The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Perhaps a New Users/How to Use This Forum/Start Here sticky?

Post by tonestertm
I may have dreamed that there used to be one of these. Might I suggest it, in the interest of helping (a little) to lower Alan's blood pressure? ;) I know they often get ignored, but sometimes people do pay attention, and every little bit of education helps, IMHO. (Sure wish there had been one comprehensive spot to start when I did. Yes, I'm a heretic.)

Serving Suggestion (with a little fleshing out, of course):
----------------------------------------------------------
Begin by reading the Intro to the Waze Map Editor and Best Map Editing Practices contained therein; this will tell you a LOT about how to make the useful and effective edits you want to make to the map. If your question isn't yet answered, try searching for your topic in the Wiki.These techniques will probably answer (95%?) of all new-users' questions (and some you haven't thought of yet!) and keep in mind, even moderately experienced editors refer to the Wiki often. Note the handy-dandy link to the Wiki in the lower left corner of the Editor window.

If you're not up for this, seriously consider just asking someone in the forum to address your issue, as you could quickly end up doing more harm than good on the map. And believe me, you don't want Alan finding out about that! :D

Next, Search this forum for your topic, as there is a REALLY REALLY GOOD chance it has been asked (and answered) by someone before--possibly multiple times. Again with the handy-dandy link to this forum in the lower left corner of the Editor window.

Then, if you haven't found an answer, post your question asking for assistance on how to solve the issue. If it involves a specific spot on the map, DO INCLUDE a Permalink: (Instructions in the Wiki sections you read above, remember?)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Comments, questions, flames?
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

POSTER_ID:12160166

Send a message
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y7f2gsiomkpxbe6/CA_SM_Rocket_Shear_Alpha_50.png?dl=0
ARC for SW Region, USA
Global Champ, US Local Champ
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I did spend a good deal of time creating the "Read Me First" threads which are visible to everyone and which appear to be oft-ignored. They aren't editor-specific. I asked other Champs to step up, repeatedly to write some app-specific and editor-specific "read me first" threads, but those never materialized. I'm annoyed by that, and perhaps a little bitter, but I get to increase my post count a lot by typing the same thing over and over... :roll:
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by tonestertm
Thanks, Alan. I knew I'd seen it somewhere.... :/ I usually come straight here these days.

How about a sticky link to it in here, then, for folks who tend to blast past official-looking stuff like that, or just plain missed it? In my tiny little reptile brain, "Forum Rules and Guidelines" doesn't scream, "Here's how to learn to use the Editor and this forum" or The Right Way to Get Help.

Also, the link in the Editor window comes directly here, so those who tend to jump right in (the ones who most often ask the most basic questions) would bypass your work altogether.

Just as an aside, what further info would you like to see in that area?
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y7f2gsiomkpxbe6/CA_SM_Rocket_Shear_Alpha_50.png?dl=0
ARC for SW Region, USA
Global Champ, US Local Champ
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!