Speed camera notification bug?

Moderators: Unholy, Timbones

Speed camera notification bug?

Postby PhantomFlanFlinger » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:53 am

My main home to work route is M1 J10 to J5 but I'm often in Dunstable at J11.

Whilst travelling on the motorway, the App speed camera notification pops up with the usual distance countdown. The thing is, the countdown is too early and finishes well before the actual camera.
Looking at the App, the image for the camera is where it should be in relation to the physical camera, it's just that the countdown notification seems to think the camera is closer than it is.

Unfortunately, it's not all cameras and isn't necessarily related to motorway cameras either as I get it at a camera in Watford. It does seem to be the same cameras for me though. The 2 gantry cameras between M1 J11 and J10 are 2 that spring to mind. The 2 northbound cameras are OK though.

I use a Galaxy S4. Has anyone else had the issue??
Dave Image
ImageImage
AM for Bedfordshire
PhantomFlanFlinger
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: Speed camera notification bug?

Postby Dave2084 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:07 am

I've not seen this on iOS, anyone on android (especially an S4) care to comment?

Screenshots would be useful.
iPhone 6S Plus (Jailed) • iOS 9.2 • Waze 4.1
Level 6 Editor • Lincolnshire Area Manager • UK Country Administrator • iOS Beta Tester
UK WikiUK ForumWaze UK on FacebookBecome a UK Area ManagerWaze Status
Dave2084
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers

Postby CTCNetwork » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:13 am

Hi,

I would question where you are and, more importantly, where your phone thinks you are. Phone SatNav accuracy is not always the best and can can be wildly inaccurate.

I find I am regularly behind on SatNav so get warnings for either cams or turns just as they are past.

Maybe try a go with GPS Test - a free app on the play store which will give you a rough idea of the accuracy of your positioning.

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork

Postby PhantomFlanFlinger » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:28 am

The thing that confuses me (easily done :lol: ) is that the camera shows the correct place on the App and the GPS matches it.
It's the notification that doesn't seem to tie in with the location of the camera on the map.

Will try a screenshot next time I see it.
Dave Image
ImageImage
AM for Bedfordshire
PhantomFlanFlinger
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby PhantomFlanFlinger » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:20 pm

OK, here is a screenshot with the problem.

As you can see from the notification, I should almost be at the camera. If the camera symbol was there too, it might just be a placement issue, but you can see the camera symbol is away up the purple line, matching the physical placement of the gantry camera.

The notification at this point is about 100m before the camera.

Dave Image
ImageImage
AM for Bedfordshire
PhantomFlanFlinger
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby CTCNetwork » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:27 pm

Hi,

I can't see a duplicate cam. There is a gantry at or about where you are before the camera. Maybe it is a ghost cam still flagging warnings but has only recently been deleted?
Does seem odd though...

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork

Postby PhantomFlanFlinger » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:46 pm

It happens on both southbound gantry cameras, but it's OK on the northbound ones. :?:

Also happens on a normal streetside Truvelo in Watford, though I did move that one a couple of weeks back as it was in the wrong position. Coincidence??
Dave Image
ImageImage
AM for Bedfordshire
PhantomFlanFlinger
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Yeramihi » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:32 pm

Had the same problem few times. Completely random, cannot tell what it depends on. Happened to me on M11, M25, A127 and few local roads in Southend On Sea area.

Previously I was on iOS, never had this problem. Now I'm on Android Jelly bean (galaxy note 2) and it just happens randomly. Probably bug within Waze app itself.
Yeramihi

Postby Twister-UK » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:31 pm

Yeah, I've seen this happening from time to time too on my Jelly Bean One X. I thought it was just my GPS being slightly off (I've noticed the client getting my position completely wrong at some points along my daily commute where, up till the last couple of weeks or so, it's always been spot on), but perhaps it's been this early warning problem instead...

I'm also seeing a lot of times where camera and hazard markers aren't showing up at all until immediately after I submit a new camera/hazard report at that location, at which point I then get both my new marker plus the original marker showing up. Which, annoyingly/embarrassingly, makes it look as if I'm submitting duplicate hazard reports just to get the 6 points, rather than (from my point of view at the time) reporting a new hazard that no-one else has reported yet.
L4 AM for NW London and Shetland Islands - HTC One M8/Android 5.0.1
WME/Livemap enhancement scripts @ GreasyFork and Chrome Web Store
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Dave2084 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:15 pm

I will have a look through all the Bugs posted on Centrecode and Bugzilla later and see if I can see anything similar and if not I'll raise a bug report.

One thing, on Android do you get the circles flowing out of the camera being reported on (or is that just an iOS thing). Don't see in in the screenshot.
iPhone 6S Plus (Jailed) • iOS 9.2 • Waze 4.1
Level 6 Editor • Lincolnshire Area Manager • UK Country Administrator • iOS Beta Tester
UK WikiUK ForumWaze UK on FacebookBecome a UK Area ManagerWaze Status
Dave2084
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers

Next

Return to United Kingdom