The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Update about the removal of Permanent hazards for pedestrian crossing

Post by Darya-Staff
Hi Editors,

We've wanted to let you know that we’ve deprioritized the mapping and display of Permanent Hazards for pedestrian crossing at this time. This allows us to concentrate on other functionalities that deliver the most value to our users.

Thus, they will be removed from the dropdown menu in WME shortly.

We understand that some users might have found these types of hazards helpful, and we appreciate your understanding. 

In the meantime, if you have any questions or feedback about this change, please don't hesitate to share it here. 

Thank you!
Darya  

Darya-Staff
Waze Team
Waze Team

POSTER_ID:17636880

Send a message

Post by bedo2991
I personally find it very easy to understand why: they will get mapped everywhere (and, depending on the country, they can be a lot), and the users at the current state can't switch them off (they can only toggle all permanents hazards at once) or display them without an audio prompt.

Add that Waze at the moment can't show more than one alert at once, it will be a mess.

A nice thing would be maybe to let us map them on the WME, and then release them (faster, as you already have the data available) only when the client has all the other nice features available.
bedo2991
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by Darya-Staff
kstor_80 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:09 am @Darya-Staff just to know: WHY???? Why is it different from other PH... It should have exactly the same behaviour as Speed Bump. And if I of course it is not made to be used in urban area where there are hundreds of them, it's really needed in some remote rural area where a small village with one pedestrian crossing appears in the middle of nowhere along an highway.

I really don't see the difficulty here. It's just a other icon (which was already made) and another alert (which should work exactly as the speed bump). For me it looks like it's more work to remove it than just to implement it the same way as SB.

Hi Kstor_80,
Thanks for reaching out! We're constantly evaluating how to prioritize features that will deliver the most value to our users. We've made the decision to focus our resources on other areas that will have a broader impact on the community.

As you mentioned in the WME beta community, we're currently working on improvements to surfacing information within the app, along with implementing school zones and a scheduling feature. We believe these functionalities will be more impactful for a wider range of users. Such as school zones, the scheduler and new camera types.

We appreciate your understanding! 

In the meantime, if you have any other questions or suggestions, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Thank you!
Darya

Darya-Staff
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by Darya-Staff
nzahn1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:13 pm If this is really about prioritizing features, I would have guessed that Pedestrian crossing would have been higher than some of the other PH that were created, deployed, then recalled. 

In the US, it was our intent to mark pedestrian crossing where they are unexpected. For example, mid-block crossings away from intersections, which are unusual. Or where major hiker/biker trails cross roads, and drivers need to watch out for not only pedestrians but other kinds of unexpected road users like bike riders and scooter riders. 

IMO, this is a poor decision, since this type of PH was already built out, and seemingly ready to go, including the drawing of UI elements. Perhaps it’s not really about prioritizing features, but some other reason?

Hi Nzahn1,

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. We understand your perspective that these crossings could be valuable, particularly in unexpected locations.

While we appreciate the effort invested in developing PH for pedestrian crossings, after careful consideration, we've decided not to implement them at this time. As we already mentioned, our focus is currently on features that will deliver the most value to a wider range of users.

We hear your concerns and will definitely forward your feedback to the team for their consideration in future development plans.

Regards,
Darya

Darya-Staff
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by Darya-Staff
turbomkt wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:49 pm
Darya-Staff wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:24 am
nzahn1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:13 pm If this is really about prioritizing features, I would have guessed that Pedestrian crossing would have been higher than some of the other PH that were created, deployed, then recalled. 

In the US, it was our intent to mark pedestrian crossing where they are unexpected. For example, mid-block crossings away from intersections, which are unusual. Or where major hiker/biker trails cross roads, and drivers need to watch out for not only pedestrians but other kinds of unexpected road users like bike riders and scooter riders. 

IMO, this is a poor decision, since this type of PH was already built out, and seemingly ready to go, including the drawing of UI elements. Perhaps it’s not really about prioritizing features, but some other reason?

Hi Nzahn1,

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. We understand your perspective that these crossings could be valuable, particularly in unexpected locations.

While we appreciate the effort invested in developing PH for pedestrian crossings, after careful consideration, we've decided not to implement them at this time. As we already mentioned, our focus is currently on features that will deliver the most value to a wider range of users.

We hear your concerns and will definitely forward your feedback to the team for their consideration in future development plans.

Regards,
Darya

Darya,
I think the big question on our end is why this is more complex than speed bumps or toll booths.  How is this any different than changing the name and the alert?  It seems like low hanging fruit rather than a complex problem to solve.

Hi Turbomkt,

I've forwarded your feedback and questions to the team. I'm actively seeking more information about the rationale behind this decision and will circle back to you as soon as I have something to share.

Thank you!
Darya
Darya-Staff
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by kstor_80
@Darya-Staff just to know: WHY???? Why is it different from other PH... It should have exactly the same behaviour as Speed Bump. And if I of course it is not made to be used in urban area where there are hundreds of them, it's really needed in some remote rural area where a small village with one pedestrian crossing appears in the middle of nowhere along an highway.

I really don't see the difficulty here. It's just a other icon (which was already made) and another alert (which should work exactly as the speed bump). For me it looks like it's more work to remove it than just to implement it the same way as SB.
kstor_80
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter

Post by nzahn1
If this is really about prioritizing features, I would have guessed that Pedestrian crossing would have been higher than some of the other PH that were created, deployed, then recalled. 

nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter

Post by turbomkt
Darya-Staff wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:24 am

Hi Nzahn1,

Regards,
Darya

Darya,
I think the big question on our end is why this is more complex than speed bumps or toll booths.  How is this any different than changing the name and the alert?  It seems like low hanging fruit rather than a complex problem to solve.
turbomkt
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 19
Send a message
--Mike
RC for Northwest Region (NWR Discord)
ARC for Southwest Region (SWR Discord)