Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by Riamus
I do like being very clear and specific, but I think that's really more than should be necessary. It's surprising how many people don't know 24 hour time! I knew it as a kid and although I rarely need to use it, it's still second nature to me. *shrug* And so few who use AM/PM even know what AM and PM stand for. ;)

Anyhow, here's an option that is simple and to the point...
  • No changes are made for AM times after 1:00AM.
  • For PM times, add 12 to the hour until 11:59PM. Enter 1:00PM as 13:00.
  • For any time between midnight and 1:00AM, use 0 for the hour. Enter 12:00AM as 0:00.
Riamus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Previously Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S21+.

Post by Riamus
sketch wrote:"For PM times, add 12 to the hour" is straight up wrong for the entire 12:00 PM hour.
Oops. Yeah, I wasn't paying attention. It should have included the 12:00PM hour in the AM section.
Riamus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Previously Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S21+.

Post by sketch
Well... they're kind of all "turn restrictions" and "traffic flow restrictions". The "Turn restrictions" section would be more accurately called "all-day, every-day restrictions".
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Eliminating "vehicle type restrictions" as a primary category should help. Either that or creating another category, "all-vehicle restrictions", and organizing it that way.

Either
  • All-vehicle restrictions
    • Turn restrictions
      • All-day-every-day turn restrictions (no left turn)
      • Scheduled turn restrictions (no left turn 7a-9a)
    • Road restrictions
      • All-day-every-day Road restrictions (one-way streets)
      • Scheduled road restrictions
        • Full restrictions (no traffic 7a-9a)
        • Reversible roads (inbound only 6a-11a, outbound only 2p-7p)
  • Vehicle type restrictions
    • Vehicle type turn restrictions
      • All-day-every-day vehicle type turn restrictions (no left turn except buses)
      • Scheduled vehicle type turn restrictions (no left turn 7a-9a except buses)
    • Vehicle type road restrictions
      • All-day-every-day vehicle type road restrictions
        • Certain vehicles allowed (taxis only)
        • Certain vehicles excluded (no trucks)
      • Scheduled vehicle type road restrictions
        • Single-direction (no trucks 7a-9a 4p-6p)
        • Reversible road (HOV 3+ 6a-9a)
Or maybe splitting it by "All-day-every-day" and "timed" could make sense. I think this way may be better, though, since you start with the arrows, move on to the basic timed turn restriction page, then for the second half you start using the "vehicle types" dropdown in the box. Start simple, build progressively.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
kentsmith9 wrote:Sketch, that seems overly complicated. I was assuming we would focus on the editing controls themselves showing how each one works. I don't see a need to show how each one works under each combination. Maybe I am not following your proposal.
You'd cover the same stuff that way and in largely the same order. "All-day-every-day turn restrictions" are done with the arrow control, scheduled turn restrictions are done with the clock, scheduled road restrictions are done with the "Add/edit restrictions" button. Both controls lead to essentially the same dialog, so it makes sense to cover them at the same time. That covers the "All-vehicle restrictions" section in my list.

I would want to cover the basic operation of each control first, before getting into it with the "vehicle types dropdown", because the vehicle types dropdown is a bit more confusing. The clock box and the button box are pretty straightforward before you get into that.

Everything under the "vehicle type road restrictions" bullet point could be covered in the last section. The bullet points in my list aren't necessarily their own sections, just types/examples of each large point. For example, we'd mention "If only one type of vehicle is allowed, uncheck only the box for that vehicle type." then have a screenshot of the box with, say, "bus" unchecked and a caption saying "this turn is only allowed for buses". Then on the next line we'd say "If only one type of vehicle is not allowed, check only the box for that vehicle type." then have a screenshot of the box with, say, "truck" unchecked and the caption "no trucks allowed on this segment".

In short, you could split it into three sections: "turn arrows", "time-based restrictions window" (clock or button), and "time-based restrictions window: vehicle types pulldown", and still follow the logical order I laid out.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
sketch wrote:In short, you could split it into three sections: "turn arrows", "time-based restrictions window" (clock or button), and "time-based restrictions window: vehicle types pulldown", and still follow the logical order I laid out.
Please modify the page as you've suggested and which Kent has lent some tentative-sounding approval.
I will do this by tomorrow evening. I may not have time before then.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
CBenson wrote:Draft looks good. It seems much more focused on turn restrictions than segment restrictions. That is there is no discussion about the A-B issues. But that can be covered in the reversible road discussions.
That's only because I didn't actually write that part. I ran out of time around the end of the turn restrictions part. I should be able to finish it up by Tuesday.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I've done some additions, but there's a lot left to be done. Something I could use is more examples -- I'd like a real-world sign for every type of restriction we have. I have compiled some images for a couple of the examples so far, but it's a bit tedious on this cash register, and I'd prefer to do it on my computer at home:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jjbhjcznn97w0f8/uVXCDtKDp7

Alan, and anyone else interested in compiling examples, would you be willing to get in on a Dropbox share folder for this page?

Also, many of the examples include Street View functionality which hasn't been released to the main editor yet. However, I'm sure by the time this page is actually done, it'll be released or nearly released anyway, and we wouldn't want to have to do all-new images when it is released anyway.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Nice, that's something else. I was thinking it might be good to use images either from Waze's editor or from our own cameras though, for copyright purposes and all that. Plus using street view means we can also show the segment on the map for explanation purposes.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message