Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by berestovskyy
argus-cronos wrote:We suffering and complaining also since years, but waze is about to improve the search. We will see.
Will this improved search help me to find a city named "City (county)" on the map if I search for "City, province" in the App?

Will this search give me more that 10 results, because we have ~15 "Rudniks" in Poland?

Since I can't even read your closed forums, can I ask you to ask Waze that it will? ;)

Thanks in advance!
berestovskyy
Send a message

Post by berestovskyy
davipt wrote:I'll repeat myself again. Go to maps.bing.com,
I'll repeat myself too then :lol: We have neither Bing nor Google search available here in Poland. Neither for cities nor for house numbers :( Just internal Waze search and Foursquare.
davipt wrote:If you search for Rudnik you should get all 15, sorted by distance.
Now I'm getting just 10, sorted irrelevant to the distance or even country. So searching for "Rudnik", for instance, I always get at the top "Rudnik, Serbia"/658 km away.

I've posted some screenshots here (forum topic Searching for Non-unique City Names in Poalnd).

Thanks!
berestovskyy
Send a message

Post by Dekis
davipt wrote:[...] but I would never suggest starting right now abusing the current alt feature with those hashtags on the city name.
It's just a way to introduce a new feature with existing attributes. Ideally, there shall be a separate way to indicate the type of an alternative name.
Dekis
Experts
Experts
Send a message

Post by Dekis
davipt wrote: We really need to be smart and completely separate the issue of using bing and bing search sucking in most countries, from the whole challenge of using waze as internal search and how to set up our data so the search is the best possible.
And Waze search should be localized even when showing search results.
Dekis
Experts
Experts
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
petervdveen wrote:Ofcourse we can add state data for all countries.
The Netherlands has 12 provinces, but what benefit would it have to add this info?
Improvements to search and avoidance of duplicate town/city names. We've asked for this feature in the UK for 3 years!
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
petervdveen wrote:I much rather see a postalcode addition.
A lot of people just use the postalcode for navigation, but that's impossible because it's not supported.
It works very well in the UK!
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
TonyG-UK wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:It works very well in the UK!
Until they stop using external sources for address searching.
I believe the post codes were imported so should be unaffected. Though even if they were still external, they'll just become a secondary database rather than an unusable one.
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmrzoom
NYC would be a great place to test time-restricted turns. I've seen a few errors reported from users directed to make illegal turns. That's a "last tiem user-experience" waiting to happen.
dmrzoom
Send a message

Post by edsonajj
I will comment on several of your examples
berestovskyy wrote:To improve TTS pronunciation:
Street: full street name Waze uses by default
Alt City: #tts Alt Street: if present, a spoken form of the street name for TTS

Example:
Street: CeBIT Street <- a name for search and to display
Alt City: #tts Alt Street: C. bit Street <- Waze uses this to correctly pronounce the street name
In general I like it; it would be better if the nuance voices worked correctly or Waze's adaptations considered cases where this is needed. As a stopgap, it's good.
berestovskyy wrote:To abbreviate long street names:
Alt City: #short Alt Street: if present, a short street name to display and to pronounce (if #tts is not there)

For instance:
Street: Estakada imienia generała brygady piłotów Mateusza Iżyckiego <- full name for search
Alt City: #short Alt Street: Estakada Iżyckiego <- short street name to display/pronounce
At least in México our rule for street naming is to use primarily whatever is on signs and I've never seen one as long as your example... I don't know if it is common in Poland. Still, assuming you have a similar situation I think the current system could handle it correctly with the Short/Common street name on the main field and the full one in the alternate.
berestovskyy wrote:To complement/disambiguate an address:
Alt City: #zip Alt Street: if present, a zip code Waze uses for search
Alt City: #province Alt Street: if present, a province name/code Waze uses for search
Alt City: #district Alt Street: if present, a district name Waze uses for search
etc
I think that all of these should be handled through separate fields.

Examples 5-10: This would be stretching the role of the alt name quite far... There is nothing to suggest that waze would start using this info, and in general when a new feature has been implemented previous data has not been migrated over (such as house numbers). And at least for road closures it can be handled by disconnecting the segments while they should not be used for navigation.
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Edson Jiménez

Post by edsonajj
I can tell you that most countries in Latin America can benefit from the states feature, as we have administrative regions that are equivalent to those in the US. For the examples on Portugal, Germany and Poland I don't see why the respective administrative regions could not be put in the state field (even if they are not the exactly states); there might be further sub-divisions but I still think that having information on the broad administrative regions for each country is better than not having it.
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Edson Jiménez