Speed Limit Question

Post by DrivingWithBill
Why can we not get the speed limit here to be 20mph both ways

My thoughts:

Seams silly since waze has started putting alerts to all the railroad crossings we clearly have a focus on safety isn't a school zone a safety issue?

Further we have alerts for red light and speed cameras, police visible and hidden as ways to avoid tickets, why are we choosing then not to provide this valuable asset for regular speed traps. they used to have a speed camera here in fact but speed camera was for school hours of 20mph and then in theory off during non school hours. they had a little issue with the speed cameras issue tickets outside that window and subsequently the whole program got cancelled.

So the precedent of high enforcement exists. Would you have done a speed camera here for 20mph if that was still existing despite the fact that the speed limit is 30mph by your definition?
DrivingWithBill
Area Manager
Area Manager
-Drivingwithbill

this space intentionally left blank

Post by DrivingWithBill
Im confused this doesn't seam to reflect the issue of majority of time nor the concern about safety and speed trap.
DrivingWithBill
Area Manager
Area Manager
-Drivingwithbill

Post by DrivingWithBill
I get this but Orange Signs are advisory and not legally enforceable, such as signs about railroad crossings. So the addition of these to the map plus the fact that there is a different depiction of this type of road is purely for safety informational purposes.

School speed limit signs are legally enforceable, white signs. Also have safety implications. We are choosing to provide warnings on Long Island that the railroads exist which have large signage, gates flashing lights, bells, but not provide notification of a legally enforced speed limit?

Further I am not asking for an exception for ALL school zones and recognize not all school zones have speed traps. I am noting a specific location with almost daily speed traps that has one direction recognizing the school zone speed limit and the opposite direction is not being observed, despite the fact the speed trap targets both directions.

You appear to have the speed cameras in NYC mapped.. But here is a funny part on that, those are also only limited to school hours (or technically 1 hour pre to 1 hour post) which is less than 50% of the year. Why are these being mapped and included? They represent a variable condition for most of the year?

My confusion here is the logic being applied to the school zone speed limit is not being applied to other scenarios with similar implications: speed cameras, railroad crossings.I am also confused on how would mapping a speed limit in a school zone generate more problems than it solve. Do you really get lots of complaints that the school zone is only enforceable x number hours a day or are we ignoring the fact that the largest volume of end users are probably driving through these zones during school hours.
DrivingWithBill
Area Manager
Area Manager
-Drivingwithbill

Post by DrivingWithBill
Fair enough but I was under the impression that the community got to make their guidance and variances for local states needs. I will bring this up at a national level.
DrivingWithBill
Area Manager
Area Manager
-Drivingwithbill

Post by DrivingWithBill
I wasn't asking for a feature, just for the road section in question to reflect a 20mph speed limit all the time instead of 30mph since it is so actively enforced, on almost a daily basis.
DrivingWithBill
Area Manager
Area Manager
-Drivingwithbill

Post by cycle201
New School Zones list from DOT

All mods please help out getting these updated, I will be doing Staten Island slowly by adding days,hours,etc when allowed.

https://www1.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads ... -zones.pdf
cycle201

Post by cycle201
yeah, only certain hours and waze doesnt have that capibility
cycle201

Post by cycle201
jdelosa wrote:That is definitely something we do weigh on a case by case basis.

I was referring to the list as presented. I did not see any hours or days in effect, and therefore suggested we need some additional information to make a determination on where we could add or change the speed limits.

NYS list is here, and we know school is mon-fri, seems we can just lower the limit as a warning, Just my opinion
cycle201

Post by cycle201
DrivingWithBill wrote:Why can we not get the speed limit here to be 20mph both ways

My thoughts:

Seams silly since waze has started putting alerts to all the railroad crossings we clearly have a focus on safety isn't a school zone a safety issue?

Further we have alerts for red light and speed cameras, police visible and hidden as ways to avoid tickets, why are we choosing then not to provide this valuable asset for regular speed traps. they used to have a speed camera here in fact but speed camera was for school hours of 20mph and then in theory off during non school hours. they had a little issue with the speed cameras issue tickets outside that window and subsequently the whole program got cancelled.

So the precedent of high enforcement exists. Would you have done a speed camera here for 20mph if that was still existing despite the fact that the speed limit is 30mph by your definition?

I whole hearty agree, the roadway already has an option for restricting what vehicles and what days it (speed limit) is already in operation, seems like a reasonable request and area mods can pull data from their local authority....
High 5 sir, i got (spoken too) for trying to do this exact thing 1 by 1, and with a DOT (Dept of Transportation) official list, Was told no way........

Good luck sir
cycle201