No thoroughfare street in Studio City, CA

Post by JessicaStudio
Waze has been directing morning commuter traffic onto my residential block that is restricted with signage that it is not a thoroughfare between 7-10am. We live on Greenleaf Street in Studio City, California 91604 between Valley Vista Blvd and Van Noord Ave.  

The street is narrow (with room for one vehicle) and residents cannot get out of their driveways for over an hour in the morning because of the congestion Waze is causing by directing commuters through a restricted residential road. I called a business vehicle that was blocking our driveway for over 7 minutes this morning and they stated that Waze directed them onto our street. I attached a Google maps photo of our street this morning that was so congested that even Google Maps registered the street as red. I also took video of this morning showing how we could not exit our driveway or access our street. 

This started and has worsened over the last few weeks and I have spoken to law enforcement and they have been ticketing vehicles in the mornings for using our restricted road. 

Please let me know what Waze will do to address misguiding cars onto a restricted road and causing lack of street access for residents? 
WazeCongestion.jpg
(306.7 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

JessicaStudio

POSTER_ID:18187041

Send a message

Post by JessicaStudio
There are no circumstances by which non-residents should be routed through Greenleaf street during commuting hours. Greenleaf street is a narrow street that does not allow street parking on both sides of the street. When Waze routes non-residents through in the morning, it turns the street into a stop and go bottlenecked street and converts Greenleaf street into a one way street (which it is not). Not only are residents not able to exit our driveways without waiting for several minutes, but we cannot travel on Greenleaf street in the westbound direction towards Valley Vista Blvd because the congestion has blocked that ability. Residents should not be forced into a one way bottleneck that takes over 10 minutes to exit our street because Waze's algorithm thinks it's a short cut onto Coldwater Canyon Ave rather than keeping drivers on Ventura Blvd, where they should be.  It is also not a successful short cut and takes longer due to severe congestion. Local law enforcement is reaching out to Department of Transportation for increased signage and has been ticketing vehicles over the last week and will return on Thursday this week. 
JessicaStudio
Send a message

Post by JessicaStudio
There are no circumstances by which non-residents should be routed through Greenleaf street during commuting hours. Greenleaf street is a narrow street that does not allow street parking on both sides of the street. When Waze routes non-residents through in the morning, it turns the street into a stop and go bottlenecked street and converts Greenleaf street into a one way street (which it is not). Not only are residents not able to exit our driveways without waiting for several minutes, but we cannot travel on Greenleaf street in the westbound direction towards Valley Vista Blvd because the congestion has blocked that ability. Residents should not be forced into a one way bottleneck that takes over 10 minutes to exit our street because Waze's algorithm thinks it's a short cut onto Coldwater Canyon Ave rather than keeping drivers on Ventura Blvd, where they should be.  It is also not a successful short cut and takes longer due to severe congestion. Local law enforcement is reaching out to Department of Transportation for increased signage and has been ticketing vehicles over the last week and will return on Thursday this week. 
JessicaStudio
Send a message

Post by JessicaStudio
Hello, Please resolve this map issue and stop directing commuter traffic through our narrow residential street during commuting hours. I spoke with neighbors across the street yesterday who are equally distressed. Would you like all of my neighbors to create a signed request to stop directing commuter traffic through our narrow street due to severe congestion? It's unsafe for residents to not be able to leave their homes due to unnecessary (and illegal) commuter traffic. I attached screenshots of the google maps and of our street this morning with completely blocked off traffic that does not allow residents to leave our driveways or neighborhood. 
IMG_3698.jpg
(316.24 KiB) Downloaded 40 times

IMG_3699.jpg
(1.95 MiB) Downloaded 40 times

JessicaStudio
Send a message

Post by JessicaStudio
Hello, Please resolve this map issue and stop directing commuter traffic through our narrow residential street during commuting hours. I spoke with neighbors across the street yesterday who are equally distressed. Would you like all of my neighbors to create a signed request to stop directing commuter traffic through our narrow street due to severe congestion? It's unsafe for residents to not be able to leave their homes due to unnecessary (and illegal) commuter traffic. I attached screenshots of the google maps and of our street this morning with completely blocked off traffic that does not allow residents to leave our driveways or neighborhood. 
IMG_3698.jpg
(316.24 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

IMG_3699.jpg
(1.95 MiB) Downloaded 41 times

JessicaStudio
Send a message

Post by JessicaStudio
We are working with law enforcement and the department of public transportation. There will be PD here tomorrow morning. I spoke with the driver of a truck who blocked my driveway for over 5 minutes and he stated that Waze routed him through our street. Last week, another business vehicle's driver also specifically blamed Waze for why they drove on Greenleaf St. Please visit this stretch of Dickens Street and Greenleaf street and compare, Dickens street is at least 3 times wider and residents are still able to exit their driveways and travel westbound to Valley Vista when it is congested. That is why Dickens does not have thoroughfare restrictions, while Greenleaf St. does. This issue started only a few weeks ago, which is confirmed by residents who have lived on this block for years to decades. Please update the Waze map and do not direct commuter traffic through our narrow street that becomes a one way dead end due to severe congestion. 

JessicaStudio
Send a message

Post by JessicaStudio
Drivers can legally turn right onto Greenleaf from Valley Vista (for now), but they are also coming from Ventura Blvd and illegally turning left. Waze's maps should consider safety and livability concerns for local residents when they offer alternate routes through residential neighborhoods masked under the verbiage of "cleverness". In actuality, all of those non-residents are sitting stuck on either Greenleaf St or on Dickens, when they eventually make it there there after sitting stuck on our block for 10 minutes. I know this because I have videos of cars and trucks sitting stuck in front of my driveway. Would you like to see these videos? 

Why don't you set a specific filter for 7-830am? There is no way these drivers are gaining a second in their ETA by traveling this way. Instead, they are likely adding 5-10 minutes of travel time. Frankly, I am sure there are means by which Waze could filter out Dickens St and Greenleaf St. as alternate routes (regardless of where a driver is coming from) between 7-10am.

It's easy to blame other navigation apps, yet Waze is notoriously the exclusive navigation app that takes advantage of residential neighborhoods for "short cuts". I know because I used to use Waze religiously through Los Angeles and I can't count the number of times I was taken through neighborhoods only to get stuck at impossible left turns with no street lights across major streets like Wilshire Blvd, rather than being directed to travel on a main road. Google maps never routes through Dickens or Greenleaf so clearly, there are ways to make sure navigation systems do not abuse residential roads and cause severe congestion. 

JessicaStudio
Send a message

Post by JessicaStudio
I appreciate you making changes to better capture accurate data. Now what other changes can be made?

In response to you saying there is "no way to filter out" routes via Greenleaf without effecting residents, I am skeptical. You would not effect residents by filtering these options out if we are already either in the neighborhood and seeking to leave to a different destination or if we are seeking to return home and set this location as our destination. It's not as if a resident is going to get lost in that final home stretch of one block. I am suggesting that there must be a way to filter out the usage of Greenleaf street as a through street for an alternate route for non resident drivers looking to find short cuts onto Coldwater Canyon.

How do we actually speak to Waze employees? Is Waze just another form of Wikipedia? Crowdsourced and run by norms of volunteer editors? There must be more leverage and forum for safety concerns than that.

JessicaStudio
Send a message

Post by turbomkt
Waze has the left turn from Valley Vista onto Greenleaf and Dickens restricted (7-10am) to match signs.  Waze should not route through that restriction.  It should also avoid the street due to the congestion you are reporting.
turbomkt
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 19
Send a message
--Mike
RC for Northwest Region (NWR Discord)
ARC for Southwest Region (SWR Discord)

Post by turbomkt
Thanks.  The same user posted here.  Waze already has the restrictions in place to match signs.  
turbomkt
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 19
Send a message
--Mike
RC for Northwest Region (NWR Discord)
ARC for Southwest Region (SWR Discord)