Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

[Page Update] Real Time Closures - Node Closures

Post by subs5
Since Node closures are pushed to WME Production thought it would be best to have the discussion for the wiki update here to have history for later and not lost in the scroll of Discord.

Here is the original proposal from the Discord Channel with the change history.

Here is the proposed change.

I can post the pictures later but a first cut would be on this document.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 3

POSTER_ID:16976950

Send a message

Post by jaywazin
FWIW here are my suggestions building on Renee, Alan, and Nick's text.
Closing segments of a road using real-time closures will prevent Waze from routing wazers down that road. Node closures prevent Waze from routing wazers across intersections along a closed road. When a node is closed, no traffic can pass through that node in any direction. All turns through a closed node are prohibited. There is no partial node closure function to restrict individual turns without closing the entire node. In order to close a node to traffic, at least one segment attached to the node must be closed as well.

When entering a real-time closure, junction nodes between selected contiguous segments will automatically be pre-selected for closure, while nodes at the ends of a single segment or multiple contiguous segments are not automatically marked for closure. Prior to applying the closure, junction node closure status can be reviewed and toggled.

If all the real-time closures on segments attached to a closed node are removed, the node closure will be automatically removed as well. However, if any segment attached to a closed junction node remains closed, the node closure will also remain.

To work with node closures:

Select the segments to be closed and add segment closure information.
Review the list of nodes selected for closure. WME will have enabled junction nodes closures between contiguous selected segments. Mouse-over a node's cross-street name in the list of junction nodes in order to highlight that node on the map.
Enable and disable node closures as necessary.
Save segment and associated junction node real-time closures.
jaywazin
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by jm6087
Are you wanting this discussion on the global wiki or the US wiki? Just making sure.

Unless the construction is real long (like a year or longer), I am not a fan of this "hack"
Node closure on an intersection If there is construction that only closes the intersection and the adjoining segments allow routing up to intersection, then you can add another 6 m segment (ex two way Private Road with a prohibited Time Based Segment Restiction) to the intersection. After the Tile Update makes the new segment live in the app, then the new segment can be closed and have the junction node for the intersection be closed. After the intersection is opened the 6m PR should be removed.

Example there is work at the site of the new entrance and exit. Adding the new road allows it to be closed and add the node closure. This prevents any traffic though that corner.but the other road segments remain open. It does help to have the appropriate u-turns enabled on the open segments at the node closure.
I understand the reasoning, but I don't feel would should have to add a short PR to make up for the limitations of the node closure. I am not sure what other issues it may cause, not to mention having to get rid of the extra segment when construction is complete. If you are going to do this, I would just disconnect the segment like we currently do.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
For some reason, I am not a fan of discussing moving a node to a different node. I don't feel it is a common event and pointing it out may just inadvertently encourage someone to do it.

It has always been that any closure on segment that has been adjusted but not been updated in the tiles will show the original location of the segment closed, not the new location (until tile update). I would expect that nodes would be the same behavior.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
I can accept the changes as currently written in Alan's Wiki. I am not a huge fan but it is not enough to stop the release of the wazeo
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by SanzClew
John,

I agree with your concern about the hack. Luckily it does require forethought since segments have to be added requiring a TU delay. Language should be included to reinforce that this isn't a process that should be implemented carelessly.
SanzClew
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by subs5
voludu2 wrote:I created it because I could not edit either Nick's draft or Alan's draft.
Wiki is easier because everyone can contribute.
You could not edit the actual draft wiki page? from above?
subs5 wrote:Here is the proposed change..
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by subs5
To Voludu2's version of the draft:
1 Removed the references to 183 days for max duration of a single RTC.
2 Reworded the duration is no longer limited to indicate end date for parallism with start date and moved it up from the end of the list to a more appropriate location.
3 Removed the reference that it had to be within a year of the current date.
4 Added that the start date has to be within 1 year of the current date.
5 Changed the one section to Node closure - cross traffic from Cross traffic - node closure. Reason is the actual item in WME is a node closure it affects cross traffic (or turning corner if closures are an L shape). So using the actual element as the start.
6 Recommend deleting the Illustrations and examples since node closures take care of both the Parade example and the Divided road closed for construction example. Basically these are overcome by events (pun intended if you use a MTE :D)
7 Do we want to remove the older Waze staff slide show since it does not include Node closures and shows the ole way of closing adjacent segments to prevent the crosss traffic?
8 Recommend updating the CCP page since now called Waze for Cities
9 Changed the Table's TBSR and TBTR vehicles affected from "Some" to "Some/All" since they can be some or all.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by subs5
Should the section about Closing multiple segments be removed since that bug has been fixed?
Fixed a typo on an extra s if it is left.

Also the Usernames and closures
Recommend changing Adding to "Adding/deleting/modifying" for when your change goes to the segment history. and at the end Closures that expire based on the time set do not appear in the segment's history for deletion."
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message