Forum for requesting any unlocks, closures or fixes by a higher rank editor.
Please read "Posting Guidelines" before submitting your request.

[L5+] M4 J20 Westbound

Post by BeRoWaz

Can we have a level 5 or above check out M4 Junction 20 westbound for traffic staying on the M4, it is giving instructions either to Keep Right or Keep Straight when joining the M4 way back at Chiswick. Looking at the map, it seems the M5 North gets a relatively straight line through the junction, whereas the M4 has a dog leg to the right. This may be impacting the instruction Waze is giving drivers.
M4-J20.jpg
(501.82 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
 Eastbound doesn't have the same problem, the M4 shows relatively straight through the junction, and other junctions such as the M25 junction also don't have the problem, again the M4 shows relatively straight through those junctions too.

I would think the M4 through J20 should be mapped like any other junction, with the M4 going relatively straight, and the M5 being a dog leg, so drivers staying on the M4 get the lane control through junction only with no audio since they are staying on the motorway, and those changing to M5/A38 get a "turn left onto M5" message, like any other instruction when changing motorway. The junction already has lane control guidance (although it shows 5-lanes that is there on top of the junction only, and not when the lane control first appears, which itself may confuse some drivers, who think "I have 3/4 lanes, why is it showing 5 lanes on waze, that must be a mapping error, and flag it as such.)

As with all mapping in WME less is more, I think this junction's mapping has been over-engineered, which is making it complicated to maintain. I note this junction has been posted before, viewtopic.php?p=2001680 and also see the M5 slip road has one way roads to nowhere on the sliproad.
one-way-nowhere.jpg
(92.07 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

BeRoWaz
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:16881395

Send a message

Post by BeRoWaz
Marking as solved, travelling on the M4 westbound this junction now behaves as expected. Thanks to all involved in looking at this junction.
BeRoWaz
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
You raise some valid points. As often, there is no “right” answer, just a series of compromises.

1) the junction has been deliberately configured so that drivers staying on the M4 get an audible instruction to stay on it. As you have noticed, this has the effect that when joining the M4 in London with the intention of going all the way to South Wales, you drive across England with an instruction displayed to keep right at this junction rather than exit at your Welsh junction.

The rational for this is that only 2 of the 5 lanes continue on the M4, and it would be easy for someone doodling along in a left lane to get onto the M5 by mistake. This is achieved by the lane guidance specifying “view and hear” for continuing straight on the M4, rather than “view only”.

My personal preference would be to change to “view only”, which would cause you Welsh exit to be displayed for most of the journey, with a display (but no audio) indicating taking the right 2 lanes for a short distance (1 mile?) before this junction. I’ll ask other senior editors for a vote on whether they think this would be better.

As an aside, if we do stick with “view & hear”, I think the display should be amended to show the junction number - 20.

2) the lane guidance shows 5 lanes but first appears when there are only 4 lanes.
Unfortunately the lane guidance appears a set distance before the junction, and we have no control over it. There are five lanes for quite a while before the junction, so I think it is better for lane guidance to show 5 lanes. I agree it would be better to show four for a while and then five, but I don’t think we can achieve this (without introducing a fake extra junction, which certainly would be over-engineering).

3) It is very clear from the signage that you should use different lanes leaving the M4 depending on which direction you are going on the M5. However the final split between the M5 directions is well after leaving the M4. This creates the risk that a slow and careful driver (if any such use Waze :) ) heading for Gloucester might correctly leave the M4 in lane 3, and then move into the “slow lane” before the M5 ramps diverge, thus getting on the M5 in the wrong direction.

The “roads to nowhere” which you highlight allow Waze to give the “lane 3 of 5” instruction on leaving the M4, and then a separate “lane 3 of 3” instruction where the M5 ramps split.

In summary, I’m inclined to agree that it would be better not to have an audible warning for drivers staying on the M4, but otherwise I think it’s mapped as well as Waze tools permit.

I’ll try and get some other senior editors to reply too.

Ian

ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 5
Send a message

Post by Kevintiobraid
I've responded to BeRoWaz on the UR near here, and advised to post in the forum for views other than mine, hence this thread.  So my two pence is similar to your point no. 1 ditchi, but I would be inclined to leave it as View and Hear, instead of View Only.   Its more than just a single lane drop here, its a major intersection of motorways.....I would be grateful for a voice instruction here as well as visual if I was unfamiliar with the layout.

Kevintiobraid
Area Manager
Area Manager
Answers: 3
Send a message
Kevin
https://s.waze.tools/s0300.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/c5.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/p1000.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/betc.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/beta.png

AM for South Tipperary, Waterford, South Kilkenny, Derby, Nottingham, Lincoln, Swansea, Cardiff, Bristol, Bath, London
Pixel 7