Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by sketch
I guess this "import" (or whatever it is?) wasn't a one-time thing? What is the status of the link between Waze and this third-party provider?

They opened the new Costco about a month and a half ago, and I added the gas station manually, with (MEMBERS ONLY) in the name to prevent people from going there without knowing. A few days later, I did a gas search, and found another "Costco" in nearly the same location--except its location in the client is in another part of the parking lot.

I wanted to delete mine and move the "imported"/synced one to the right spot so we don't have two, but I can't find the new "Costco" in the editor at all.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-90.11 ... TT&env=usa

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/09/bavytaty.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/09/8yjesezu.jpg
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
As far as I understood it, Categories would have worked differently than gas station search—the latter would look for Waze gas stations and the former would, I don't know, search Google and Bing for "restaurant".

Also, I believe this was a problem before category search was gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
^ There have been intermittent problems with gas stations over the past couple weeks. (I don't know anything specific, only what I've observed and heard.) When it works, it works. When it doesn't, nothing shows up in gas search ("no search results" type error), and nothing shows up when you try to update gas prices ("no stations in range" type error). See the post above yours, for example—I know they've been reported in more detail on the forums, but apparently not in this thread.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: A beta editor could delete them now, but since that beta test landmark layer is not the production layer, I don't think there will be any effect on the app until the layer is moved to production when the new editor version is released.
I'm not entirely sure that's true at this point — a bunch of "river/stream" landmarks are changing from blue to grey as I route through the tiles they're on. (I'm also using the beta client, so maybe that's the issue, but that doesn't explain why they're blue before I route through them.)

That said, I tried to delete these in the beta editor, and I got save errors.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I think the Places transition changed something:

For a while, I used [blank] for the Brand for stations that weren't in the list because then the Name field was used in place of the Brand in the app.

It seems that Places broke this — now, the [blank] Brand stations are blank in the app too.

Either that, or it was changed between 3.7.7 and 3.7.8, but that seems less likely.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Brand is what shows in the client gas search list. That's it, far as I can tell. For all I know, the brand/name dichotomy is so we can label the landmark "Circle K" on the map, but when searching gas prices, we will see "Exxon", the relevant gas brand. Just a guess.

The problem with "Unbranded" is that it suggests a completely blank, generic gas station. "Unbranded" is an imperfect and improper substitute for "brand not in list". Used to be, like I said, we could substitute Name in for those stations that don't match a given brand. It's a necessary feature that needs to come back. If you're on a corner with Shell, Danny & Clyde's, and Quicky's Discount, if it shows "Shell", "Unbranded", and "Unbranded" (or blank), it's useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
As to cardlock stations, I don't see why not. We include Sam's Club and Costco members-only stations, after all. Perhaps the Brand should be updated to include (Members Only) by default.

As for "ARCO", is there a separate brand "Arco" somewhere? Because according to Wikipedia, the stations are branded "ARCO" in all caps. The station names in the Name field were imported in all caps, yes, but the list of Brands has always been mixed-case. I see only "ARCO" in the Brand list.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Thanks, I see it now. Perhaps the list should be alphabetized using English. And also perhaps "Arco" should be removed. I don't know how receptive staff is to such changes.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
jdeyoung wrote:I saw no response for this, and have also run across a number of URs reporting this as well as gas stations I've looked at - where the brand is blank since the station name is no longer supported as a "brand". Is there a fix - or as the previous poster indicated - a way to get brands added to the list?
We have reported the problem to staff and they are working on a fix, I believe.

The brand list is plenty long already and I don't think I'd want to populate it with anything that isn't a chain on at least a metropolitan level.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message