The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Time Based Turn Restrictions

Post by CBenson
Wazes inability to handle time based turn restrictions combined with the inability to see who is making edits to turn restrictions has made waze's routing in downtown Washington DC bordering on useless.
Although these problems are not new, what has changed is the number of editors. With numerous editors, the turn restrictions are changed back and forth in what appears to me to essentially be a random pattern. Thus, I have no idea from one map update to the next what waze's routing is taking into account.
Waze's inability to handle time based restrictions means that sometimes waze's routes are going to be non-optimal. I could deal with the non-optimal routes when I knew what data they were based on. But now as soon as I learn what data the routing is based on, the data changes.
Even if we were to agree that all restrictions that are in effect for more than say 3 hours a day should be restricted on the waze map, there is no way to determine which editors are the nonconformists and need to be educated.
Is there any way to mitigate this problem? Or do we simply have to wait for waze to provide additional tools?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:1005502

Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
cristianfraser wrote:
james_8970 wrote:I restrict any time based time turn restrictions as the app will more frequently be used during rush hour when the turn restriction will be relevant. I don't think we should be forced to do this however.
The problem with this, at least in my city, is that reversible roads take totally opposite directions during the morning rush hour and evening rush hour... A street that is normally both-ways, is, for example, only north in the morning, and only south in the evening... so it's not really useful.
According to cryptic info we've received from Waze before, that the feature set allowing time-based turn restrictions would also be used for time-based directionality in the routing. Time to implementation: unknown. Guestimate: mid-2013.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by boutiette
What is the consensus on this? I have a road that cannot be turned onto from 8:30-4:00 on weekdays (school zone). It's been reported by a user. Should I restrict it?
boutiette
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Good point. I'm rather anti-lock, so didn't really think about that solution. Not sure I'm up to locking all of downtown DC.
I much prefer monitoring to locking, but as you can't monitor changes to turn restrictions, locking may be the only real helpful tool at this point.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I've been adding landmarks. But turn restrictions still toggle back and forth where there are landmarks.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
jasonh300 wrote:Those landmarks should be locked by a CM to prevent accidental deletion. Nobody is likely to respond to an unlock request for those little landmarks, and no other CM is likely to delete them and there's also a possibility that the CM who's responding to unlock requests will see the landmark before unlocking the junction.
I strongly disagree with this. Although, deletion is a problem, I see the purpose of these landmarks as the way for editors to be able to communicate on this issue. In addition to the waze problems on this issue, there are plenty of DC problems. Back when we could make contact with UR reporters, I had a couple of conversations with users where we interpreted the signs at intersections that we both drove through daily differently. This conversation is key. I want editors to be able to change the info in the landmark (particularly if we start locking down the streets). At least that way I can see who is editing the landmarks and make contact. Note also I am unaware of any CMs who routinely edit in DC and see no reason why these landmarks should be maintained only by outsiders.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
james_8970 wrote:I restrict any time based time turn restrictions as the app will more frequently be used during rush hour when the turn restriction will be relevant. I don't think we should be forced to do this however.
This is exactly the position I used to take. However, the problem is that if we are not all making similar decisions, then you have different people switching the same turn from restricted to unrestricted from one map update to the next.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I thought maybe you had made CM. Congratulations also on the opening of the express lane on 495. I think I have only seen one waze complaint about the new lanes.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:According to cryptic info we've received from Waze before, that the feature set allowing time-based turn restrictions would also be used for time-based directionality in the routing. Time to implementation: unknown. Guestimate: mid-2013.
Right, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not convinced that reversible roads and time based turn restriction should be lumped together, if we're not going to get time based restrictions soon. It does make sense that one we have time based turn restrictions, we can handle reversible roads. However, time based restrictions are not required to handle reversible roads. Waze simply needs to force segment speed data to zero for a direction for a certain time period to handle reversible roads. Support for reversing roads should not be difficult to implement.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by cristianfraser
The problem with this, at least in my city, is that reversible roads take totally opposite directions during the morning rush hour and evening rush hour... A street that is normally both-ways, is, for example, only north in the morning, and only south in the evening... so it's not really useful.
cristianfraser
Send a message