Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by voludu2
I have added a notice of Erik Hirner's passing to the top of our wazeopedia page.
We can follow up later with more permanent changes to our page.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I have removed the notice of Erik's passing from the notice at the top of the wiki page.
I hope this is OK with everyone.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I would like to propose a change to the section on 4-digit state road names.
from
State Routes with 4 digits (e.g. SR-3001) should not have the route number in the alternate field. SR-xxxx should be removed from the alt field, if you find it.
to
State Routes with 4 digits (e.g. SR-3001) may have the route number in the alternate field ONLY if it has been verified and deemed useful for identifying roads named in PennDOT notices.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I have made the following change:
In https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Pe ... ces#Cities
I have added a link to the newest version of the Philadelphia street closures permits map
https://stsweb.phila.gov/permitphl/
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
RussPA wrote:To update the whole Non-drivable roads section, this would be comparable to other states and refer editors to USA guidelines for this road type, which PA follows:
Review the Wiki guidelines for non-drivable roads to ensure compliance with the general guidelines.

"Emergency and Authorized Vehicles Only" and PennDOT Service Roads are to be treated as non-drivable roads as well. You primarily see these between interstate freeway lanes and on the Turnpike. These should not be mapped and should be removed if found since they do not benefit users.
Russ - I think there is consensus on this change. Please make it.
We should also update the statements on non-drivable road types like routeable pedestrian paths and railways to reflect the changes made in 2014.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Pennsylvania SMs are systematically tackling the duplicate city names in Pennsylvania.
Did you know:
The list of all CDPs, townships, boroughs (and one town), and cities in Pennsylvania includes 385 duplicated names, and 1169 cities with duplicated or nearly duplicated names.

Pennsylvania has 5 Centers, 23 Washingtons (and one "Washington Boro"), and only 9 Springfields.

The wiki page needs an update for naming cities. Please review and let us know if the wording can be improved to remove confusion. The systematic renaming project has been underway since January, and should be completed by the end of first quarter 2020. Most of the renaming will be handled without editing any segments, using the Cities form or a "CM city rename".

# Whenever possible, just use the name of the city, borough, or township, with nothing added. Example: "East Goshen" for East Goshen Township
# If there are a borough and township of the same name in the same county, then append "Twp" to the township name and "Boro" to the borough name For example: Tionesta township surrounds Tionesta borough. In this case, use "Tionesta Boro" for the borough and "Tionesta Twp" for the township.
# If the same city name is used in several different counties, add a comma followed by the county name in every county.
#* If the county name is identical to the city name, leave off the county name (Example: The city of "Washington", in Washington County. The 22 Washington townships in the other counties get the county name appended)
#* If the county name is "Delaware", leave off the county name
For example: "Hanover, Northampton" and "Hanover, Lehigh" are two townships right across the county line from each other, and there is a borough named simply "Hanover" in York county.
# If there are a township and a borough of the same name in the same county, use "Twp" and "Boro" (see above) in addition to the county name
#* If there is a city of the same name as a township or borough in the same county, use "Twp" or "Boro" for the township or borough, and no designation of City (Examples: "Bethlehem", "Bethlehem Twp" both in Northampton county; "Chester" and "Chester Twp", both in Delaware County)
# If there is a township in one county and a borough in another county, the county names are enough to distinguish them (Example: "Hanover, Northampton", "Hanover, Lehigh", "Hanover, York")
# If the city name itself includes the word "City" or "Boro", this is not considered a duplicate of a city without this string in the name. (Examples: "Broad Top City" - borough, Huntingdon and "Broad Top" - township, Bedford; "Washington Boro", a CDP in Lancaster County, not a duplicate name of the other 23 Washingtons in PA)
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Since there has been no discussion of this proposed change, I've made the change to the wiki.

Doctorblah, RussPA, and I have been working on "right naming" all the cities in PA using these rules. IT's going to take a while. If you have any questions, please ask. If we've missed anything, please let us know.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
1) I think there is no disagreement on that Fire Department info, and it should be added to our Wiki page.

2) I have added a "current issues in Pennsylvania" list in the Introduction section (because it is at the top of the page). Currently, the only issue listed is place addresses which were damaged by the City Merges in 2019 (and probably earlier)

If that works for everyone, I'll leave that the way it is. Otherwise, we can discuss other ways to organize the information on the page.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
The Discord invite link has changed to https://discord.gg/sF39wSt and I have updated the Community section of the page accordingly.
voludu2
Send a message