[Discussion] ICC Toll Avoidance

Post by nzahn1
As you may know Maryland has a roadway called the Inter-County-Connector (MD-200) which has automated video / E-ZPass tolling by over-head gantry.

In Waze, we have each individual gantry set as a unique toll segment.

One of the impacts of mapping tolls this way is that there is an 'invisible' penalty for each gantry that a route might transit, even if the user has allowed tolls in his/her settings. This toll avoidance mechanism is meant to nudge navigation from toll routes to non-roll routes with a similar ETA.

However, these kinds of 'invisible' toll avoidance penalties can also accumulate to cause toll roads to be avoided altogether. For example, a route that travels the full length of the ICC can pass as many as 6 toll gantries, and the cumulative impact can cause routes to move to the beltway, even if the ICC is 10 faster or more.

Since the release of Toll Prices, I've been thinking that the toll-avoidance mechanisms for the ICC aren't allowing users to see the ICC as an equal option (or even an option at all) to the beltway or surface streets, so they can't decide if the price displayed is worth the time saved.

What are everyone's thoughts about changing the ICC to a single, uniform toll, which would not have the same accumulating toll avoidance? The downside of moving to a single toll is that the routing server wouldn't try to automatically minimize time spent on the ICC.
nzahn1
Coordinators
Coordinators

Rank 6 | US Local Champ | Mid-Atlantic Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta
WME Profile | E-mail | MD Twitter | MDForum | MDWiki

Post by kodi75
Given that toll prices are "live" in the app, I don't see the need to have the routing penalty by the segmenting individual gantries. Let the user decide based on price and time.
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager

Post by hippocampusLol
I live near the western terminus of the ICC and frequently ask Waze to route me to points east: Leisure World, Olney Theatre, JHU-APL, BWI, Camden Yards, etc. Waze has always appropriately suggested using the ICC. I do get the toll warnings and two other slower routes that avoid the ICC if I so choose, but I've not experienced the avoidance issues from my starting point when using the app. If we change the ICC penalty and the problem goes away then fine, but there may be other factors in play.
hippocampusLol

Post by kodi75
hippocampusLol wrote: I do get the toll warnings and two other slower routes that avoid the ICC if I so choose, but I've not experienced the avoidance issues from my starting point when using the app. If we change the ICC penalty and the problem goes away then fine, but there may be other factors in play.
If we decide to change the Segment Toll attribute, we should certainly measure the effects/ monitor URs, etc. to see if routing has improved.
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager

Post by mtb2314
I also live near the west end of the ICC, and I often see routes that avoid the ICC even when I have Avoid Toll Roads disabled. I have also seen some URs where the ICC was avoided even when it was faster. It would show up when you recalculate with the Routes option, but even then, it wasn't always the top recommended (default) route when toll roads should be allowed.

I figured at the time that it was the routing engine weighing the amount of the toll vs. the time saved. But now I have learned that the amount of the toll is not an input into the routing algorithm, so I assume I have been seeing the toll gantry penalties all along.

I am certainly open to changing the toll for the entire length, but does that also mean we won't know the predicted toll for a portion of the road? Or will the per-exit ICC toll calculation still be there?
mtb2314
State Manager
State Manager

Post by nzahn1
mtb2314 wrote:I am certainly open to changing the toll for the entire length, but does that also mean we won't know the predicted toll for a portion of the road? Or will the per-exit ICC toll calculation still be there?
The toll-pricing data is handled elsewhere, and would not be affected by changing from the toll-per-segment to a uniform toll along the entire length of the ICC.
nzahn1
Coordinators
Coordinators

Post by nzahn1
whoaitspete wrote:To trigger a toll price to display, there needs to be at least one WME tolled segment on the route. Would removing some gantries potentially cause a route between some exits to not have a toll segment where there is a toll price?
The change would be to add the toll attribute to all segments of the road, rather than removing any.
nzahn1
Coordinators
Coordinators

Post by mdswbkq
I'd be in favor of eliminating the individual toll gantries. In my experience, Waze almost never routes via the ICC because of this. I live near the River Road exit from the Beltway, and travel to and from NY. Waze NEVER uses the ICC via 270 as a primary route to or from home (and usually doesn't use it as an alternative). Admittedly, it is longer in mileage than the Beltway, but it is much less congested and probably comparable or better in time most of the times. When I turn off I-95 to MD-200, I have to turn routing off, because Waze bombards me with exit here on MD-29, exit here on Georgia Ave, exit here whatever. If the road is simply designated as a toll road, without the individual segment penalties, it would be a viable route in Waze. And it would eliminate a considerable number of URs.
mdswbkq
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
AM: Central Maryland

Post by kodi75
Recent UR on the ICC:
I was driving from BWI to Gaithersburg and Waze was taking me the long way around I-495. I turned on the ICC anyway and my ETA dropped by 8 minutes. This happened earlier as well in the opposite direction. I have toll roads enabled and the MD E-ZPass selected. This is new behavior from Waze... has something changed?
https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor/?env= ... st=8707740
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager

Post by mdswbkq
I was about to post the same UR as @kodi75.
mdswbkq
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
AM: Central Maryland