Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

The Hi, Welcome and Introduction space!

Post by
It has just occurred to me that we do not have anywhere for the new editor, or even an existing one, to introduce themselves to the community.

We want to grow the UK editing community and it is important that we all feel part of the same team and both work well together and also get to know each other. While we have the annual meetup, which some of you will have attended, and this is a great way to meet your fellow editors and have a chance to chat in person, we also need to have a space to introduce ourselves and get to know a bit about each other. 

Here is that space!

That said, I thought I would kick this off with a bit about me.

For those who do not know me, my name (unsurprisingly) is Ian and I live in the bottom eastern corner of Essex. I retired from working in R&D for a medical equipment manufacturer 8 years ago and shortly after that found Waze.  I have now been editing almost daily since then. After far more hours working on Waze than I care to try and work out I have reached a fairly senior position within the editing community, with still a lot to learn. The more you get involved, the more you find there is in map editing with Waze.
I am also the UK Mentor, trying to help and encourage all new and potential users of Waze to get involved in the editing and hopefully join and become a regular part of  the editing community.

Now over to you, any new or existing editor who would like to introduce yourself, go for it.

POSTER_ID:17146523

Send a message

Post by 941da94eb1b74ae997a5006e6e924d2b
Good Morning all from Brighton!

I'm a paramedic and a locum dispenser by trade, so my job is kinda exciting at the moment, if the news is to be believed!
Does mean I get around a fair bit, I actually end up driving around most of Kent as well! I've also been to most hospitals in the South East.
They are ALL mazes to get around. 

However, I do have to remind myself that my civvy car doesn't have blue lights, I have to wait at red lights, and people won't just let me pass, although on that last point, if you can push a Fiat to get over 100mph, you must be going downhill, a good tailwind, and someone has gotten out and is pushing, honestly, ambulances are not as fast as people think they are!

I'm unfortunately affected by the edit bug, so I'm holding out for a while before I can get to detailing the map out a bit more, there's quite a bit that I've spotted already just in my regular stomping grounds that could do with amending!
941da94eb1b74ae997a5006e6e924d2b
Send a message

Post by andrewinlancashire
My name's Andrew and I'm an alcoho... Wrong group? Oh!

Ahem!

My names Andrew. I've been editing since 2016 under the name PastaFasta but after having a lengthy break I thought I'd change my username to something more UR friendly. This seems like the right place to say hello again. Hello.

My job has taken me all over the country, some years racking up 40,000 miles (on top of 10 hours a day on site :cry: ). Waze has been an invaluable tool when travelling - it's certainly saved me from getting caught out on many occasion. In 2016 I realised I could give a bit back by fixing some of the issues I'd found (or issues we'd created in the real world by closing or changing road layouts  :roll: ). I edited my way up to Area Manager, which was not something I had set out to become but you soon realise L1 is quite restrictive.

The break from editing was due to Covid. I caught Covid officially in December 2020 (unofficially in December 2019) and since then it's been a bit of a battle. My health has deteriorated significantly and I've been off work since (give or take the odd failed return to work). I got back into editing as I thought it might give me something to focus on, improve my concentration span and alleviate the boredom - I'd forgotten how addictive it can be.

andrewinlancashire
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by ArcticAsh
Thought I might as well chime in here too!

I've been making small changes and updating place information for a while now but I'm new to the forum so thought I would make this my first post!

I tend to have Waze open pretty much any time I am in the car since I downloaded it (many moons ago) so figured that contributing to the map, keeping things up to date and adding places would be my way of giving back to the developers and community!

I live in Warwickshire and have made a fair few small changes where all these new roundabouts and housing developments keep popping up and moving the roads about!
ArcticAsh
Send a message
Ash
Wanabe Map Editor & iOS Beta Tester
https://s.waze.tools/betc.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/c1.png

Post by atmtrujillo
Hi,

Nice to forum-meet you all.

I'm Alex and I live in Staplehurst, Kent.

I've been doing software development for 18 years and I'm currently working as an Engineering Manager for a well-known food delivery company. My development team is dedicated to providing location capabilities within the company, so I'm quite passionate about polygons, postcodes, and geospatial coordinates.  :)

I used to use Waze on my way to work every morning, but I've been working from home since the start of the pandemic, so I don't drive as much these days.

I'll be moving to a new state within our village and decided to add the new roads and be more active with map editing to help everyone around my area.

Thanks for accepting my request to join the forum.

atmtrujillo
Send a message
Regards,
Alex

Post by Craig24x7
Hi,

My name's Craig and I live on the outskirts of Bognor Regis (that place with Butlins).

I'm a driver for the county council's SEN school transport team. I spend every day of the week travelling around various parts of West Sussex, whether that be the scenic windy roads and hills, big towns or rural villages. I drive around 100-150 miles per day, so I like to think I have a good idea of what's going on near me.

Although I've only been editing for a few months, I've really enjoyed making improvements to my local area and I'm keen to continue to do as much as I can to help out. I recently became an area manager for Bognor Regis, Littlehampton and Chichester, and even more recently added on the Goodwood estate in order to allow for more precise road closures.

Craig24x7
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by Crewealexx
Hi All

I am Alex, based in Shropshire 

Very new to the to map editing but have been using the Waze App for many years

I travel the UK for work, using the Waze App to guide me for 6+ years and decided it's about time i give something back to Waze

Hoping to learn the ropes of WME quickly but please pop up and point me in the right direction if you spot any mistakes

Thankyou 
Crewealexx
Send a message

Post by DataGremlin
Afternoon All,

After being a user from 2017 I am thinking now having time to being  a Waze editor. I have added a few businesses and also updated a few roads. I would like to work my was to being a level I can update carparks and also add pre planned road closures. 
DataGremlin
Send a message
Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.....

Post by Foxyroadie
Hi all,

I'm Helen, living near Stansted Mountfitchet and commuting daily to Cambridge.  I used to be an AM for Sandridge and St Albans when I first got into editing Waze in about 2011/2012 but am keen to get back into helping out if I can :) 

My username of Foxyroadie is purely a reflection of my lovely smart car (called Foxy) of which I'm very proud, and absolutely no comment whatsoever on me personally  :D

Foxyroadie
Send a message
smart car nut and co-editor of a helpful online guide to smarts!

Post by Foxyroadie
Ianinesse wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:17 pm 

And NO, you can't advertise here, but I will let you off just this once as long as you get back into editing.  8-)

Sounds like a fair deal  :D

I have NO doubt a lot has changed but I used to have really good fun doing this back in the day (yep, painfully aware of how old that makes me sound) 

Time to roll the old sleeves up and get reading  8-)  

(on my way to change my sig - again :P)

Foxyroadie
Send a message
smart car nut and co-editor of a helpful online guide to smarts!

Post by gareth71
I'm not Ian, and I'm from North East Wales. I've been using Waze off and on for a few years, although I only seriously got into editing while I was doing some driving work during the summer of 2020 (when the country isn't in the grip of a pandemic, I work in the events industry).

Work tends to take me to many places throughout the country so I'm always finding thing to edit - but I'm currently area manager in Waze for NE Wales (Flintshire, Denbighshire, Wrexham, parts of Conwy), the Wirral, West Cheshire and down into North Shropshire as far as Oswestry.

gareth71
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message