Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by qwaletee
I have a request to remove two closed gas stations at one corner. Any way to go about this right now?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 78&env=usa
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
dbraughlr wrote:
sketch wrote:Perhaps the list should be alphabetized using English.
That's what I meant when I requested case-blind collation (the technical term).
Props, fellow DBA/developer
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
I recall someone posting that if you leave the brand blank (not "Unbranded"), then the name you type is what will show in the gas function.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
Can we get this thread unpinned?
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by robc007
Here in Michigan, it is very common to find abandoned gas stations from the import. Is it best to delete them or to map out the fence line of where the gas station previously existed?
robc007
Send a message
Level 3 Traveler

Post by russblau
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Costco is not a brand and like many other non-brands in the list, IMO, should be removed.
How are you defining "brand"???

According to dictionary.com, the relevant definition is "kind, grade, or make, as indicated by a stamp, trademark, or the like: the best brand of coffee."

Also, there is a definition of "brand name":
1. a word, name, symbol, etc., especially one legally registered as a trademark, used by a manufacturer or merchant to identify its products distinctively from others of the same type and usually prominently displayed on its goods, in advertising, etc.
2. a product, line of products, or service bearing a widely known brand name.
By either of these definitions "Costco" is most definitely the brand of the gasoline sold at Costco stores. "Costco" is the trademark used to identify the product.
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by russblau
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Costco is a store name. I do not believe it owns any refineries. It purchases gas from another company. Kirkland is also a pseudo- brand name, IMO. They just buy someone else's stuff and put their name on it. Costco makes nothing. Except cash.
I don't dispute anything you say, but you're missing the point. A "brand" is a mark or name used to identify a product to prospective purchasers. In simple terms, it is whatever the sign above the gas pumps says. It has nothing to do with who makes what, only who is selling it. If the gas station says it is selling Costco Gas, then Costco is the brand of its gas. If a gas station says it is selling Acme Gas ("preferred by 4 out of 5 coyotes"), then that is its brand. Whether the company owns any refineries or tanker trucks is no more relevant than whether the crude oil came from Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, or Texas.
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by russblau
the1who, you're making this so much more complicated than it needs to be. The "brand" of the gasoline is whatever the seller says it is. If they misrepresent it, of course, they're acting illegally, but that's their problem, not ours. If the gas station says it is selling Phillips fuel, then the brand is "Phillips." If they say they are selling "Costco fuel," that is their brand; whether we think the real origin of the fuel is something different is completely unimportant.
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by russblau
Does anyone know how to get a station's address to appear in the "Gas" list? Here's the situation: a gas station landmark that was created as part of the initial US import got deleted by an editor when the station closed temporarily for renovations. (Wasn't me, and they shouldn't have done it, but they did.) Now the station is re-opened, and so I manually created a new landmark for the station, which is here. As you can see, the station address and city are both included in the landmark data. But, when I drove by and tapped "Menu | Gas", the station was listed without any address (third on the list below):
photo.PNG
(90.66 KiB) Downloaded 971 times
Is there anything we can do in the editor to make the address appear, or does this have to be done by Waze?
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by skapur1
russblau wrote:the1who, you're making this so much more complicated than it needs to be. The "brand" of the gasoline is whatever the seller says it is. If they misrepresent it, of course, they're acting illegally, but that's their problem, not ours. If the gas station says it is selling Phillips fuel, then the brand is "Phillips." If they say they are selling "Costco fuel," that is their brand; whether we think the real origin of the fuel is something different is completely unimportant.
New York state law places significant limits on franchise agreements that requires purchase of fuel from the franchise.

Read http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/LAWSS ... ARGET=VIEW

Section 3 states
3. Franchise provisions. Any provision of a franchise with a refiner
which prohibits a dealer, who either directly or through an affiliate
owns a service station including the tanks and pumps and who dedicates a
tank for sale of unbranded motor fuel, or a distributor from purchasing
or selling unbranded motor fuel from a person or firm other than the
refiner or limits the quantity of such unbranded motor fuel to be
purchased from another person or firm or any provision of a franchise
which directly or indirectly discourages a dealer or distributor from
purchasing or selling such unbranded motor fuels from another person or
firm, shall be null and void