495S off ramp in college park

Post by attheyard
Is anyone familiar with this intersection in college park? https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

Specifically, there has been a recurring UR that states the off-ramp from 495S leading south on baltimore ave (rt 1) legally allows a left turn onto rt 1 to travel north. Looking at the aerial and the roads, this doesn't make much sense, as 1) it looks very dangerous, and 2) there is an off ramp that is designated for rt 1 north, so why would you take the south ramp only to travel north. The user who submitted the most recent UR clearly did take a left turn at this point, but that doesn't make it legal. The turn is allowed for now, but if anyone has better knowledge of that intersection than I do please speak up.
attheyard
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:6094302

Send a message

Post by attheyard
Pretty sure that's for Edgewood rt. Looking at streetview you're right, it doesn't say no u-turns so I suppose the turn is allowed, but this seems to fall into the "dangerous turns waze shouldn't suggest" category.
attheyard
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by attheyard
If it's the same problem, mark as solved and ignore. As you stated above, waze picking that route during peak times is a bad idea. I would compare this to the times waze tells you to exit and immediately return to a highway...if it can be avoided it should be.
attheyard
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Its been a few months since I've traveled through that intersection. My recollection is that the left turn signal is intended to provide access to Edgewood (which I have taken frequently to get to the businesses on Rhode Island Ave). However, when the turn signal is green, the traffic on Route 1 is stopped so there is nothing difficult about making the left onto Route 1 north.

On the other hand, until now it would never have occurred to me to enable the turn to Route 1 north as there is the clover leaf ramp that exists specifically for that movement. I would expect many users to consider the turn from the ramp to Route 1 north to be "wrong" even if legal and possible.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
attheyard wrote:The user who submitted the most recent UR clearly did take a left turn at this point
I do wonder why this user goes that way.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by russblau
attheyard wrote:Is anyone familiar with this intersection in college park? https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

Specifically, there has been a recurring UR that states the off-ramp from 495S leading south on baltimore ave (rt 1) legally allows a left turn onto rt 1 to travel north. Looking at the aerial and the roads, this doesn't make much sense, as 1) it looks very dangerous, and 2) there is an off ramp that is designated for rt 1 north, so why would you take the south ramp only to travel north. The user who submitted the most recent UR clearly did take a left turn at this point, but that doesn't make it legal. The turn is allowed for now, but if anyone has better knowledge of that intersection than I do please speak up.
Well, as you can see from StreetView, there is a traffic signal at the end of the ramp, and there is a lane with a left turn signal and a "left-arrow" only sign. However, I'm 90% confident that this is for left turns onto Edgewood Rd, not onto US 1 North.
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by russblau
CBenson wrote:I would expect many users to consider the turn from the ramp to Route 1 north to be "wrong" even if legal and possible.
I agree. It's like the straight-thru arrow at a diamond interchange. Even if it is legal, allowing Waze to use it for routing is just asking for trouble.
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by trooster10
Agreed, I'm fairly familiar with this intersection and I'd say leave it as a prohibited turn. I checked the signal plans and there are no conflicting traffic movements such as a protected right turn from Edgewood Rd to US-1 N. However, the weave zone on US-1 N between the loop ramps is almost always congested during the PM peak, so it's possible Waze would direct you to use Exit 25B then make the U-turn to access US-1 N if the turn was permitted in the editor.
trooster10
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Thomas R. - Level 5 Editor
State Manager - Maryland

Post by trooster10
Another map problem showed up yesterday...should we just mark them as solved and ignore them?
trooster10
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Thomas R. - Level 5 Editor
State Manager - Maryland