Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.

Correct address, wrong location.

Post by arami76
I have noticed that Waze has my home location correct, but instead of stopping on my street at the front of my house, it wants to end the trip in the alley behind my house.

How can this be fixed?
arami76

POSTER_ID:16791249

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Dogshrink wrote:Thanks for responding. Although it might be fine for a map editor to get around the problem to regenerate their home location, it makes no sense for all users to have to do this to be able to use the address search function each time they need to use it.

I hope the Waze design team gives this issue a higher priority.
Not sure I understand this. But it's pretty clear and well-understood from the documentation that Waze continues to almost exclusively rely on google in the US for address resolution.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Dogshrink wrote:Then of what use is Waze's addressing function? I was under the impression that once we mofified an address it would override Google's and that we would be responsible for any new addressing. I certainly do not want to put time and effort into this area if it is not effecting any results.
It is always more advisable to get the back-end of a system filled with data and functional prior to release to the front-end. We are slowly getting the Waze addressing system updated with more accurate locations (yes, at the same time we are also fixing google's for them) so it will be ready when the production search engine is switched over.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Dogshrink wrote:Unfortunately, it is not Google's problem; it's Waze's. Although it's true that Waze is using Google's pin location, when routing to the same address on Google, the end location (street pointer) is correct. Waze is misinterpreting closest street, not Google.
Waze will often route to another street other than what was searched for due to another segment being closer, but that's a separate issue. If Waze isn't routing to the physically closest street, which is the current known and desired behavior and is generally working as designed, please supply such an example.

If you're still talking about your "2014 W. Tilghman St., Allentown, pa" from earlier in the thread, I think it's pretty clear the marker is closer to Utica than Tilghman. Move the pin much closer to Tilghman and it will be solved.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Even Google Maps shows that the pin is closer to Utica. If you go in the move the address marker, it places the Streetview icon on Utica. :roll:

UPDATE: I moved all the pins for the 2002-2026 block to the Tilghman side.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
qwaletee wrote:Seems to me that a short-term fix to a widespread problem would be to have Waze slightly modify the logic used to determine street location from Google GPS data.
The main problem with this is that the code/logic used does not take the user input into account at all. It relies only, and 100%, on the lat/lon returned by the search provider and nothing else. It would, accorinding to Waze, be a large undertaking to add this new logic. It would be simpler/less problematic, to use the Waze internal house numbers, when they activate it, because that logic is somehow already there because the data is internal and has street/address data already together.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
qwaletee wrote:As a developer, I find this hard to believe. I'm not saying it is trivial to program. But adding a parameter to a method or an attribute to an object? Meh.
I'm not disagreeing with you, well not exactly. But Waze has known the lat/lon-only setup for routing has been a problem for a long time, and users have often requested the street name be taken into account in determining the correct stop-point. To date, Waze has either been unwilling or unable to make the changes.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
kentsmith9 wrote:Alan, do you know if this is already in bugzilla (I did not search yet)? Maybe we could get a bunch of us champs to vote for it to move it up? I waste a lot of time editing Google maps to fix this lame Waze issue, and in some cases I actually make the Google map data wrong by moving the house address pin too far away from the house just to get it away from the back street.
Waze already has the fix: internal house numbers. I don't think it makes sense for this to be in bugzilla.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jonnypin wrote:another wazer with the same problem...PeoPle Please
What problem exactly? And have you read ALL the house number documentation?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:Have you routing to saved the location in the app (a search entry with a star) or are you routing to a history entry (a search entry with a clock)?
A Star search entry is a Favorite. ninsianna, you need to be using the search entry with a pin marker. Those are live search results. Other icons are saved/stored locations and will not reflect location changes.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message