Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Coordinator: orbitc & ARC: PhantomSoul | RussPA
------------------------------------------------------------
Post by SpencerFG
I like Vol's suggestion but I would suggest starting with something that reminds the reporter that they submitted a report and started the process. So my typical reply would be something like:

"Waze did not provide us enough information to solve the General Error report that you submitted this morning on third Avenue near 40th Street. Was there a temporary reason you were unable to follow the Waze instruction to turn right . . . "

Of course, the actual text will vary widely depending on the situation. I'd also be cautious not to write anything too restrictive into the guidelines because the response may need to vary greatly depending on the location and insight of the particular editor.
SpencerFG
Send a message

Post by SpencerFG
Vicki pointed out that some reporters do try to reply from the email notification. It is a problem but sometimes I think our replies get too complicated for somebody reading them on the app. If there's too much boilerplate we may well confuse and discourage replies.
SpencerFG
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this, Justin.

Your draft is a lot like the guidance Pennsylvania has just added to its wiki pages, thanks to ehcool68. What's not to like about that?
It will be very easy to fix this draft up so it says NOR instead of NY or PA.
And to list the email addresses to the bottom, for the states that use them.
And even to make it so that any state can choose to transclude the text straight into their wazeopedia page, so that every time we as a regional community fix a typo or clarify the wording, everybody sees the latest copy everywhere automatically.

It seems to me the firs step is to make sure we get the wording right.
Other than fixing this document to say "NOR" instead of "NY", I'd like to take aim at this paragraph:
To improve your chances of getting helpful replies to your UR comments, use specific, personalized comments such as Last Tuesday at 5PM, Waze instructed you to turn right on W 40th Street, but you continued straight on 8th Avenue. What was wrong?. Avoid using generic generated comments, and be very cautious of any scripts which have options to automate your comments. Automatically generated responses can be used, but it's strongly recommended not to use the auto fill/auto send feature, as these show no involvement in trying to investigate and identify the problem.
I think the last two sentences can be folded together, into something like this:
To improve your chances of getting helpful replies to your UR comments, use specific, personalized comments such as Last Tuesday at 5PM, Waze instructed you to turn right on W 40th Street, but you continued straight on 8th Avenue. What was wrong?. Be very cautious of any scripts which have options to automate your comments - do not allow them to automatically fill and send an entire comment. If you use automatically generated responses like "You reported turn not allowed", be sure to add the specific details most likely to solicit the answers you need.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
The italicized text was meant to be an example of using specific details rather than a "rule" or "generic response". What is a good way to make this clear?
voludu2
Send a message

Post by YourEvilTwinFTW
To reiterate my comments on the NY UR thread:
I'm good with a change to the process to remind after 3 days and close after 7 days with no user responses. We used this in the NYC project and I think it worked well.
From my memory, very few user responses come in between the Day-7 reminder and the Day-14 closure. Of the ones that do, they come in right after the 7 day reminder, probably because the user had forgotten to answer the initial Day-0 question. In this case, it's not a matter of the 7th day, but the reminder message itself. I would suspect a Day-3 reminder would be just as effective.
I would also suspect that at the Day-7 mark, many users don't reply because their response is "how the heck would I remember what I reported last week?" so quicker reminders may actually improve user response as they may be more likely to remember on Day-3.
YourEvilTwinFTW
Send a message