the volunteers would need to get the data to add and the app would have to be programmed to accept the data and differentiate between vehicle types.

Just because you can say it is "a very simple solution", doesn't mean that the actual coding is as simple as you think.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
steelguitarlane wrote:So Google is unable to do that which Garmin and Rand McNally have been doing for around fifteen years?
Does Garmin and Rand McNally offer a free navigation system for truckers (or the average vehicle user), not that I am aware of. Waze does not charge for their system either and does not want to have a paid version as of yet.

I am guessing that Garmin and Rand McNally have a dedicated navigation system for truckers and it is not part of the normal navigation system that the average car driver. Waze has not been interested into getting into that market as of yet.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
world_qiiqc45i wrote:I don't understand how functions such as low bridges and width restrictions (UK) cannot be implemented as other truck GPS apps have this application.
As probably stated numerous times, you have to pay for the other truck GPS apps. Waze has said they currently have no intention on adding these features for various reasons, some of which are 'cost to write the program', 'possibly liability issues', and 'not what Waze is designed for'
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
usa_56lugs0o wrote:Suggestion to Waze

Make a “Pro level”
All the same features PLUS
height/weight restrictions
No truck route options
Are Scales open?
Truck friendly rest stop
No/fewer ads?
And IF there is ads you can target market even more?

Most of us would be willing to pay for that
And truckers are on the roads and highways more and will give you a better feedback on road closures and hazards
Waze does not monitor these forums. They have also been very clear that as if now they have no interest in shpporting trucks.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
usa_rk8pxin5 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:40 am
Roadeo1 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:06 pm Would it be possible for WAZE to have a CDL-A GPS version? Meaning the system would avoid low bridges and restricted routes and bridges?

Nope
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
usa_hp09vna3 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:45 pm
Roadeo1 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:06 pm Would it be possible for WAZE to have a CDL-A GPS version? Meaning the system would avoid low bridges and restricted routes and bridges?

Did you happen to read the post just above yours before asking the same question as many others? 
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
CATventures wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:35 pm I too agree that a CDL mode would be amazing.

At the VERY least I think "Vehicle type" could be updated to include "Truck".

Currently map editing recognizes and is able to implement restrictions for Private, Electric, Motorcycle, Public transportation, and Taxi. I see no reason why I'm unable to select Truck as an option.

I understand the issues with the countless concerns regarding weight, height, seasonal, etc. and the potential legal concerns. But lets boil this issue down to the most basic form, Vehicle Type Restrictions. Why is it that truck restrictions are well known with physical signs everywhere dating back quite literally almost a century in some cases, but there are no concerns at all for adding Electric vehicles for Waze map potential restrictions? I understand Electric Vehicle Type was added for charging stations, but it was undeniably also added as a map navigation recognized vehicle type with the ability for the community to set restrictions or priority.

The first EV Hummer has an approximate 10,400-pound GVWR, that already has it hitting some 5 ton weight restrictions. Some roads are already seasonally closed to standard traffic. Some roads require off-road capabilities, which is not a current vehicle type either.

Vehicle Type restrictions can have infinite variants and reasonings, but the details already don't seem to matter. For example, I just edited a local highway rest stop exit to make the first left restricted to all current vehicle types year round. Because if I pull over for an unplanned rest stop, I don't want to keep hearing 'turn left because it is shorter' when that is the trucks only section and my bathroom and parking is on the right. Conveniently there was a map edit comment section to explain the non-selectable additional information regarding all current vehicle type restriction, where I wrote "Trucks Only".

There are hints that this is potentially a work in progress as it is mentioned in the Wazeopedia. Which surprisingly goes on to mention Vehicle type (trucks, buses, hazardous materials, etc.), but seems to be indefinitely on the back-burner.

Waze is a community project, but the impossible task cannot be done without allowing the community to take the first step.

This forum is not actively monitored by staff.  The volunteers monitoring this forum can only tell you that Waze is a commuter app and they have stated many times that they have no intention of supporting trucks.  Please feel free to search the Uservoice section for other requests and add your information to it if you like.
https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59225 ... uggestions

jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jpartain89
Ok, so I have a few thoughts on this exact subject....

First off, my trucker boyfriend HATES the existing GPS systems that semi-truck drivers are essentially REQUIRED to purchase in order to perform their jobs at all! They are based off of old, outdated coding standards from the pre-google maps era of the internet.... Not to mention the fact that if you don't get the system that says "FREE LIFETIME UPDATES", you have to pay for any updates!!

Second, the last time I ran with him, I had Waze running on my phone while his GPS was running, and basically until you're inside of a city, they are more or less the same routes.

Third, the information clearly exists out there, somewhere, since these GPS companies are providing a product with it (weight limits, height limits, etc.). I'd imagine that this information is in the same places that we already are utilizing to help us build out Waze's maps (city, state, US-wide websites). Its just the matter of pulling it in/having users input just like everything else we've all done here.

Fourth, and possibly the most lucrative part!?!? Not only would truckers most likely pay for this! (either a small monthly fee or an upfront price cheaper than the current systems), but the largest companies would most definitely be up for it, just from a safety perspective! Then, with the possibility of building in the various tracking systems that these companies utilize, this could be a huge income!

The majority of the information is already inside of Waze! It would be just as simple as adding in the heights for bridges (which is already a "partial" editing field in the Waze map editor), the weight restriction for bridges (which could be a simple addition) and "no truck routes" which is just another "turn restriction" addition.

I honestly believe adding trucking routes would be a huge boon to not just Waze and its user base - adding hundreds, if not thousands of truckers - but it would be a HUGE data set that Google could then also utilize! I just honestly see no downsides whatsoever!
jpartain89
Send a message
Greater Dallas, Tx Area Driver
iPhone 14 Pro Max
jpartain89@gmail.com

Post by mbowler2010
I'm a web developer currently tossing around the idea of making a waze like app for truckers/rvers. What requirements would you guys like the app to have? Obviously height and weight restrictions but what else?
mbowler2010
Send a message

Post by NicolasWaisman
What if we gather a considerable number of volunteers to be available to map just all those new features?
I personally consider bringing truck drivers to the ecosystem will render a more secure environment for all of us.
NicolasWaisman
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message