Coordinator: karlcr9911 & ARC: sketch
------------------------------------------------------------

Red Light Cameras in the SCR Wiki

Post by mariettagecko
I believe that we may need to adjust the SCR wiki page at this time. As we have been discussing at length this week, red light cameras were banned by new legislation just signed by the Texas governor. I therefore think that perhaps we need to edit this section of the SCR Wiki:

https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/US ... al#Texas_2

My suggestion for the new content would be as follows:
While Texas has allowed red-light cameras in the past, recent legislation has been signed banning them. Some cities have been given special dispensation due to contract expiration dates, but most cities are required to disable and/or remove red-light cameras by September 1, 2019.

Editors are encouraged to investigate whether the cameras in the areas in which they edit are still operating. If not, please do delete the cameras from the map. If they are still operating, please leave them in place. If unsure, we can probably safely err on the side of deleting the cameras.
mariettagecko

POSTER_ID:11275619

Send a message

Post by snowboardjoe
Yep! I went looking for a few and noticed they were all gone. :)
snowboardjoe
Send a message
Joe Morris
Austin, Texas
AM: South central Texas

Post by snowboardjoe
Austin also shutdown all enforcement of red light cameras citywide effective immediately, so you can add that to the list. I don't think there are many though. A rare sighting for me (and I drive a lot right now).
snowboardjoe
Send a message
Joe Morris
Austin, Texas
AM: South central Texas

Post by juliansean
That's a good addition. I'm a fan of adding reminders so editors don't have to go wiki diving when one sentence here solves the issue.

Information on Humble, Tomball, and Jersey Village are in this article.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/t ... 941700.php
juliansean
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message
Sean Julian
CM
SM: TX, LA, MS, AR, OK
AM: SE FL, Boston, MA, Brooklyn, NY, Bronx, NY, Manhattan, NY, Queens, NY, E CA, SW KS

Post by jm6087
jangliss wrote:Yep, understood, but if we're explicitly calling out removing RLCs, it might be worth referencing it so if people forget, it's covered.

I only mentioned it because I dealt with an RLC issue several months ago that was marked fixed and URs still pilled up because the editor hadn't updated a neighboring segment.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
What about this?
SCR Wiki wrote:While Texas has allowed red-light cameras in the past, recent legislation has been signed banning them. Some cities have been given special dispensation due to contract expiration dates, but most cities are required to disable and/or remove red-light cameras by September 1, 2019.

Editors are encouraged to investigate whether the cameras in the areas in which they edit are still active. If the cameras are no longer active, they may be deleted from the map.

Remember that red-light cameras do not trigger an update automatically.
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
jangliss wrote:I've not had a chance to take a look, but it might be worth adding a comment that removing RLCs does not trigger a tile update (unless it has changed), so other changes in the area will need to be done to update.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That is covered in the https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Ma ... er_updates
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
SCR Wiki updated
While Texas has allowed red-light cameras in the past, recent legislation has been signed banning them. Some cities have been given special dispensation due to contract expiration dates, but most cities are required to disable and/or remove red-light cameras by September 1, 2019.

Editors are encouraged to investigate whether the cameras in the areas in which they edit are still active. If the cameras are no longer active, they may be deleted from the map.
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
snowboardjoe wrote:Austin also shutdown all enforcement of red light cameras citywide effective immediately, so you can add that to the list. I don't think there are many though. A rare sighting for me (and I drive a lot right now).

I have already went through and deleted most of Austin's. If you notice any I missed, let me know.
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ