Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Share initiatives and actions which made your community grow, from editor competitions to social media activities. Swap ideas and tips and help strengthen the global Waze community

Waze may have saved a life

Post by jdstutes
Yesterday 1/20/2019 I was driving I-10 west in a construction zone through Orange, Texas when Waze reported there was an object in the road ahead. I slowed allowing the car to my right to pull ahead as I scanned my 360 degrees with heightened awareness of traffic, road conditions and road surface. Topping an overpass I spotted the object; it was a 6 foot high pile of blue and white tarp the size of a wadded circus tent that completely blocked the right hand lane of the highway. Since the area was under construction the shoulder was blocked with concrete barriers and there was no place for the traffic in the right hand lane to go except into the left lane with me. Since Waze had alerted me there was an object and I reduced speed there was enough room ahead of me for the vehicle to my right to change lanes and escape a head on plunge into the pile of tarp. Had Waze not warned me I would have been surprised by the tarp, I wouldn't have slowed and being even with the car to my right they would have had nowhere to go except into the object ... so ... as far as I'm concerned the Waze alert set factors in to motion averting a disaster and very possibly saved a life.
jdstutes

POSTER_ID:17627532

Send a message

Post by dfw_gis
Thank you for sharing this story jdstutes! It truly shows the power of the community of users and the work of editors to make this app and experience as amazing as it is. Safe travels!
dfw_gis
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by jkl5
You're lucky
jkl5
Beta tester
Beta tester
Send a message
JK
L5
https://i.ibb.co/JFLWTR5/Screenshot-3.png
Waze Map Editor volunteer- Rank 5
Transifex Coordinator for Arabic

Post by kahlcolimon
It's very pleasant to read this type of experience and to know that teamwork not only improves mobility times but also helps the well-being of drivers.
kahlcolimon
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Kahl Colimon
Waze Colombia Coordinator/Waze Global Champ
Country Manager/First Responder Member
App Beta Leader/WME Beta Tester

https://s.waze.tools/gc.png

lotogi
Send a message
Last edited by lotogi on Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by shmupi
lotogi wrote:God bless them waze developer
The Waze god...
shmupi
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by shmupi
jkl5 wrote:You're lucky
He was...in 2019. who knows what the Waze gods have in store for him for 2020....
shmupi
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message