The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

How to draw street with multiple lanes

Post by patitoman
Dear All, I just entered to the community one month ago but I think that WAZE is an excelent idea!

I am editing the map trying to solve problems and puting new roads in the area of Barcelona, Spain.

I have a question for you: how to draw streets with multiple lanes? in my area there are a lot of wide streets with more than 2 lanes per direction, in some cases these streets are not Freeways or Primary streets. When people drive on these streets the GPS path is multiple so the editing map shows always the problem telling the geometry of the sreet is no correct.

Do you know how I can draw wide streets in the map.

Thanks to the community.

Regards.
patitoman

POSTER_ID:694559

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I've recently tackled similar situations around my area. What I have been doing is
  1. If there is a median or barrier which makes it impossible to turn across the opposing lanes, I split it into two one-way roads. This makes more work to get turns at intersections correct and functional.
  2. When there are multiple lanes going the same direction for a two-one-way road, I simply use only one road.
  3. For multi-lane two-way roads with no median, I use a single two-way road.
  4. At the point at which a one way splits into turn lanes or some lanes become designated by road signs that they will exit, I add a junction and a new one-way road which will then be used to turn, or be a ramp.
This does cause more work, but I believe that the view the user gets in live map on the mobile will be more accurate. I am not sure yet, but I would hope that voice prompts will alert the drive to stay left or right depending on which way the split lanes are going. I have yet to try this out as my edits are fresh and not live yet.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by patitoman
Thanks a lot guys! I will try to do the best with the maps in my area. I hope that the developing team think about this point, could be in future versions we can set the numbers of lanes per direction in Cartouche.

Regards.
patitoman
Send a message

Post by unwallflower
There isn't really a way to do this. The best I've found is to make sure the split the road into two one-way roads IF there is a large median. Sometimes there isn't a median so it isn't correct to split the roads, but yet they are still wide and it causes problems.

It is a bit frustrating at times.
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by unwallflower
I agree that this is something that is probably more necessary than just convenient, and I really hope that they include it soon.

At least here in San Diego, where we have freeways that have 8 lanes in EACH direction sometimes, the narrow freeways result in a lot of map errors because the GPS thinks you're driving alongside the freeway when you're really on it.
unwallflower
Send a message