Edit request: Waze shows non-existent road

Post by b992ff00352943d8a2055d59c8cb326b
Waze's map has a few incorrect details around where I live. My account reset to zero points when I tried to log in to the web-based editor so I am putting a request in this forum until I have enough usage to edit it myself.

The area in question can be found by searching for the address 3788 Stetson Rd, Findley Lake, NY 14736. I have attached a photo that shows the road that doesn't exist (circled in green), along with two roads that are private driveways (circled in orange) and the proper location (blue squares) of the driveway/mailbox for two family properties at 3788 Stetson Rd and 10682 Sulphur Springs Rd.

The map lists two Stetson Roads, one that exists (perfectly straight north-south road on the PA-NY state line) and one that doesn't exist (~1000ft to the east of the actual Stetson Rd, originating at Sulphur Springs Rd to the South, passing north through several private properties before reaching a dead-end ~1/2-mile south of Colton Rd).

Interestingly, the non-existent roads appear on the USGS 1:24:000 topographic maps published in 2016, but not on the earlier USGS topo maps from the same area. I'm curious to know the reason behind the anomalies. The cellphone tower access road / driveway almost makes sense because it is visible on satellite photos and looks like a road, but the non-existent road shown on the topo and Waze doesn't follow the same path as the actual trail. I've taken a close look at the topography of the area shown as the non-existent Stetson Rd to see if maybe there used to be a trail through there when the area was a large cattle farm, but there isn't any evidence of an old private road.

Thanks for the help. I'm not sure how long it will take until I can make the edits myself, but I will update this thread when that happens. We have medical supply couriers and nurses coming every week and each new person seems to get completely turned around, usually ending up in the neighbor's driveway by following erroneous navigation instructions.
WAZEEDITS.JPG
(174.88 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
b992ff00352943d8a2055d59c8cb326b

POSTER_ID:17915065

Send a message

Post by b992ff00352943d8a2055d59c8cb326b
Yes, that would be great if you remove all of the circled roads. Thanks for the quick response.
b992ff00352943d8a2055d59c8cb326b
Send a message

Post by whoaitspete
Hi b992ff00352943d8a2055d59c8cb326b! As a Rank 1 editor, you won't be able to delete any roads. It could take some time to reach Rank 2, so we'd be happy to help you remove those so they're out of the app sooner rather than later.

The road was part of the initial basemap import. This came from a government source also used by the USGS, so it's likely that's why the roads are similar on the map. We remove the erroneous segments as we come across them, but there are only so many editors and so much land in the state to review. Based on your comments and my own review, I would remove all of the roads you have circled. Would you like me to go ahead and do that?
whoaitspete
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

USA Local Champ | NY State Manager | Android Beta Tester
Northeast Region Discord / NY Wazeopedia / Waze NY Twitter

Post by whoaitspete
I have removed the roads, but it will be a few days before this updates in the app.

While you're looking to start making some quality edits to build up points, I noticed that this nearby road appears to have the wrong name. It says Bliss Rd in Waze, but the county tax maps say it should be Miller Rd. Do you know if Bliss is the incorrect name? If so, you can go ahead and make that change to Miller Rd.

If you are interested in editing, I would highly recommend you join our Waze community. We can help you learn the Waze standards and give you pointers on editing early on. You can find the NY Wazeopedia page here (some mapping resources are available in a link near the top of the page). We also have a very active Discord chat server for the northeast, which you can join through the widget in this section of the NY page. With mentoring through the community, there is the opportunity to move up through the ranks at a quicker pace.
whoaitspete
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

USA Local Champ | NY State Manager | Android Beta Tester
Northeast Region Discord / NY Wazeopedia / Waze NY Twitter