Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Map Suggestions - A glimpse into the future

Post by
Hi All, 

We are very excited to share that we are working on a new feature that will give editors super powers that will help impact the quality and accuracy of the Waze Map even more. We can't wait to begin testing this new feature over the coming months to get your feedback on what works and what doesn't.

The new Map Suggestions will provide data on possibly missing segments - and potentially in the future, also misaligned ones. 

In the first stage the only source of the suggestions will be Google Maps. 

The Map suggestions will be added to the Issue Tracker once rolled out to WME. We will create a new type of map issue together with map problems, URs and PURs.
map suggest.png

Once the layer is enabled and based on the road type chosen, the missing roads will be surfaced on the map and easily selectable in the issue tracker.

A mechanism will pre-filter suggestions coming in, avoiding spam, and making sure only the most relevant information will be presented to editors for review. An example is that we will be filtering out off-roads, private roads and less relevant types at the beginning to let you focus on the highest impact roads, but we are planning to add them in a later stage.
Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 13.00.22.png
Those are mockups and subject to change.

Editors will be able to easily approve or reject suggestions. In case of rejection, editors will also provide rejection reasons and this will start a feedback loop with Google Data Operations agents helping them understand the reason for the rejection. Agents will treat suggestions coming from Waze Editors with the highest priority.
mapSugg-UR.png

Google agents will also apply changes to their map data, based on editors feedback, giving you the possibility to reach and impact even more users.

We believe this new feature will unlock unlimited potential for editors! This will allow you to reach the highest level of map accuracy and freshness as we can reveal newly discovered roads with quick arbitration capability to the community.

We would like to use this occasion to thank our awesome Global Champs that helped us by providing invaluable feedback.

This is only a first glimpse at this new feature and we'll be sharing a lot more details over the coming weeks (i.e. how the data is filtered, how it's surfaced, what happens if you accept/reject etc.).

We are looking forward to starting the rollout of this new capability in WME, receiving your feedback and working together to make the Waze map the best map in the world.

Ruben, on behalf of the Waze Map Squad

POSTER_ID:17527666

Send a message

Post by Inactive user -1673857766-
In the MegaMeetup questions I asked if there are plans for further Waze/Google integration. So this sounds good to me and I look forward to seeing how it will be implemented. Failing to take advantage of the strengths of both Waze and Google Maps is shortsighted and foolish. For several months Google Maps has been approving my edit requests faster than ever before and I view that as a good sign. Recently Waze URs in NC identified two new neighborhoods that were missing from both Waze and Google Maps so both benefitted.

Part of this problem rests with out-of-date satellite imagery. When county GIS maps are showing parcels, GPS tracks are showing traffic and URs are reporting Missing Roads but the only satellite imagery WME has shows only forests or farmland, we don't have the tools we need. It's especially sad when another map that depends on donations has newer imagery. 

Another significant issue remains with some Google address points being prioritized over Waze HNs or even RPPs. This issue must be resolved ASAP because Waze looks bad even though it is not responsible for the problem. 

This new initiative has potential but how well the cooperation works remains to be seen. 

Inactive user -1673857766-
Send a message
Last edited by Inactive user -1673857766- on Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by asterix06
At the moment I prefer not to make any comments : google did exactly the same trial in Italy in a small area in 2014 .
They wanted to import in Waze Map too many segments that weren’t normally edited in Waze like streets inside private houses and so on .

I hope this time Google will use a little bit “more brain “ in suggesting missed segments !
Ruben what about 
- segments still present in Waze but no more existing in reality?
- new segments already available in Waze map but not in GMaps

I hope , sorry to say , such an action it will not be a Google imposition as it was in the past

I am not against that ,but in a country like Italy GMaps has any value to add to Waze Map

On Top in several cases , due to the fact that Waze use GMaps DB and not Waze one for search, the address showed on the search doesn’t correspond to the real coordinates of the locations .
An example : some vaccination Center in search was having right address ….but clicking on it Waze was driving the users …5 kms far away .

in these case the vaccination Center address was 
was caming  only from GMaps database .

So, is it correct to import segments that we do not know if they are correctly geo localized into the data base of origin?

In may opinion this trial to import segments/road “could” be good in countries were we have few editors and not a “mature “ ….but for many other countries where map is “mature” and almost daily updated ..I could not see a great improvement .

Best
Silvio 

asterix06
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4L_o ... _small.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/gc.png
Iphone8+ Waze 4.43.0
Coordinator Waze Italy
Country Administrator Italy, CM China , CM Africa, Iran, Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Turchia.
Forum Administrator

Post by asterix06
Hi Ruben,
in your original post you wrote :

"......This will allow you to reach the highest level of map accuracy and freshness as we can reveal newly discovered roads..... "

to whom could we ask data about accuracy an freshness of our maps?

Silvio
asterix06
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4L_o ... _small.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/gc.png
Iphone8+ Waze 4.43.0
Coordinator Waze Italy
Country Administrator Italy, CM China , CM Africa, Iran, Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Turchia.
Forum Administrator

asterix06
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Iphone8+ Waze 4.43.0
Coordinator Waze Italy
Forum Administrator

Post by CleitonCasarotto
Perhaps  a "Map sugestion" based not only on Gmaps, but also on GPS tracks where there are no close segments would be nice.
CleitonCasarotto
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Como categorizar e nomear vias
Manual de edição
As Melhores Praticas de Edição

"Quem se coloca acima dos outros, perde a chance de aprender com eles."

Post by jm6087
MysteriouslyMythical wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:51 pm
Another suggestion of mine would be to somehow get a source from Google.  Essentially, make the map suggestions have a little link, which opens a new tab to 
A (preferred) - wherever Google maps got the road information from
B - Just the Google maps.

This will overall help us solve these issues quickly, and also make sure to verify the information. 

However, suggestion would require the help and participation of Google.

I believe that the source data is basically from Google Maps.  This feature will put a layer on the map where the road is thought to be in Google.   You can use the Google link in WME to open up Google Maps to the same location if you want to.  Plus there is Sat View.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
Just to clarify for anyone reading the thread,  This is not an import of segments.  These will be map suggestions that can be reviewed and accepted or rejected as needed.  Nothing goes onto the map without editor approval. 
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jmbox
CleitonCasarotto wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:43 am Perhaps  a "Map sugestion" based not only on Gmaps, but also on GPS tracks where there are no close segments would be nice.

I'm not sure GPS is a good idea. If you turn on the GPS layer, you see many straight tracks that do not correspond with any road, like someone was using it in a helicopter or plane.

Map Suggestions sounds like a great idea if it works well. WME to become the new Google Map Maker?
jmbox
Send a message

Post by kstor_80
I hope this will appear in a specific layer that can be disabled. Because in some regions forgotten by GMap, but with an active waze community, Waze map is by far more accurate than GMap. 

and what about sharing the traffic data (not the alert, but the actual segment average speeds…) having both together would add a lot of accuracy for ETA calculation.
kstor_80
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by kumiankka
Vespucci41 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:04 am A mechanism will pre-filter suggestions coming in, avoiding spam, and making sure only the most relevant information will be presented to editors for review. An example is that we will be filtering out off-roads, private roads and less relevant types at the beginning to let you focus on the highest impact roads, but we are planning to add them in a later stage.Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 13.00.22.pngThose are mockups and subject to change.

Here in Finland a large majority of the missing roads consist of small and unpaved yet driveable roads in the rural areas of the country. So, the filtering them out might actually do more harm than good.

kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Answers: 1
Send a message