This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Proposal - Locking by type.

Post by
I would like to float a proposal about changing how we handle locks and editing changes in the US.

Now that we have control over editor levels, lock levels and have our own Update board in the US, I believe we can leverage this to lessen the amount of vandalism and also promote better editing practices.

Proposal

Set lock level based upon type, regardless of whether or not how "clean" or "correct" the road or landmark is.

Level 1 - Streets, Parking Lot Roads, Dirt Roads, Service Roads, Private Roads, Landmarks.
Level 2 - Special cases of Level 1 types. (Construction areas, unique situations)
Level 3 - Primary Streets, Minor highways, Gas Station Landmarks.
Level 4 - Special cases of Level 3 types. (Construction areas, unique situations)
Level 5 - Freeway, Major Highway, Ramps.
Level 6 - Not used.

Lock Level Rationale

Level 5 roads primarily cross state lines. Almost all Wazers will touch these roads at some time and modifications will affect many Wazers. CMs can validate any changes.

Level 3 - Editor Lock Level 3 is used for Area Managers. By setting primary streets and Minor highways to Level 3, this will give AMs better control over their area without having to go to a CM. Gas Station landmarks are tied into the pricing mechanism. Changes to these should be restricted to AMs and above to not lose this link. Editors can make requests directly to Level 3s, which will encourage communication between less experienced editors and their AMs. Complex intersections tend to involve primary streets, so now they will be more protected.

Level 1 - Open to all. Beginner editors can edit these to their hearts content without having to make requests for changes. It also limits the amount of damage to the map by vandals. Higher level editors can quickly identity and verify new editors in their areas who are just starting out. Hopefully, this will increase communication and promote better editing practices by starting out on situations that are not that complex.

Level 4 and Level 2 - These are used for special situations where the normal locking level doesn't suffice, yet doesn't qualify for the next level up. For example, construction zones, unique situations that confuse editors, aerials not up to date.

How does this affect editing behavior.

New Editors
All editors will still be able to see update requests and map problems, however beginner editors will have to come to the forums to ask for unlocks for road types that they are not yet qualified for. This will encourage participation in forums and cut down on the number of "rogue" editors. It provides some level of checks and balances.

Area Managers
It increases the responsibilities of Area Managers. Right now being an AM really means nothing. Now, CMs can defer "Level 3 and below" requests to AMs, lessening the load on CMs, increasing the local knowlegebase and communication. It also reduces the amount of "CM not from the area making a change without local knowledge" situations.

But won't this limit how many points I get?
Yes. But I have to ask what is the motivation for editing. To get more points or to improve the map? There are still a zillion Level 1 type roads to edit. The forums are here to make requests to edit higher levels, but we now have checks and balances for edits that will affect a lot of Wazers.

Improving Customer Experience
Edits to key roads need to have checks and balances to ensure that the experience for Wazers is what they are expecting. Right now, it's only when a problem is noticed that bad edits tend to be corrected. This usually means that some poor hapless Wazer probably got a bad route. There's nothing worse for a Wazer then when a common commute route suddenly changes because of a series of bad edits.

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Waze will be implementing lowest possible rank lock by segment based on some algorithm using type and usage. First test of this was a few months ago and the lock rank wasn't right so they are re- doing it.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
dctdye wrote:The below road (McFarland Blvd) is currently classified as Major Highway, Minor Highway, and even a Freeway stretch.
A single roadway swtiching back and forth between types every couple of miles like that is just downright idiotic.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Post by CBenson
sketch wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Waze will be implementing lowest possible rank lock by segment based on some algorithm using type and usage. First test of this was a few months ago and the lock rank wasn't right so they are re- doing it.
I would like to reiterate this. A similar standard is already being prepared for use via an algorithm that will determine the minimum lock level based on actual road use.
I would again reiterate that waze is planning an automatic locking scheme based on actual road use.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
PhantomSoul wrote:... if I can't fix up the places I actually drive along without having to keep track of who I asked for what and whether it's been resolved yet and whether he/she understood my reasoning or proposed solution correctly, then frankly, it kind of defeats the point of being an AM. In other words, that's not what I signed up for.
Driving an area does not equal "I should be able to edit everything in it" IMO. Before, being an AM had nothing to do with being able to edit well. Now that we scrutinize AMs much more than before, hopefully we can get better quality out of the AMs we approve of in the US.

Having "AM" as an attribute which allows all editing ability within a specific area, as noted by someone above, would be nice to have decoupled from the editing ranks.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Post by CBenson
My opinion is that locking is unnecessary unless there are particular issue with particular segments. I'm opposed to any general locking scheme.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Post by CBenson
daknife wrote:[Freeways do need locks because they really don't change all that much. Most sections of freeway get a major rebuild every 30 or 40 years, during major construction more attention is needed but other times not so much. And leaving them at lev 5 is the safer way to go.
I disagree again. Freeways are frequently changed around here, different signage, new lanes, and major construction where traffic patterns can change weekly.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Post by bart99gt
jasonh300 wrote:At this point, anyone who has an unusually high number of daily points will be looked at. Some are people who have a lot of time, and are doing a good job, and some have a lot of time and are being destructive. We're catching more of those early now and either steering in the right direction or banning.

The developers have a new method of detecting cheaters. I was alerted to a Level 4 the other day, who was detected as a points cheater and shut down by Waze instantly. We've eliminated a few CMs who were not following the rules. There are a few more on the radar. Waze developers have stated that they will not tolerate anyone doing damage to the map for the sake of gaining points.

If you see something suspicious, report it to your Regional Coordinator before there's a chance for major damage to be done.
I have seen the effects of this, and thanks to all for getting it cleaned up.

There is one now former user who I constantly spend a lot of time cleaning up streets he hastily added, splits, parking lots, etc., in and around my local area. Most have been badly misaligned, turns not set right, etc. It is a bit frustrating to say the least.

Personally, I've found map editing to be somewhat addicting, and I've try to take the best care I can with what I edit.
bart99gt
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by banished
dbraughlr wrote:I haven't figured out how to report sloppy edits by L3 and L5 editors: misplaced roads, missing segments, straight-through not permitted, roads on wrong level, etc.

How do I report these?
The same way as anything else that needs correction. Either fix it yourself or submit an unlock request. You could also PM the editor directly. If it's a massive problem and the editor does not respond after a few days, go to the Regional Coordinator.

I am uncertain that what you perceive as "sloppy edits" are limited to L3 or L5, either. I find them at the L6 level on occasion, but fortunately at a much lower rate!

Best,
banished
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
GC, ARC, Veteran, CISSP, MCP

Post by banished
razor2k wrote:Good point! I personally would have no objection to this. There are so many new editors trying to get into the "action" that damage is being done to higher level roads that aren't locked. So to bring in new editors without them getting discouraged, I'd see no problem with extending the range for streets/parking lots,etc.

Anyone disagree?
I'm wondering if shouldn't be more restrictive, actually. Locking doesn't have much effect when newer editors and some L3s that should know better are drawing in new segments on top of segments they cannot change due to the lock-level. I've got a couple I'm about ready to elevate to the RC...

New editors are essentially hired off the street without an interview to determine if they're right for the position. Were I the hiring manager, I'd say they must complete an editing test which could be nothing more than reading 3 or 4 of the key wiki's.

Ain't I a stinker? :)
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Post by banished
Riamus wrote:We don't want to push away editors and most problems are just general errors that can be fixed. I don't think we have too many problems with people making malicious errors, do we?
Unlearned or malicious editing has the same result, I think. I can deal with the unlearned if they respond to guidance from the higher levels pointing them to the wikis and then begin cleaning up their act. Part of any CMs or RMs responsibility is helping the unlearned. If the unlearned chose to ignore that help, then their errant edits become malicious.

So, yes, we do want to discourage people who do not want to become learned. And yes, I am presently dealing with some bad editing; new editors drawing new segments on top of existing segments because those segments are locked beyond their ability to edit. Is it malicious? They're new editors, so maybe not. Not yet, anyway. One shows an interest in learning, and the CMs/RMs will encourage that all the live-long-day.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs