Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Voice Commands Disappearing???

Post by chief594
Hi Everyone,

I have a strange problem and I'm curious if I'm the only one. A few days ago I upgraded my iOS 7 to the new Waze 3.7.6.

I went to the settings, chose my gestures to activate the voice commands and everything worked great. Today I went to use the gestures to use the voice command feature and couldn't get them to work. I went into my settings to see if something changed and low and behold the "voice commands" section of the settings has disappeared.

I can still use voice commands if I manually touch the microphone but there is no gesture options anymore. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app as well as turned my phone completely on/off but nothing helped.

Does anyone else have this problem? I'd greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

PS - Sorry the images are so big. I don't know how to shrink them.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-WXAffZstn78/U ... 97.PNG.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mcuNH6MFnt0/U ... 98.PNG.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vz1684mybe4/U ... 99.PNG.jpg
chief594

POSTER_ID:16788232

Send a message
Last edited by chief594 on Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by chief594
Just upgraded my app to 3.7.7.0 and have the same problem. Is it really just me and cocobingo that have this problem? No one else?
chief594
Send a message

Post by chief594
You know what.... that makes a lot of sense. When the roll out for international countries to be able to use voice commands came out, I was in Germany. It worked great. A few days later I went to the Netherlands and it disappeared. That very well could be the reason. I understand (though don't agree with) how you wouldn't be allowed to download it in some countries or that they'd block the functionality of voice commands (different servers, etc.) but I don't understand how it would be possible for the voice command menu to disappear from the settings screen altogether, but alas, I can't think of any other possibilities. I'd be interested to know if anyone else in the Netherlands or Belgium is able to use voice commands.
chief594
Send a message

Post by chief594
You got it. Done!
chief594
Send a message

Post by MaXyM_FTN
After almost 2 years I would like to rise up this issue again
Is it confirmed in some way, that voice commands feature is not available in some countries?

I'm from Czech Republic and have no option to activate it in my Waze@iP5
MaXyM_FTN
Send a message

Post by mr0big
I can confirm the same thing. I was in Austria when the new design came to my android phone, and I was first happy that now voice commands are available. Then when I got back home to Hungary, they disappeared right after crossing the border.

I can see no reason for this. I find it pretty much annoying.
mr0big
Send a message

Post by thewildman
I have the same problem on Android.
Right after updating Waze to the latest version (that was last week), I tried to active voice commands but they were missing from the menu.
Then this week-end I launched the app and was greeted by the voice commands menu where I had to chose the activation method.
Now, this morning I launched Waze as usual for my commute, and no more voice commands !! I can't activate them (3 fingers or wave don't work), and no more menu item ! :shock:
thewildman
Send a message

Post by thewildman
Some feedback (sorry for the delay) : I think I found the source of the problem.
This feature is only available for some countries, not for some languages. I had this feature while traveling in France, and back in Belgium this feature is gone again.
Very stupid if you ask me, but that's the way it is. It is not based on the language you chose in the settings, nor on the language of your system, but on your location.
So in the French speaking part of Belgium, with language set to French, I can't have voice commands... :roll:
thewildman
Send a message

Post by thewildman
chief594 wrote:but I don't understand how it would be possible for the voice command menu to disappear from the settings screen altogether
I guess there is a location check when the app starts, and the menu is dynamically built depending on where you are.
I really can't understand the justification for this though.
thewildman
Send a message

Post by thewildman
Chief594, could you maybe edit the subject so that this discussion is not iOS specific anymore ?
thewildman
Send a message