Toll Tool Suggestion post

Post by
Hello everyone!

Hope you are enjoying the pricing mapping! :)

As we received many requests and suggestions to improve the toll tool, we thought it would be a good idea to update all of you with the tool improvements and the suggestions that are currently under consideration in here!
We also want to take the opportunity to hear new suggestions in this post
Please be aware that we are doing our best to push forward all of your requests for improvements, but some things might take a bit of time and/or get prioritized

IMPLEMENTED IN JULY
  • Friendly Name for entry/exit matrices for the same road (e.g. normal rate, peak rate, holiday, etc)
  • Replace CAV with EV
  • Search for file by road name, file name & username
  • Auto-populate for segments
  • Hover over file name reveals toll road names in Load tolls screen
  • Many other small UI suggestions were also implemented (:
GOOD IDEAS
  • Add HOV Pricing
  • Add max price per toll id
  • Population tool should work with "toll-free for motorcycle"
  • Add a Pop up or a message that shows you successfully saved a file
  • Move the permalink to be first in the segment tab
  • Ability to search by segment
  • Ability to drag sections into different order
  • Give the Community the ability to upload a file in production.
  • Add map problems dedicated to pricing: This will make the information exchange between drivers & community much more effective.
  • Flagging in WME if a segment is mapped to a toll price: Currently community has to add very high lock levels and add map comments to help people understand not to change seg ids (cutting/merging etc.)
  • Dynamic Pricing
  • Add a stop functionality
NOT RIGHT NOW (OR NEED MORE INFO)
  • Function to increase all prices by a constant amount or percentage
  • Single section discount
  • Receiving an automatic email with segments that have been changed (split-merged) that involve toll roads
  • Map Stats: Ability for everyone to see what is already uploaded/saved as public on the map & maybe stats on number of segments mapped to the tool, roads uploaded per country
  • Launch WME view: From the playground tab create a button which would launch WME centered at the current center of the playground map. Something like "Launch WME for Current View” → I just want to clarify that you can currently see the WME toll segments by clicking “ Show Waze Toll Segments for current view”
  • Logging in with your Waze account in toll tool
  • Zero-dollar toll for entry/exit combination → please send us specific examples
  • Huge interconnected networks (i.e.: France) → We are working with communities to try to understand the challenges better. If your country has one of those huge interconnected networks you don’t know how to map, please let us know
  • When reversing the polyline for the other direction, checking via "draw" it is not visible which direction it is.
* Reservation required (for ferries) - It would be nice to be able to display “reservation required” next to a toll price.

Thanks to everyone who sent over the suggestions and for the great engagement and excitement that all of you are constantly showing about this feature!

We’ll try our best to keep this list updated.

Happy mapping! :D

Tamar

* [Post updated on August 8th]

POSTER_ID:17863375

Send a message

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
Hi Tamar, I had emailed toll prices support with a suggestion to add a "reservation required" checkbox in the tool and corresponding banner in the app. This is useful for certain ferries. It would enable us to map them normally and give prices, so that drivers could decide whether to book before they go.
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

For time-based tolls, where a road charges a toll to everyone at certain times but is free at other times, there is no way to enter these into the editor without a hack. The least hacky way is to make a toll-free restriction for the times when the road charges a toll, and to select a vehicle type that can't and probably won't be used in the app, such as public transportation or bus or truck. We have to do this, because WME doesn't allow us to save a toll free restriction that applies to nothing. Can we get WME to allow toll-free restrictions that have no criteria except for valid times/dates, so that there's no need for this hack?

I know that this is more of a WME suggestion, but Daliah asked me to post it here since it relates to toll pricing.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

moweez wrote:
Kartografer wrote:For time-based tolls, where a road charges a toll to everyone at certain times but is free at other times, there is no way to enter these into the editor without a hack. The least hacky way is to make a toll-free restriction for the times when the road charges a toll, and to select a vehicle type that can't and probably won't be used in the app, such as public transportation or bus or truck. We have to do this, because WME doesn't allow us to save a toll free restriction that applies to nothing. Can we get WME to allow toll-free restrictions that have no criteria except for valid times/dates, so that there's no need for this hack?

I know that this is more of a WME suggestion, but Daliah asked me to post it here since it relates to toll pricing.
The only thing you avoid with the hack is a toll penalty in routing. For the prices you can enter the times. At free times, it will return 0 (or nothing')

An alternative workaround for routing perhaps is to make an extra road (2 segments) without toll mapped under the other one, open at the times when it is toll-free. Scripts like validator and magic will give a warning, but it solves the issue.
Yes, entering prices of 0 is also necessary, in the case that someone's route includes a toll road somewhere else. We don't want the default price of the part-time free road to be added onto the price of the other toll road.

A penalty is applied to toll roads even for users who don't have avoid tolls on, so that can make a difference in routing. Of course the "avoid toll roads" penalty makes a big difference. Other hacks can be employed (thanks for yours), but I've been advised to see if staff will fix things before resorting to hacks. So I'm suggesting this, now that we have the interface to support it.

Sent from my S9 using Tapatalk
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

Post by abusimbel16
Would it be an idea to set the tool so, that at least within one country, the files of other users can be edited?
For example, we want summarize our ferries per state in one file. If the account is not able to make a changes (have no time, illness, etc), there is only a difficult way to replace the old file ...
abusimbel16
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by atrophicshiner
Can we get the warnings / errors that show on save to text wrap in the pop-up box, it is extremely difficult to read and understand the warnings when you can't see it all :!:
atrophicshiner
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 8
Send a message
- Chris - (Catching up with the Ia{i}ns one Chris at a time)

https://cottagepi.uk/proud-wazer.gifhttps://cottagepi.uk/pirate.pnghttps://cottagepi.uk/Beta_app.pnghttps://cottagepi.uk/tolls.pnghttps://cottagepi.uk/Iain.png
UK Local Champ would you believe
AM the Middle bit of England
Usability | Simplicity | Retention

Post by atrophicshiner
Would Staff please consider a confirmation/rejection message to the editor who has submitted a toll file (either new, change, or deletion). Now that the spreadsheet has over 1700 entries and continues to grow it is not exactly a fun experience to have to search/scroll through it daily on the off-chance your entry has been dealt with.

As we have to submit our username with any toll file change you should be able to send us a simple message to say "toll file xxx has been actioned" at least.
atrophicshiner
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 8
Send a message
- Chris - (Catching up with the Ia{i}ns one Chris at a time)

https://cottagepi.uk/proud-wazer.gifhttps://cottagepi.uk/pirate.pnghttps://cottagepi.uk/Beta_app.pnghttps://cottagepi.uk/tolls.pnghttps://cottagepi.uk/Iain.png
UK Local Champ would you believe
AM the Middle bit of England
Usability | Simplicity | Retention

Post by bedo2991
Suggestions (I've sent by E-mail, sorry):

[Not related to the toll tool]
is there any parameter to provide to the Livemap URL (example: &rp_tollPrice=true) to make the routing server return the "live" prices from the app ? (even if it won't be shown by the livemap interface, I know how to read it from the console).

[Related to the toll tool]
If not, could you please create a function "add all files from COUNTRY_X to the playground"? Or at least allow to select files with a checkbox and then a single "add to playground" button.

Otherwise, I must add around 20 files one by one each time and it takes ages.
bedo2991
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by bedo2991
I got as feedback (looking on Loaded & pending roads) that a file can't be uploaded (Italy_NorthEast) because the same segments are listed in another file (Italy_Central).

Shouldn't the Playground already check this, when I load both files? If yes, it gives me no errors.

I've written a small script to check it on my own, and I've found no duplicates within the segments' IDs and sections' names. How can I find out what the problem is?

Can't the people who upload the files reach out with more details?
bedo2991
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by jaywazin
Since tolls include components from WME and the Toll Tool to be "integrated" - and WME Tile updates and Toll Verification/Uploads are dys-synchronous from each other, I am wondering what can be done as far as change management when updates are needed, either because toll prices are increasing, or because there are changes in road structure or tolling structure. Well coordinated uploads of Toll files (or possibility of community upload as suggested) would certainly be welcome.

I think of this as I'm thinking about changing a toll structure from existing two one-way directional files with Matrix in/out formatting, into a single bidirectional in/out matrix file for easier long term maintenance. But this conversion would also require changes in some WME segments. Without tight coordination between the Tile updates and Toll upload it could be days or weeks without toll prices if this sort of update is made.

As a start I think it would be good for us to have notifications or ETAs on when Toll uploads are planned. OR we could request in advance a Toll upload date, or have a way to specify an activation date for an update Toll file, and have a way to specify a date that an active Toll file gets replaced by a new one.
jaywazin
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by jm6087
moweez wrote:
Ottolenga wrote:
IMPLEMENTED IN JULY
  • Search for file by road name, file name & username
At which level will it search the road name?
So far, my tests show the following can be entered in the search box and find the file

File Name
Username

Under Toll Section:
Toll_ID
road_local_name

Under Segments Section
id
fromNode
toNode
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs