Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by Mvan231
Did you include that in your info to Waze support?
Mvan231
Send a message
- Mark
Mvan231 (3) MI AM
GLR | Michigan Editor
Wazeopedia :lol: | Engineer :geek: | iOS user :)

https://s.waze.tools/c3.png

Post by Mvan231
Agreed! That is a ridiculous amount of data. I'm pretty sure the definition of the problem is in this thread. I use Waze everyday and have never really seen usage of more than 500-600 MB. Typical usage in a month is only around 300 MB.
Mvan231
Send a message
- Mark
Mvan231 (3) MI AM
GLR | Michigan Editor

Post by Mvan231
Unfortunately it sounds like Waze support is ignoring the issue despite many people submitting the issue to them
Mvan231
Send a message
- Mark
Mvan231 (3) MI AM
GLR | Michigan Editor

Post by Mvan231
This thread explains that this is a Waze app issue and they are working on the fix. It should be implemented soon, but hard to say exactly when the update will be released.
Mvan231
Send a message
- Mark
Mvan231 (3) MI AM
GLR | Michigan Editor

Post by Mvan231
Maybe the recent 4.55.1.0 update fixed the problem?
Mvan231
Send a message
- Mark
Mvan231 (3) MI AM
GLR | Michigan Editor

Post by OlderTimer
On a recent 1800 mile trip, I used 123MB of data. That includes making and receiving reports. Apparently you are doing something wrong.

Tip:
Load your entire route while on WiFi. Waze will remember the map tiles, and not have to load them while you drive. It will then load only the reports, etc.
OlderTimer
Send a message

Post by OlderTimer
Waze Settings>General>Refresh map of my area.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I get quite low data usage by "driving" (swiping) my routes while on WiFi, to store the map tiles in memory. Twice, I did that, and then Refreshed my local area. Almost immediately learned that my map tiles of routes outside my local area disappeared.

So far, I have learned that loading new map tiles while en route uses data. If the map(s) have been revised during a trip, the memorized tiles are overwritten, thus using data. Making & receiving reports (including fuel prices) use data. If I do not use the phone for music streaming, additional searches, calls, etc etc, I show relatively little data use.

I also have just about everything that uses "background data" turned OFF on my android phones, with DaTally and/or other apps. Recentlly, I was surprised to learn a major data user was my voice-recognition keyboard app, so I now try not to use that app during fuel/food stops, unless WiFi is available.
OlderTimer
Send a message

Post by OlderTimer
swiping through your route while on wifi doesn't do anything different than starting the route while on wifi.
Well ... that is not my experience.
I have an approximate 900 mile route, divided into several segments (gas stops, etc). If i refresh my local map, then start the trip on WiFi, it quickly changes to LTE ... and my data usage shows I am loading the necessary tiles during the drive. Lots of data.

If I refresh my local map (optional), then swipe my way over the 900 mile route before taking the actual drive, my data usage is MUCH less, since most (if not all) of the tiles are saved in memory.

If I swipe (or drive) the route, and do not refresh my local map, several new tiles are downloaded, but the majority of the tiles remain unchanged in memory.

Others' experience may be different, particularly if they are doing most of their driving in their "local map", since that IS updated as you explained.
OlderTimer
Send a message

Post by OlderTimer
Have you tried just viewing the Overview to see if that will download the other tiles before start your drive?
Not recently. If I enter my starting point and ending point (~900 miles away), Waze takes a long time to figure things out. In fact, the server may hiccup. Since I do not take the Waze-recommended route between those distant points (I have manually listed "Favorites" as intermediate stops), the Overview may or may not load the tiles for the regions over which I drive.

But, so far, I have been successful in keeping my data usage low, as explained previously. Maybe it will work for other folks taking long trips as well.
OlderTimer
Send a message

Post by OlderTimer
Similar problem post ... with some answers:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=287414
OlderTimer
Send a message