These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by pascal_bdx
Hello gentlemen,

Like you, I noticed after July 15 a significant increase in the consumption of my mobile data. After doing some tests, and being helped by Google's Dataly application, I noticed that each time Waze was launched, about 20 MB of data was retrieved on my Android phone. After looking for what this data could be, I finally found: Waze repatriates at each launch the language files located in the Waze folder. It renames those already present with a double character ~~ and redownloads these same files. Total download: 26 MB at each launch. If you launch Waze 4 times a day (which is fast when you move), it is fast 100 MB per day, 3 GB per month! I hope the Waze team is working on the problem, because personally I have tried everything: uninstall Waze cleanly, reinstall it, delete my data, etc. The problem is systematic ... And I do not see how get myself out of it. I guess since July 15th, a script is causing this bug on some user accounts (since everyone is not concerned) ...
pascal_bdx
Send a message

Post by pascal_bdx
BeThereRealSoon wrote:Which folder did you find those files? I have that problem but I cannot find where the files are located.

Wait - I see it too. In "/data/data/com.waze/" Lots of lang.* data files all from today! All are duplicated, one having ~~ at the end.

Sent from my Moto G6 Plus using Tapatalk
Yes that's fine. And these files represent about 20 to 26 MB. This is, I think, this batch of files that generates the overconsumption of data since these files are re-downloaded each time the Waze software is launched!

edit :
For information, I tested with an old version of Waze, 4.45, and this one does not seem to suffer from the problem of consumption of data, it would not bring back the files of languages at each launching. If it can help solve the problem. Something has changed on July 15th and affects Waze versions higher than 4.45 - 4.5x (I have not tested any intermediate versions, so from which exact version it consumes, I do not know exactly)
pascal_bdx
Send a message

Post by pascal_bdx
No, because I admit I do not know how to do it, I'm not really used to communicating with the Waze team. I use the software, that's all. In addition, I am French and I am not very comfortable with English (there is the translation of Google for example). But if you want to tell them, do not worry. I am not the owner of the solution.
pascal_bdx
Send a message

Post by pascal_bdx
Personally, yesterday evening I did a copy and paste of what I found and reported on this forum, to support Waze. I received an automatic acknowledgment of receipt on my email address. I hope that an analysis will be made seriously and that they will find what causes the problem that obviously affects a lot of people in Android.
pascal_bdx
Send a message

Post by pascal_bdx
answer :

"Dear Wazer,

Thanks for contacting us.

We’re always looking to improve Waze, and user feedback is one of our most important tools for doing so.

Please know that we are constantly working to develop new and exciting features, bug fixes and more. We appreciate your thought-provoking ideas and feedback.

Thanks,

The Waze Support Team"
pascal_bdx
Send a message

Post by pascal_bdx
Hello

Small precision that I think is useful, the language files that are re-downloaded each time Waze starts, are the translation files of the interface, not the sounds that are heard when you drive. Nice and well those of the interface to see the inscriptions in the desired language
pascal_bdx
Send a message

Post by pascal_bdx
Hello,

do you know if developers are advancing on the problem. I know that beta testers are bound to confidentiality, but are tests being done to solve the problem? I tested the latest version 4.54.1.1 and the application still downloads 26 MB of data.
pascal_bdx
Send a message

Post by pascal_bdx
Thank you. I hope the team will soon release a corrected version
pascal_bdx
Send a message

Post by pascal_bdx
Hello,

It seems that the problem has been solved in the betas that are coming out now and that the next public release 4.55 should correct the problem for everyone.
pascal_bdx
Send a message

Post by Racia_Fiaca
Please Waze community: release the update soon because the internet data usage is so high! We need to pay for these extra usage. OMG Saludos desde Argentina!
Racia_Fiaca
Send a message